• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bath Street Birmingham

also looking for information on a Terence Kenny ..younger brother of Thomas..who was the proprietor of rackett Court ..32 Bath street...and was there a link between St chads ...bishops house and rackett court ? my dad remembers a cannon roskell or similar name and a sister Gertrude thanks

As far as I can see none of your Thomas Kennys have a brother named Terence

For some years I've been looking for images of the Welsh Harper pub and the attached racket court which was home to the Birmingham Rackets Club for a few years from the late 1850s. No success so far.
I don't know if you have seen this.

1939 census has at No. 42 John Roskell Catholic priest along with 4 other priests and at No.32 45 occupants all male, no-one with surname Kenny

Thanks so much- that address was known as bishops house- it was opposite st chads cathedral hence the priests being there - l think they also gave mass to the navvies at my great grandads lodging house- Tackett court - my dad recalls father roskell

My great grandfather was a horse trader in Birmingham..Thomas Kenny he did his trading at a place called the block- does anyone know anything about the “block” thanks Tom

Horse trading still took place until the early 20th century (source, Carl Chinn's, Streets" of Brum") at the Horsefair , which was the street between the west end of Smallbrook St and the west end of Essex St. Presumably it was somewhere in that area, or perhaps this was a general term for this area

Thanks for that .. Carl Chinns brummagem mags and evening mail old brum articles are invaluable - he’s also helped me personally in my research… great brummie - l think you could be correct that the block is a local term for the horsefair Rgds Tom Kenny

Back