• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bevan Family from Lennox street

Pete Ex Pat

master brummie
I am looking for info on the Bevan family from Lennox Street, My grandmother had a shop in the street at No 46 there were 8
children George,Fred,Alf,Helen (nelle)Hilda,Harold,Edward (Ted ) and Oliver. Hilda Married Horace Astle had two Children Betty and
Derek, Fred Married Ivy Persal they hasd three Children Ronald, Roy,and Pat. Oliver married Ellen Mayo

Hope you can help

not sure what info you want. in the 1911 they were living as you said at 46 lennox st.

alfred bevan 33 electro plate worker turner b.bham
ellen bevan 31 b.bham
alfred bevan 9 b.bham
nellie bevan 5 b.bham
frederick bevan 3 b.bham
george bevan 1 b.bham
emma stevens aunt married 58 brass solderer b.bham

they had been married 10 yrs and had had 5 children but 1 had died

hi pete
i remember the two bevan brothers in lenox street around the early 1950 s
along with tommy douglas family there is one or two more but i just cannot think of there names at the moment but the two bevan brothers got themselves mixed up into some trouble
but years later they formerd a painting and decorating bussiness
they settled down after the troubles and they got themselves qualifyed with the apprenticeship and set up there bussiness through out the sixtys and seventys done done extremely well for them selves
have a nice day best wishes astonion

Thanks for the info did not know one of ther children had died. I think Hilda was borne 1912 Then Harold then Edward then my father Oliver 1918. Info was just stores about the family or were they are now and ther ofspring !!1

Many thanks any way .

I am looking for info on the Bevan family from Lennox Street, My grandmother had a shop in the street at No 46 there were 8
children George,Fred,Alf,Helen (nelle)Hilda,Harold,Edward (Ted ) and Oliver. Hilda Married Horace Astle had two Children Betty and
Derek, Fred Married Ivy Persal they hasd three Children Ronald, Roy,and Pat. Oliver married Ellen Mayo

Hope you can help

What do you want to know Pete? These are distant relatives of mine on my mom's side, and there are quite a few of us Bevan offspring in touch in Birmingham and Australia. There is a lovely cousin Sue in Shirley who is the 'keeper of the scrolls' and can fill you in on everything we have on Alfred et al, and others. As Astoninan mentioned, we may not have had a sqeaky clean history, but one of us (Stephen Bevan) is credited with saving General Montgomery’s life and got a medal for it...so that should be worth a mention at least.

This is the story as I have it, but I’m sure there are others closer to your branch who would know a lot more, but then again you might already know this. Glad I found you anyway. Write me a message and I’ll do the rest. Have a nice day cuz.

1 Alfred William Bevan
--------------------------------------------------
Birth: 11 Nov 1876, Cottage Row, Wells Street
Death: 1956
Father: Charles Bevan (1845-1918)
Mother: Ann Elizabeth Barnett (184:cool:

1901 Marriage 45 James Street - witnesses Charles Bevan & Ann Bevan

Spouse: Ellen Stevens
Birth: 24 Apr 1879, 35Ct Great Russell Street
Death: 1952
Father: Arthur Stevens
Mother: Emma Best
Marriage: 25 Dec 1901, St Peter & St Paul, Aston

Children: Alfred Arthur Charles (1902-1968)
Nellie (1905-1976)
Frederick (1908-1965)
George (1910-1967)
Hilda (1912-1985)
Harold (1915-)
Edwin (1917-)
Oliver (1918-1987)

1.1 Alfred Arthur Charles Bevan
Birth: 1902, Birmingham
Death: 1968

1.2 Nellie Bevan
Birth: 1905, Birmingham
Death: 1976, Birmingham

1.3 Frederick Bevan
Birth: 1908, Birmingham
Death: 1965, Birmingham

Spouse: Ivy Pearsall
Marriage: 1932

1.4 George Bevan
Birth: 1910, Birmingham
Death: 1967, Birmingham

1.5 Hilda Bevan
Birth: 1912, Birmingham
Death: 1985, Birmingham

Spouse: Horace Astle

Leonard Bevan was J.Lucas apprentice who made his way to be Head Methods Engineer at Lucas Aerospace, Shaftsmoor Lane, he was a very nice man, is there any connection?, he died December 2009 RIP. Len.

Last edited:
My father ALF BRAMWELL .was a good friend of the family. particurlaly Fred . who worked at The B.ham Wholesale Fruit & Veg Market . .
Most of the male members were fishermen. . I would be aged 9 & can remember during the war we used to go on trips to Preston Baggot Henley in Arden aslo Lapworth. they would finish up at the Crabmill {i think} pub & then we would all have to run through the fields for the last .train. we used to crowd into one coach, kids on the luggage racks. & there would be a great sing song all the way to Snow Hill. Then we would have to walk home. (no buses.!!!} A really great family. My mom & dad had a fish & chip shop in Farm st. We used to go to your nans shop & I can remember going and & being loaded up with sugar at the begining of the war,, before it was rationed. Thank you Pete for bringing happy memories of your family & mine
Jean . California USA

Got to thinking about the old end (Lennox Street) the other day, After I found a photo of the old Brook Vale Tavern in Lennox Street and the hours I spent waiting out side formy Mom & Dad
with my bottle of pop ( Vimto) and a bag of smiths crisps. Listening to them in the snug bar singing Heart of my Heart and You made me love. Those were the days OK with no fear about playin in the street ???? Did you live in Lennox Street ???

Yours Pete

Hi Dennis, Think we have been in touch before through Ancestry. Did not know the story about Stephen Bevan but would like to know. Whos son is he and the family of Bevans...
Have looked for 2 Census records 1881 & 1871 for Alfred William Bevan's Father Charles Bevan 1845 can't find them any were any ideas.

Yours Pete Bevan

Yes we have! Thought it might be your good self. As you know we are all from Thomas and Temperence Bevan (b1789) an Awl Blade Maker from Pritchett Street. You are from eldest son Edward johnson, and I am from fifth son Stephen. The 1881 Census entry for Charles you are seeking is enclosed, the 1871 entry is still proving elusive. I will see if Sue has had any better luck. Take care.

Thanks for the info Dennis, No wonder I could not find it on the census search engine Pievans indeed and I thought I was a bad speller. You did not tell me about Stephen Bevan
in the war !!!!

Thanks your a star

Pete Bevan

Hi Peter

"All the Bevan boys came to Australia with their parents.
I have been in touch with relatives on the Bevan side that still live in
Birmingham.They come down through Edward Johnson Bevan. If it ok with you I
will give them your email address.
We are heading of to New Zealand at the end of next month for about a
month. Our daughter Peppa and her husband and their three little ones are
over there for a couple of years. David is on exchange from the Australian
Air Force. He is taking some of his students over to California for some
training in a simulator. Before they moved to New Zealand they were in
Queensland. Hopefully they will be able to transfer to Western Australia
when he has finished the exchange. Our son Christen is a museum curator for
a suburban council. It is something that he has wanted to do since his was
small. He lives in Perth so we see him quite often. Tascha is our youngest
and she lives in Townsville in Queensland where she goes to university
studying occupational therapy. Her boyfriend is also a pilot in the Air
Force. She is coming home for Christmas for a few weeks.
Thanks for the photo's although John can only get one to come through. Good
looking family. Can't see any family resemblances. I have a photo of
Grandfather Bevan when he was an old man. It was in the newspaper when he
met Monty in Perth. Apparently he save Monty's life during WW1. The only
photo I have of my father is a mug shot from his Air Force records. My
brother Douglas seems to take after the Bevan's,he has the Bevan nose. My
other brother Lee was killed in a trucking accident several years ago."

Good luck.

Dennis

Last edited:
Hi Dennis, No probs with you giving out my E-mail adress. Would be nice to hear from fellow Bevans.

Regards Pete Bevan

You may have seen this pic before from a Carl Chinn book.I thought i would post it in case you hadn,t.View attachment 61631

Thanks Topsyturvey For the photo of my grans shop in lennox street it has bought back so many memories for me of the old days. She was a great lady always had time for everyone, Iwould spend hours putting pennies in the old one arm bandit as any winnigs had to be put back in as it would upset the Red Injun who sat on top of bandit.

Many thanks

PS Ihave only found this today 18-02-11

Hi Pete
I am the grandson of Hilda Bevan.
As you say, Hilda Bevan married Horace Bevan. They had two children Derek and Betty.
I am the son of Derek and Jean Astle. I have another brother Keith.
Betty married Bob Cash and they had two children Darren and Debbie. I am also in touch with Darren.
I have never used this forum before but if there was a way of you sharing your email address with me then I would be happy to send you a copy of my family tree on which I have quite a bit of Bevan information.
Hope this helps? Where do you fit into the Bevan line?
regards
Geoff

Hope you can help

Hi expat
i can certainly remember little freddie from way back and the name mayo rings a bell with me
it as to be near on from the fifties i last seen little freddie as he was along with a friend and neibour tommy douglas
whom we called jack hadleys bull have a nice day best wishes astonian

Back