• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

B'ham Aston & Nechells Surnames

Wowwwwwwwww!!!!!!! so dam fast thanks for your help, sure ill have more questions at a later date.

Kind Regards Trevor White ( Mothers Side A Hewitt)

Just the Biggest thank you to you! Just Great... thanks so much... sure ill have more Questions for you all .

Kind Regards Trevor White ( Thats my Great Grandfather ) found him yipppppppy:D

I think Trevor is happy with the results of his question:D The people here are so helpful..........brilliant!:)

do you know anything about W Morton on your list. He would have lived in Curzon steet 53 , back of 27. or any other Mortons who were recruited.

Dear OC. Do you have any further information or photographs of Amos Bown (my great Uncle)

I would welcome some help as I am consistently drawing a blank with this side of the family. The info I have is Frederick William died in WW1 in Belgium in 1915- he was in Royal Welsh Fusliers - his birth place is listed as Birmingham, D.O.B unknown. I have his mariage certificate to Lily Hawker in 1910 and in 1911 they were living in Stella Street, Aston. His dad is listed on his marriage certificate as Thomas William Reid (deceased) - occupation gas labourer. I cannot find them on the census' or anything and it is really frustrating!!

I would welcome some help as I am consistently drawing a blank with this side of the family. The info I have is Frederick William died in WW1 in Belgium in 1915- he was in Royal Welsh Fusliers - his birth place is listed as Birmingham, D.O.B unknown. I have his mariage certificate to Lily Hawker in 1910 and in 1911 they were living in Stella Street, Aston. His dad is listed on his marriage certificate as Thomas William Reid (deceased) - occupation gas labourer. I cannot find them on the census' or anything and it is really frustrating!!

what exactly is it you are looking for ?,
I have seen them on the 1911 and as you say have been married for just 1 year.
The marriage cert will say how old Frederick was at that time, so you should be able to find his birth from that.
Let us know for sure what you are looking for and am sure someone here on this site will be able to help.

Derek

I would like a birth certificate, but when I look for around 1880 there is only one for Frederick William Reed - could this be the same person with a different spelling of the surname? Because I can't find them on the earlier census' I am unable to get any further back than Thomas - his father. I also know that Thomas died young and would like a death certificate, but without any information I can't get this. I suspect what's holding me back is the surname has changed - could this be possble?

I am really hoping that you might be able to supply some more information about Richard Joseph Asbury. He lived at Little Green Lane with his parents Richard and Ellen Asbury and his seven sisters one of those sisters was my grandmother. I know that he was killed at Doignes on 4th August 1917. He was in 10th Batallion Welsh Fusiliers, number 60355. I have a photograph of him as a boy and I have a copy of a letter written by him from France but I would very much like to find out some more information about Richards war.
I notice that there is another Asbury on your list and wonder if this could be a relation of Richards.
Helen

I am really hoping that you might be able to supply some more information about Richard Joseph Asbury. He lived at Little Green Lane with his parents Richard and Ellen Asbury and his seven sisters one of those sisters was my grandmother. I know that he was killed at Doignes on 4th August 1917. He was in 10th Batallion Welsh Fusiliers, number 60355. I have a photograph of him as a boy and I have a copy of a letter written by him from France but I would very much like to find out some more information about Richards war.
I notice that there is another Asbury on your list and wonder if this could be a relation of Richards.
Helen

Hi There

I am researching HEWITT, and looking for school friends of Brenda SMITH. I cannot help you with your search for Richard Joseph ASBURY. I am sorry, but wish you look with your research.

Regards from Jacko.

Just noticed this Thread.
I would apreciate any information photographs of Richard Hanks he was in the R.W.F regiment number 9772 in about 1914. He was born in Birmingham abt 1887 . I am told he was a P.O.W in oct 1914. He was my grandfathers brother.
My grandfather was Thomas hanks who was in the 10th Royal Warwickshire regiment number private 6054 . He was born in Bromsgrove in 1880 . They both lived in and around summer lane pre First World War .
Regards
John

Last edited:
Thomas Harnes was killed on the 30 Oct 1914 and is named on the memorial at Ypres. Do you have a photo or any other info.

Thank you

My grandfather, Frederick William Reid joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers initially in 1900 and then re enlisted in 1914. Any ideas where I might find a photo? I have his medal card information and service records. Any other info would be great. Thanks

Hi,
Just wanted to know if anyone else is looking for the surname Glew in Aston/Nechells if you are please get in touch.
Thanks
Cath

please can anyone share information on Wardell 8312 was a regular recalled in 1914 to the 2nd battalion royal welsh fusiliers

Name: William Alfred Wardell
Birth Place: Birmingham
Death Date: 25 Sep 1915
Death Location: France & Flanders
Enlistment Location: Birmingham
Regiment: Royal Welsh Fusiliers Battalion: 2nd Battalion
Number: 8312
Type of Casualty: Killed in action
Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

1901 at 2, 14, House Court, Great Russell Street, Birmingham
William Wardell, Widower aged 72 born 1829 Birmingham, Gun Finisher
Mary Ann Wardell, Daughter Single aged 48 born 1853 Birmingham,
Agnes Wardell, Daughter Single aged 32 born 1869 Birmingham, Pen Slitter
William Wardell, Grand Son Single aged 18 born 1883 Birmingham, Cycle Maker

1911 at Court 8 4 L St Georges St Birmingham
William Alfred Wardell, aged 28 born 1883 Birmingham, Brass Dipper
Margaret Wardell, Wife aged 28 born 1883 Birmingham, Press Worker
Mark William Wardell, Son aged 2 born 1909 Birmingham
Married 3 years
Marriages Mar 1908
William Alfred Wardell married Margaret Cassidy Birmingham 6d 147

1891 at 112, Tower Street, Birmingham
William Wardell, aged 61 born 1830 Birmingham, Licensed Victualler
Mary A Wardell, Wife aged 60 born 1831 Birmingham,
Mary A Wardell, Daughter Single aged 30 1861 Birmingham, Living On Own Means,
William Wardell, Son Single aged 28 born 1863 Birmingham, Gun Finisher
William Wardell, Grandson aged 7 born 1884 Birmingham,

1881 at 112, Tower St, Birmingham
William Wardell, aged 52 born 1829 Bham, Retail Brewer
Mary Ann Wardell, Wife aged 52 born 1829 Bham,
William Wardell, Son Single aged 23 born 1858 Bham, Brass Dipper
Albert Wardell, Son Single aged 21 born 1860 Bham, Brass Founder
Alfred Wardell, Son Single aged 17 born 1864 Bham, Silversmith
Harry Wardell, Son aged 15 born 1866 Bham, Silversmith
Agnes Wardell, Daughter aged 13 born 1868 Bham,

1871 at 10 Court 11 House, Newtown Row Birmingham
William Wardell, aged 42 born 1829, Birmingham
Mary Ann Wardell, Wife aged 42 born 1829, Birmingham
Mary Ann Daughter F 17 born 1854, Birmingham
William Wardell, Son aged 13 born 1858, Birmingham
Albert Wardell, Son aged 11 born 1860, Birmingham
Alfred Wardell, Son aged 7 born 1864, Birmingham
Harry Wardell, Son aged 5 born 1866 Birmingham
Agnes Wardell, Daughter aged 3 born 1868, Birmingham

Hi frenchfries111.
I know its a bit late now but I have only just read your letter and the names you are after are in my family tree.
I have a copy of Violets marriage cert with her living at 17 Banbury St and her new husband at No 13 his name is Joseph William Johnston, the witness's are George Hewitt and Florence Georgina Hewitt.

Regards Acklam19.

Photo or information available of the men of Birmingham who joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in the Great War 1914-18
Abel F - Allbutt P - Allen James - Allen R.E *‚*–Arbuthnot - Arkell R.E*‚** -Asbury - Asbury R.J - Bainares F - Banner J - Bannjng A.H. - Bass C.H .-Bates R.H - Bath H. -Batty J.- Baxter A.N. -Beddoes-Bent A.G.-Bevan A.G,- Birks J- Bishop T.- Blake Cpl.G.P.- Blake G.P.-Blaymires -Bluck -Boneham- Boswell Reuben- Bown A *‚*– Braganhall -Bridgewater J.O.-Brogan- Brooks - Brown- Broxton B.- Bunce- Bunce S- Bustin R.-Butler J.-Butwell W.A.-Carter B.-Chatwin W.-Checketts F.E.A.-
Chilwell W.-Collins A-Cooke F.-Cooper E.-Cox J.W.-Crump H.-Cumberland-Currah J.H.-Dandy H.-Darby A.-Davies F.W-Davies J.F.J- Dayus F.-Downs I.- Earp W.F.-Eccles J.W.-Edwards W.-Edwin -England W. -Evans C.C.-Evans E.-Everett F.-Everton - Farr S.-*‚** Faulkner FT.- Fellows C.H.-Field C.- Finlan J.-Fox H.-Garratt A.-Garratt E-G.Gazey-George G.F.-Gerrand A.E.- Gibb.F.-Gilderthorpe -Giles J.-Golby J. F.- Gorman E.P.-Greaves G.C.-Green E.W.-Green F.E.-Greenway F.W.F.-Grimmet T.- Hall Albert *‚*– Hand - Hanks P.O.- Harnes T.-Harper H.J.-Harris-Harvey A.V.-Heath A. H.-Hewitt T.-Higgins G.-Higginson F.H.- Hill J.- Hill T.-Hodgetts H.J.-Hogan-Hopkins W.-Hughes A.-Hunt-Huskisson T.-Ison J-Jackson Cpl.-Jackson F.-Jackson J.-James E.G.-James G.H.-Jarvis W.-Jenkins A.E.-Jennings E.-Jones G.- Kathrens G.- Keepax W - King J.W.- Kinsell W.- Latham G.H.-Lavender A.- Lawley T.- Lawrence C.- Lawrence C.L.- Lees G.- Lewis - Lewis J.- Linthwaite A.E.- Long E.- Maddocks A.B.-*‚** Malins T.W.- Marshall- Mathews S.- Mclndoe J.- Meredith W.- Mincher T.- Mitchell P.G.- Morgan T.- Morris- Morton W.- Neale- Nesmith A.- Nickolls T.W.- Norton A.H.- Oates.A- O'Gara A.- Page Pte. - Page W.- Palmer R.- Parker A- Parker LCE - Penn J.- Perks A.G - Priest- Puffer R.- Puffet R.- Rackshaw - Rackshaw A.V- Richards A.C - Richards T.- Ricketts R- Robinson J.- Robinson S.- Rock - Roden D.- Rowe F.S.- Rushton F.G.- Sankey- Saunders C.- Scragg W.- Shepard T.- Simkins J.W.- Simpson W.A.- Smith A.- Smith Albert - Smith G.L - Snooks W.- Somerfield E.E. - Stanley J.- Stead R.- Stevens B. - Stockwell W.H. - Stokes J.- Stonehouse T.- Stubbs S. - Stubley G - Styche I. - Tarrat S.- Taylor J. - Taylor J.H. - Thomas W.-Thompson P.W.G - Tiplady P. -Tracy - Troman E.- Turral H.F.- Twyford A. -Vale H.-Vince A.- Wakelin C.J.J.- Wallace C.- Wardell - Webster A - Webster C.F.- Wells J.R.-*‚** Whitfield- Whitfield A.- Whittaker A.- Wilkes H.- Wilkes Harry -Williams A - Williams Albert - Williams T.- Withington -Woods F.- Wright G.- Yendall G
Hi do you have any info on R Ricketts , my relatives lived in Nechells park rd at that time,
thanks

Hi do you have any info on R Ricketts , my relatives lived in Nechells park rd at that time,
thanks

Hello...thank you for replying...this is all wonderful!
I dont know how I could get a copy of the photo...I could then work out who it is....I know there are lovely people who could point me towards finding a way to get to the records
I think thats the connection between William Thursfield and Evelyn Hand...they both lived in this area!

FELLOWS. C.H - Field C

This is my Grandfather, I would really love to see photographic material of him from his time in RWF.

Regards and Happy Christmas to all

Derek.

Back