• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birch family of Aston

alitrem

proper brummie kid
I am researching my ancestors and looking for any information on the Birch family from Aston.

My 3x great grandmother is Emma Birch born: abt 1871 in Birmingham died: June ?? 1901 in Aston, Warwickshire, England.
Looking for birth date, what was the date of her death in June ?? 1901 and burial location. A photo of the grave would be fantastic!
I have Emma in the 1881, 1891 & 1901 Census all in Aston. She was married to Francis John Donnelly March ?? 1890 (Volume 6D, Page 353). They had the following children: Mary Frances Donnelly (my 2x great grandmother), Agnes May Donnelly, Francis Joseph Patrick Donnelly & Elizabeth Ann Donnelly

She was the daughter of Edward Birch & Emma Hardy.

I do not have much about Edward Birch born abt 1846 in Warwickshire, England but hoping that someone might see this an recognize the name. I have him in the 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901 Census. I know his was married to Emma Hardy September 6, 1866 at St. Philip's Cathedral. This is a date given from an extended family member and have yet to track the marriage itself. I would like to find who his parents and death date is.

Edward & Emma had the following children: Emma, Matilda, Sarah Ann, Louisa, Edward, Lucy, Thomas & Susannah

I believe I have found a baptism record for an Edward Birch baptism in St. Mary, Warwickshire November 9, 1845 parents John Birch & Sarah. I am not 100% sure but again hoping maybe someone recognizes it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

LDS has the following info
Name:Edward Birch
Groom's Birth Date:1845
Groom's Age:21
Bride's Name:Emma Hardy
Bride's Birth Date:1848
Bride's Age:18
Marriage Date:05 Sep 1866
Marriage Place:St. Philip'S Cathedral, Birmingham, Warwick, England
Groom's Father's Name:John Birch
Bride's Father's Name:Thomas Hardy

Possible death/burial for Edward's father John?
John Birch
Burial Date:23 Dec 1849
Burial Place:St. Mary, Warwick, England
Birth Date:1823

This could be Edward with his mother?
1851 Address: Brook Street, St Marys Warwick, Warwick
Sarah Birch, Head Widow aged 32 born 1819 Stratford on Avon Char Woman
Edward Birch, Son aged 5 born 1846 Warwick Scholar
John Birch, Son aged 3 born 1848 Warwick Scholar
Matilda Burton, Sister Married aged 26 born 1825 Warwick Domestic
William Burton, Nephew Unmarried aged 9 months born 1851 Warwick

Oh this could be right! We had 2 sons Edward in 1845, John in 1848
I will have to look into ordering this deth certificate to see if this could be right.

This could be Edward with his mother?
1851 Address: Brook Street, St Marys Warwick, Warwick
Sarah Birch, Head Widow aged 32 born 1819 Stratford on Avon Char Woman
Edward Birch, Son aged 5 born 1846 Warwick Scholar
John Birch, Son aged 3 born 1848 Warwick Scholar
Matilda Burton, Sister Married aged 26 born 1825 Warwick Domestic
William Burton, Nephew Unmarried aged 9 months born 1851 Warwick

YES this is his mother, Matilda is Susannah's sister.

Hello. This is my first time to this site. I have been researching the Donnelly name for a long time and have got nowhere. I know my grandmother Agnes May Donnelly was from Aston and was living in a Home during her teenage years. Her mother died and her father and the rest of her family moved to Canada. All I know is she had a sister called Mary and I thought she had a brother William. My mother (her daughter) died last year and we found a few pictures my grandmother had received during the 1960s from Canada with photos of two young girls Carol and Linda aged 4 and 2 1/2 taken in 1949. There is also a wedding photo taken in 1957 and a picture of someone called Frank. Because my nan was left here with no family it has been very difficult to trace ancestors. I remember she used to talk about her sister Mary who was a lot younger than her. My nan, Agnes, was born in 1894 but we never knew where her family originally came from. My mother remembers her brother coming over to England during the war. He used to come and visit my nan. My nan went on to marry Harry Goode who was from the Nechells area of Birmingham. I would be grateful if you could let me know if all this information is connected to your family.

Alitrems ancestors are yours too Susan.

1891 Fraqncis Street , Duddeston
Francis donelly age 26 born St Johns Newfoundland, Coachman
Emma Donelly age 20 born Birmingham Prees worker.

1901 Great Brook Street
Francis Donnelly age 34 born Newfoundland, Canada.
Emma age 30 born birmingham (died in June qtr 1901)
Mary age 9 daughter
Agnes age 7 daughter
Francis age 6 son
Lizzie age 4 daughter

In 1911 Agnes M Donnelly is a boarder in Great Brook street.She married Harry goode in 1916.
Francis age 6 son
Lizzie age 4 daughter

Last edited:
Frances Donnelly aged 43 born 1868 Dublin (?) Labourer
Harriet Donnelly Wife aged 31 born 1880 Oxon Banbury
Margaret Donnelly Daughter aged 5 born 1906 Birmingham
William Donnelly Son aged 8 Mths born 1911 Birmingham
Francis Donnelly Son Single aged 15 born 1896 Errand Boy Birmingham
Married7years
There is a family tree on Ancestry with the following details?
Michael Joseph Donnelly
Birth: 21 Jul 1910 - Warwickshire,(Birth Certificate name William Anthony Donnelly)
Baptism 26 Oct 1912 Age: 2 at Brownsburg, Argenteuil, Quebec, Canada (Baptism is under the name William Patrick)
Marriage: 04 Feb 1933 (4 Feb 1933) - Québec (Quebec)
Death: 22 Dec 1988 - Edmonton, Alberta
Parents: Francis John Donnelly, Harriet Smith
Spouse: Catherine Ann Hutchison

Francis John Donnelly

Father Patrick Donnelly 1831 –
Mother Elizabeth 1835 –
Spouse & Children

Emma Birch 1871 – 1901
Mary Frances Donnelly 1892 – 1958
Agnes May Donnelly 1893 –
Francis Joseph Patrick Donnelly 1895 – 1967
Elizabeth Ann Donnelly 1896 – 1971
Francis John Donnelly
1881 Age: 16 at Maryhill, Lanarkshire, Scotland
1890 Marriage to Emma Birch

Aston, Warwickshire, Volume 6d, Page 353
1911 Marriage to Harriet Smith
6 Jan St. Michaels Church, Birmingham, England Volume 6d, Page 177

Arrival 22 May 1911 Montreal, Quebec, Canada S.S. Hesperian
Death

28 Apr 1934 Age: 69 Montréal (Basilique Notre-Dame), Québec

So fascinated with all the information you have on Birch family. They are definitely linked with the Donnelly name family. I can recognise all the links with the names - Agnes (my grandmother), had a son named Francis, named after her father. Then I was born on his birthday, so my middle name is Frances. Looking at the information on the census my grandmother at the age of 17 was lodging in a another building and not living with the rest of the family. I don't know why. Also I find it strange that all the family moved to Canada, even her older sister, and she was left in Birmingham. Was this all due to her mother dying? I am now trying to find out did all the family stay in Canada and how many relatives do I have connected to Donnelly's.

Susan R

Trying to get in touch with Susan R about the pictures of the three children they seem to be cousins of my sister in law I have tried messages and e-mail but she has does not want to receive any. can anyone help me get in touch with her???

Re: Susan R

OK I have found the original post - As Susan has chosen to not receive any contacts there is nothing that can be done but hope that she replies to your request. You may need to keep an eye open for a reply but it will be better to watch the thread that Susan replied to as she may not see this one.

PS - Posts moved to this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Susan R - Sorry I have not replied my computer has been out of order. I will sort the photos out I have and e-mail them as soon as I can.

trying to get in touch with Susan R in regards to Donnelly family photo of three children. have tried messenger and posting a thread but reply. can anyone help me to contact her

trying to get in touch with Susan R in regards to Donnelly family photo of three children. have tried messenger and posting a thread but reply. can anyone help me to contact her
Doug please read post 16. If Susan has chosen to not receive messages via the forum then that is her choice and you will need to await her response on this thread.

Susan can you please get in touch with me. My great grandmother was Mary you refer to in your above posts

Back