• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barr Beacon Caravan Park

Yes there is a caravan site in Barr Beacon it is a residental park home site,im sure G G Jean will be able to throw some more light on this,i know it has been there for some years

Mau-reece

Sue yes we live only 10 minutes away by car. It overlooks fishing lakes owned by Foxhills riding school. If you require any more information let me know. Jean.

My cousin who I never met lived there with his family during the 60's, I imagine that the homes looked a lot different to those on the site today.

thanks both

Sue

Jean what is it like on that site,i have some bad reports about it,is the owner a woman i can remember some one telling me that they were having problems with a sale,im off into Burnham to have a mooch round the shops and have lunch.....pub of course

Moss

Hi Mossy have one for me too. I have heard not nice things about the place but am not sure who owns it now. Sue google Beacon Heights and it comes under Hartley Park Homes. We use the little pub called the Cat and Fiddle and if you feel fit you can walk it in 15 to 20mins. I worked with someone in th 60's who lived on there but it has gone rather up market now with the homes fetching more than houses. Bye. Jean.

You never know Sue as someone passed a comment about the name Smith and did I know the Smith clan from Witton road. Out of all the thousands and more of Smiths in Brum I am only married to one of them and now Dave is back in touch with his old mates. All from this site. Jean.

well his surname was Markley.. I also have Smith's in my family..

When my aunt was a child she had a friend called Margaret Smith, who turned out to be cousin. They only found out when they went to the cemetery to put flowers on Margret's great grandmother's grave, which of course was my Aunt's great grandmother...they had known each other for about 15 yrs by then.

Sue

I know this sounds daft but his first name has gone at the moment. He had a very smart beard and worked for lustre finish and anodising co. I did know a Margaret Smith but there must be hundreds of them and she went to Manor Park school and lived in Aston. Jean.

Hi Sue, I skated with a ROY (RINGO) SMITH at the old Birmingham ice rink, he lived on that caravan park at the Beacon when he got married in the early 60s.
THE BARON(ASTON)

I have remembered the gents name and it was Gerry. There was a Peter at the same place a very thin chap who bre doves and lived in that area as he gave some to the riding school for their dovecoat. Don't think it is sorry was the same Peter. Jean.

I remember the original caravan park, it was on the left side of Beacon road opposite the entrance to Bar Beacon and along side the Quarry. when that site was closed, you could still see the caravan positions and road around the site for years, it may still be visible now ?

Goffy

Hi Sue, I skated with a ROY (RINGO) SMITH at the old Birmingham ice rink, he lived on that caravan park at the Beacon when he got married in the early 60s.
THE BARON(ASTON)
I've just found this site my parents and I lived on here 1960 or there abouts David and Marjorie Morton , mom used to go to the pictures with a lady called Doreen who lived in the next caravan . There was a boy who had a wigwam and I used to play with him can't remember his name , remember what I called the sandpits as well

I've just found this site my parents and I lived on here 1960 or there abouts David and Marjorie Morton , mom used to go to the pictures with a lady called Doreen who lived in the next caravan . There was a boy who had a wigwam and I used to play with him can't remember his name , remember what I called the sandpits as well
Hi Wend, do you have any other details about the time you lived there.. specifically the neighbour Doreen? I believe my grandmother and grandfather lived there for a while around the same time. Her name was Doreen Biggs (Marson). My mum would have been born in Dec 1960, you may possibly remember something like that? :)

Does anyone have any photos of the park from circa 1960?

Thanks.

Hi Wend, do you have any other details about the time you lived there.. specifically the neighbour Doreen? I believe my grandmother and grandfather lived there for a while around the same time. Her name was Doreen Biggs (Marson). My mum would have been born in Dec 1960, you may possibly remember something like that? :)

Does anyone have any photos of the park from circa 1960?

Thanks.
Hi will ask mom n dad because I know dad would also go out with Barry , dad was a fireman at the time they are both 80 now , will let you know thanks for answering me x

Hi will ask mom n dad because I know dad would also go out with Barry , dad was a fireman at the time they are both 80 now , will let you know thanks for answering me x
Hi more information just spoke to dad and he said they used to go to the pictures mom n Doreen one wk and the next wk dad n Barry , they think the baby girl was named Susan but not sure and Barry was a builder x

Hi more information just spoke to dad and he said they used to go to the pictures mom n Doreen one wk and the next wk dad n Barry , they think the baby girl was named Susan but not sure and Barry was a builder x
Thanks Wend. Must be a different Doreen, as her husband then would have been Leslie. Thanks though :)

well his surname was Markley.. I also have Smith's in my family..

When my aunt was a child she had a friend called Margaret Smith, who turned out to be cousin. They only found out when they went to the cemetery to put flowers on Margret's great grandmother's grave, which of course was my Aunt's great grandmother...they had known each other for about 15 yrs by then.

Sue

In 1972 I lived on beacon heights caravan site the owner was saying Shaw at that time there was also Alice who lived-in there also a sue and Lenny Sheldon

My sister Jeanette Poole lived on Stackhouse caravan in the 60's. Her husband Alan Poole was the maintenance chap for the whole site. When Stackhouse sold up he moved to Rhyl and Jeanette and Alan went with him.

My stepmother lived on Barr beacon caravan site in 1964 after leaving my dad she lived till it closed down forcing her off her name was Dorothy stockhall she was a force of nature.

Back