• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BENNETT - Aston, Tipton, Handsworth, Ladywood

Christine in Herts

proper brummie kid
Hello

I am researching a family of BENNETTs with roots in Leicestershire. The Head of the family was George, b 1839-40 N Kilworth, Leics. He was a general labourer and travelled around the country in search of work. He married Hannah BOOTH (b 1846 Alton, Cheshire) in Tipton in 1862. They still travelled around, but came back and settled in Aston/Handsworth/Ladywood. I think that George died in 1898 in Aston - he was recorded as "dec'd" in Nov 1911 on Leonard's marriage certificate (see #4 below), and that Hannah died in 1911 in Kings Norton.

There were four children of which I am aware:

1. Mary Hannah BENNETT b 1871 Bolton, Lancs, (m 1906q4 Aston 6d-517 Thomas MALLARD)
  2. Arthur BENNETT b 1873 Masham, Yorks (m 1906q2 Aston 6d-731 Gertrude Lillian SMALL) - postman & soldier
  3. Harry (George) BENNETT b 1880 Glossop (m 27 Jan 1907 St Andrews Bordesley, B'ham, Lily GRAYSTON) - soldier - "George" seems not to have been in constant use as a middle name.
  4. Leonard (Keith) BENNETT b 1887 Handsworth (m(1) 7 Nov 1911 Alice WARR) - tram driver - emigrated 1916 to Toronto, Canada, moving on to Detroit, in the USA, in 1924. He died in Florida in 1967. The name "Keith" was acquired after 1911.
If any of these names crops up in your tree, I'd be interested to find out more. All my info is research-based - with no family input. I haven't got all the certs, but there's good circumstantial evidence for me to believe that I have the family pretty accurately described here.

Christine

Posting under WARR, I am reminded:

Leonard's wife, (Roma) Alice, was a soprano of some quality, and also wrote children's stories (probably under her married surname, BENNETT). I'd love to find traces of either of those activities.

Christine

Back