• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

B'ham Aston & Nechells Surnames

Cromwell do you have any information or photos' at all of a C Wallace he was my gt gt uncle i think he served in the RWF in the Great War, i noticed his name on your list. His first name was Charles. Thanks.
Laraine.

Laraine the Wallace I have is Christopher Wallace and its a shame as I have some nice photographs of him in India

Never mind thanks anyway Cromwell its only just very recently that i have found out i had a gt gt uncle that served in the war maybe i have the wrong regiment but he was definately Charles Wallace b.1889 of the Aston/Nechells area.

My granddad, Martin Brislin, from Aston, born October 1883 was in the Great War.
He was in the Royal Warwickshire regiment.

I don't really have much more information, so understand if nothing can be found out...
except that he finished his days in Highcroft, due to the effects of something like shell-shock, and he had been gassed and invalided out, mom has just told me
He died about 1963

Does anyone have any info. on a James (Jim) Draper? Family stories say that he was in the RFC, killed in WW1. He really is a brick wall for me. I cannot find him at Central Library, the war graves on line - anywhere?!? I looked for his medal card - over 40 names. We have a medal star engraved on the back, 'From Jim to Fred, 16.9.1917'. He's a complete mystery. ANY suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Unfortunately, can't get down to Kew.

Watton, First mistake is listening to family stories as 99%of the time info about Great War is Wrong.
What evidence have you got he was killed

Mazbeth
National Archives has a medal card for Martin Brislin RWR it might be him.

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Description Medal card of Brislin, Martin
Corps Regiment No Rank
Royal Warwickshire Regiment 201477 Private
Royal Warwickshire Regiment 201477 Private

Date 1914-1920
Catalogue reference WO 372/3
Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War
Piece Boundy D H - Campbell H
Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

Number of image files: 1

Image Reference Format and Version Part Number Size (KB) Number of Pages Price (?)
552704 / 25819 PDF 1.2 1 202 1 3.50
Total Price (?) 3.50

Colin

Colin all the info is their for the taking if only folk listen to what has been said on this site ......but

Dear Colin, I very much appreciate you taking the time to look that up...
I found that (it may have been after I made my previous post here), and will be applying for the medal card, when we can get a payment organised, (as we don't have a credit card).
Have talked to my mom, since, and she confirms things about what that info. reveals...(such as the fact he was based at Thorp St.)
because Terry Carter, off 'B'ham Pals forum, says that with that regiment number he probably was with the 1st or 2nd of the Royal Warwickshire 5th regiment....so one thing leads to another...
Have only begun finding any of this out last week, and am busy with so many other things (like 2 teens,  ??? who I am trying to educate about their g/granddad, especially today :().

Thankyou Cromwell, the things you post have also been part of what I am now discovering. I am grateful to all. This is all part of me, and my kids.

Just found out from my husband too, that his uncle (great-uncle? need to check what he said) was in it.
(His dad was a P.O.W. in the near East...even though my husband is 9 years older than me, his parents got married younger than mine did).

Hello Cromwell (and everyone else reading)

There is a name GOLBY on your list. I am looking for more information on a "George Golby" Is this possibly one and the same?

thanks in advance for any information

Sue :)

I had a mate Derek Golby lived William Henry St Nechells, the chap on my list who I have his picture is
Lc Cpl James Fredrick Golby (my dads pal ) killed in action at High Wood Somme his mother lived Winson Green and had another 4 sons serving in the army

CROMWELL'S WW1 KNOWLEDGE O0

I wonder if you have any information on the 7th Hussars..‚.. I have a great uncle who was a trouper in that unit --His name was.‚.. John Edwin Smith No. 529467. He was.‚.. married on the 24th Dece.1924 age 29yr and profession was given as a Trouper. I dont know when he joined up, but would love to find his 'records' so any help would be appreciated.
Thank you for your time.

Cheers AnnMarie O0

are there any pictures of these men? especially
Fellows CH

Photo or information available of the men of Birmingham who joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in the Great War 1914-18
Abel F - Allbutt P - Allen James - Allen R.E .‚.–Arbuthnot - Arkell R.E.‚.. -Asbury - Asbury R.J - Bainares F - Banner J - Bannjng A.H. - Bass C.H .-Bates R.H - Bath H. -Batty J.- Baxter A.N. -Beddoes-Bent A.G.-Bevan A.G,- Birks J- Bishop T.- Blake Cpl.G.P.- Blake G.P.-Blaymires -Bluck -Boneham- Boswell Reuben- Bown A .‚.– Braganhall -Bridgewater J.O.-Brogan- Brooks - Brown- Broxton B.- Bunce- Bunce S- Bustin R.-Butler J.-Butwell W.A.-Carter B.-Chatwin W.-Checketts F.E.A.-
Chilwell W.-Collins A-Cooke F.-Cooper E.-Cox J.W.-Crump H.-Cumberland-Currah J.H.-Dandy H.-Darby A.-Davies F.W-Davies J.F.J- Dayus F.-Downs I.- Earp W.F.-Eccles J.W.-Edwards W.-Edwin -England W. -Evans C.C.-Evans E.-Everett F.-Everton - Farr S.-.‚.. Faulkner FT.- Fellows C.H.-Field C.- Finlan J.-Fox H.-Garratt A.-Garratt E-G.Gazey-George G.F.-Gerrand A.E.- Gibb.F.-Gilderthorpe -Giles J.-Golby J. F.- Gorman E.P.-Greaves G.C.-Green E.W.-Green F.E.-Greenway F.W.F.-Grimmet T.- Hall Albert .‚.– Hand - Hanks P.O.- Harnes T.-Harper H.J.-Harris-Harvey A.V.-Heath A. H.-Hewitt T.-Higgins G.-Higginson F.H.- Hill J.- Hill T.-Hodgetts H.J.-Hogan-Hopkins W.-Hughes A.-Hunt-Huskisson T.-Ison J-Jackson Cpl.-Jackson F.-Jackson J.-James E.G.-James G.H.-Jarvis W.-Jenkins A.E.-Jennings E.-Jones G.- Kathrens G.- Keepax W - King J.W.- Kinsell W.- Latham G.H.-Lavender A.- Lawley T.- Lawrence C.- Lawrence C.L.- Lees G.- Lewis - Lewis J.- Linthwaite A.E.- Long E.- Maddocks A.B.-.‚.. Malins T.W.- Marshall- Mathews S.- Mclndoe J.- Meredith W.- Mincher T.- Mitchell P.G.- Morgan T.- Morris- Morton W.- Neale- Nesmith A.- Nickolls T.W.- Norton A.H.- Oates.A- O'Gara A.- Page Pte. - Page W.- Palmer R.- Parker A- Parker LCE - Penn J.- Perks A.G - Priest- Puffer R.- Puffet R.- Rackshaw - Rackshaw A.V- Richards A.C - Richards T.- Ricketts R- Robinson J.- Robinson S.- Rock - Roden D.- Rowe F.S.- Rushton F.G.- Sankey- Saunders C.- Scragg W.- Shepard T.- Simkins J.W.- Simpson W.A.- Smith A.- Smith Albert - Smith G.L - Snooks W.- Somerfield E.E. - Stanley J.- Stead R.- Stevens B. - Stockwell W.H. - Stokes J.- Stonehouse T.- Stubbs S. - Stubley G - Styche I. - Tarrat S.- Taylor J. - Taylor J.H. - Thomas W.-Thompson P.W.G - Tiplady P. -Tracy - Troman E.- Turral H.F.- Twyford A. -Vale H.-Vince A.- Wakelin C.J.J.- Wallace C.- Wardell - Webster A - Webster C.F.- Wells J.R.-.‚.. Whitfield- Whitfield A.- Whittaker A.- Wilkes H.- Wilkes Harry -Williams A - Williams Albert - Williams T.- Withington -Woods F.- Wright G.- Yendall G

is it just possible you may have information on
FELLOWS CH (grandad)
he was promted to 2nd Lt around 1918

You are a lucky chap....his photo was in Picture World on 30th July 1915
and the strange address of 1 Ashely Street, Gooch St B'ham

Last edited by a moderator:
Cromwell you have blown us away !!:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
THIS IS MY GRANDAD:) :) :) :) :) :)
Pictures of him have been very sc...., like hens teeth.
I have been gnawing away at this for a couple of years and just over a couple of months on this site, YOU HAVE DONE IT !!:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Thank you so much.
your help and information is invaluable.:) :) :) :) :)
I posted the only photo we have of him in my first few days with you and have just been waiting for this day.
Am waiting for post to come from GRO at Glasgow o apply to see his army record as Kew were not able to let me view it, because of a letter "P" in front of his file number meant to hem it was protected. Glasgow have replied to my email very quickly and hopefuly it looks as it may not be a problem, will keep you informed.
Nothing more I can say but thanks sooooooooo much
Derek

Well done Cromwell another brilliant find.........where would we be without you!

DITTO again Moma P
:) :) :)
The paper / magazine you speak of Cromwell (Picture World) could I find out more about it? especially that copy.
Derek

C.H.Fellows was a time served soldier who did his time in India with Frank Richards his number was 6919 and was in the 2nd Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers loads of photo's which I put in Old Soldier Sahib..........I have about 8 books left its a cracking read about the 2nd Battalions tour of India and recalled to the colours at the outbreak of the Great War
If you are allowed access to the archives (Brum Central library)photo is in PictureWorld 30th Dec 1915 and the paper is in a delicate state

I do have one more picture of CH Fellows (grandad) I have edited it from his wedding picture , how could I forget taken in 1910, looks like we are talking of the same man, I do hope so.
What do you all think.
Derek

Same chap Derek, sent you a PM, went I have time I will see if I have one of him in India as I have all the Battalion photo's

Derek, Your granddad was in India in 1905 he also went to Burma but you can read all that in the book....but I have additional info from Regimental Orders by the Officer Commanding 2nd Batt.RWF Agra 1906 (it was a weekly printed paper) and I have found two mentions of Fellows
In the one dated August 24th 1906 from Agra
DEPRIVATION -Number 6919 Lc/Cpl C.Fellows A Company, has this day been deprived of his appointment as Lance-Corporal for "Absent from parading with patrol picquets at Retreat.
In another one dated Monday 3rd Sept. 1906
FURLOUGH - The undermentioned N-C-O and men of A Company are granted furlough, from and to dates stated against their names No 6919 C Fellows 5-9-06 to 26-9-06
I have large format photo's of all the Batt Comps A.B.C.D.E.F.G.and H
Have cropped your grandfather out of one of A company so if you PM me your E-mail address later I will send you the photo

Obtaining Army Personnel Papers for Grandad

Morning Cromwell,
Have just got application paperwork from Army Personnel Centre in Glasgow.
Was a little dissapointed to see that there WILL be a charge of £30 for their help in locating his files. This, they say can take a 6-8 months and if nothing is found a refund WILL NOT be given.
This service is free to The Widow/Widower of the person in question, and as Grandad was born in 1885 I do not see this being applicable.???
Have no option but to give it a try.
Just once more I must thank you for your help in pictures and information about him. Have bought Old Soldier Sahib, in paperback version. When it arrived there were no pictures so have asked my local library to locate the hardback version. :) :)
Still getting through it, work and other duties slowing me down but have to say it is a very good read so far.
Best regards
Derek

Death Certificate needed also by A.P.C. Glasgow

This WILL be tricky.
Not known when he died as sadly he and Grandma parted c1940.
It is thought he moved to Leominster but all efforts by me to trace him so far have failed.
Guees I will have to hang onto my cheque a look a little deeper for his death.
Derek

Derek if you did not get the version I told you to get their is no pictures in either book
There are many different versions on E Bay etc ...none have photo's in
If you got it from the RWF museum were I told you to get it from tell them they have made a mistake and get it exchanged
The Library will not have a copy as it was printed privately 2000 copies ( nearly all are sold out on both books )and you can only get it from were I told you

I have sold out of all my copies of Old Soldier Sahib (with over 115 photo's plus 6 maps all drawn by me )
but I have six copies of
Old Soldier Never Die packed with photo's left

Additional info ... Derek I feel you never took my advice so their is not much more I can add
I try to help folk all I can but at the end of the day what you do is you decision ...all the best...if you need further help PM me

Last edited by a moderator:
Was there an age limit for recruitment?

I have a W Morton as my grandfathers brother but on 1901 census he was 32?

Looking for any information on the Hewitts who lived at 17, Banbury Street, Birmingham.

George Hewitts lived there in 1912.
George and Richard Hewitt in 1920 together with a John William Johnson.
Albert Edward Hewitt and Ellen Hewitt lived there in 1925.
Howard James Hewitt and Lillian Hewitt in 1930 together with Lillian and Joseph Bates.
In 1935 a Margaret Mary Bird is living there.
Hope that helps.
Lynda:)

Back