• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Baseball in birmingham

caggyken

master brummie
HI ALL
Iwas watching some baseball on tv last night.My mind went back to the late 40s-to early 50s. Baseball hed become popular thanks
to the American service men stationed here. Ithink there was a local league formed ,many of the teams were from local factories.
I think that one team played at Hall Green dog track in York Rd . Any one have any memories of this????

Valor stoves had baseball played on their sports ground at wood lane Erdington before the fuel depot was built'

Cincinnati played their games at the Ritz park in Bordesley Green East.

...... and they definitely played at the Ritz until at least 1958, possibly 1960.

Last edited:
I remember my Sister going to watch a game over Sutton Coldfield but can't remember what year. Her grandson now plays for the Tampa Bay Rays.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

I remember watching baseball games with teams in full regalia in Witton Lakes Park, Erdington in the 1950's.

Last edited:
Back