• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BATES Edwin Samuel born circa 1874

• Thread starter Thread starter spy001
  • Start date Start date
S

spy001

Hi,

I'm trying to trace one Edwin Samuel BATES. He was my g.grandfather (father of my grandmother Lily BATES born 1897). He appears on the 1901 census living at 7 Helena Place, Hingeston Street with his family. He is a railway porter aged 27 and claims to have been born in Birmingham, as does his wife Elizabeth BUDD (though I also have evidence that her name was Hannah Maria BUDD).

If anyone can shed any light on this family I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

Brian Fisk

Re: Edwin Samuel BATES born circa 1874

here they are in 1911 living 200 barrows rd. sparkhill

edwin bates 37 bread baker
hannah bates 36
edwin 15 brass polisher
lily 14 brass work carder
bertie 12
emily 10
gertrude 9
william 7
ethel 1 b. sparkhill worcs. (all others born bham)

they had been married 16yrs. had 8 children but 1 had died

This MAY be the family.

1911 census transcription details for: 200 Barrows Road Sparkhill Near Birmingham
spacer.gif
National Archive Reference:
spacer.gif
RG14PN18674 RG78PN1115 RD392 SD1 ED36 SN263
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Reg. District: Solihull Sub District: Solihull Parish: Yardley Enum. District: 36
Address: 200 Barrows Road Sparkhill Near Birmingham County: Warwickshire
spacer.gif
Name Relation Condition/
Yrs married
Sex Age Birth
Year
Occupation Where Born
BATES, Edwin Head Married M 37 1874 Bread Baker Birmingham
BATES, Hannah Wife F 36 1875 Birmingham
Married 16 years
BATES, Edwin Son Single M 15 1896 Brass Polisher Birmingham
BATES, Lily Daughter F 14 1897 Brass Work Carder Birmingham
BATES, Bertie Son M 12 1899 School Birmingham
BATES, Emily Daughter F 10 1901 School Birmingham
BATES, Gertrude Daughter F 9 1902 School Birmingham
BATES, William Son M 7 1904 School Birmingham
BATES, Ethel Daughter F 1 1910 Sparkhill Worcestershire

edwin samuel and hannah maria were living 200 barrows rd right through to 1939

then up to 1950 edwin was on his own at the same address

Shera and Dib - that's brilliant thanks. I have my grandmother's marriage certificate and that lists Edwin's profession as a baker so that fits very nicely. I wonder why his wife's name is given as Elizabeth in the 1901 census?

Now what I'd like to do is trace the family backwards so if anyone can help me with Edwin Samuel's parents I'd be very grateful.

Thanks again

Brian

ive been trying to trace this family backwards but not had any success. there are a couple of edwin bates but i dont think they are your family. the best way for you to trace them and be certain you have the correct parents is to send for the marriage certificate of edwin samuel bates to hannah maria budd. 1895 jan-mar aston 6d 252. this would give you edwins fathers name and occupation.

hannah maria is easier to trace back. in 1891 the family are living in blews st. bham
william budd 39 brass bedstead maker
hannah m budd 38
william 17 brass polisher
hannah m 16
james 12
nellie 5 all born bham

Hi
Edwin Samuel Bates B1874 aged 21 married Hannah Maria Budd B1875 aged 20 on 4 mar 1895 Aston parish
Grooms fathers name - edwin bates
Brides fathers name - william thomas budd
above taken from IGI record pilot search

Suzanne

HI SPYOO1
I Do not know whether or not its worth mentioning to you or shera to do a cencus
or registry listing of a certain person whom was a mr bates he was an elderly gentleman
whom lived less than half a mile away from hingestion st in the early years
he lived up the rd just past spring hil on the same time of the midland bank which was the start of momument rd it was a biggish house and if i remember he worked on the railway
it was just pass the spring hill libary and faceing the ols dance hall the pallie
which later became bulpitts he lived facing it
i have always thought of old mr bates since we had a cutting from a news paper on the forum not so long back regarding the lion on warstone lane
the mail took a pictur of these three gentlemen standing out side it closed down
i can remember that day it was taken in the papers that year and at first i did know this mr bates
and when i glanced at the picture i thougjht it was him as i pointed this out to an old friend but when we read the names it was not mr bates as i have just said some-one recently put this picture of that pub onand it brought memories of a mr bates whom lived oppersite the old dance hall the palli
so if some one checks for bates on monument rd birmingham 18 it just might be a sibbling or the mr bates son as i said hingrstion street was less than half a mile away these house up the road was bigger than the hingestion street and i think the mr bates i am thinking off did have a daughter named barbera
hope this may be connected to your plight failing that best of luck in your research
astonion ;;

Thank you for your post. Can you add any dates to your recollections?

HI THERE
the earliest years i can remember is the early forties and fifties
but i do recall he moved in the early fifties and he was an elderly chap middle age
but there again i find it hard to put ages on little short fellows
i cannot recall any house numbers it was a three or four fiqure number on the door
the houses on that first part of the monument rd was built on high ground
so off he pavent you had to walk up some steps on the front garden then walk a couple of paces
to the front door then there was a couple of steps to walk into the house
barbara as in the same class as me in the steward st school
sorry spy i cannot be more precise on this
as i said the reason i have mentioned it is because of living in hingestion street which was less than a half mile down the rd he worked for the railway and being mr bates and in those days people did not move to far away
owing to the housing market in those days it could be a coincidence but also familys did live close to each other in those days bearing and redflecting the image as i recall mr bates he would be in that age bracket to fit the bill
never or less its woth checking that cencus
is house was about twenty house from the corner of spring hill and the midland bank
and on the opersite side of the rd directly facing him was a petrol garage which had been there for donkeys years and the old music and dance hal the de pallie
well ; spy i wish you all the best and i hope that is your mr bates
best wishes astonion ;;;

In case this rings any bells for anyone else I now have the marriage certificate for Edwin Samuel BATES and Hannah Maria BUDD in which Edwin's father is given as Edwin BATES profession glasblower. In the 1881 census I find an Edwin A. BATES aged 27 a glassblower but no mention of a son Edwin. His wife is given as Ann E. BATES. In the 1901 census Edwin Samuel lives at 7 Helena Place, Hingeston Street; curiously in the 1891 census I find an Edward BATES (general labourer in chemical works) and wife Annie also living at Hingeston Street - is this coincidence or are they related.

If anyone can shed any further light on this family I'd be very grateful.

Brian Fisk

Back