• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Barford Road And School Winson Green.

Jean

Where was Barford Rd in Nechells, its not a road I have ever heard mentioned in that district.

Phil

BARFORD RD IS NOT IN NECHELLS ITS IN WINSON GREEN
ITS BY THE OLD DUDLEY RD HOSPITAL NOW THE CITY HOSPITAL
GO PASS THE HOSPITAL 2ND TURNING ON YOUR LEFT MORE OR LESS OPPERSITE
THE LEE BRIDGE TAVEREN NOW A DAMMED CURRYHOUSE LIKE THE REST OF THESE CLOSED DOWN PUBS Alot Of My OLD MATES USED TO GO TO THAT BARFORD RD SCHOOL I WENT TO THE POSH ONE AT HOCKLEY BROOK, ALONG SIDE MY TWO
POSH COUSINS ,BRYAN , AND BARRY PHELPS , WHOM LIVED BEHIND THE SCHOOL
IN FORD STREET OPERSITE THE BUS GARAGE AND BEHIND RAYBONE AND CHESTERMANS THE TAPE MEASUREING AND TOOL MAKERS ,AND OLD MAN KITCHER WAS THE HEAD MASTER AND MR URCH AND HIS SLIPPER WAS IN SECOND COMMAND
and JOEY WISEMAN THE FOR C,E RELIGION LESSONS
ITHINK THIS SCHOOL IS STILL STANDING DOES ANY0BODY RECALL THE OLD HOCKLEY
BROOK WITH THE COPPER ON POINT DUTY STANDING DIRECTING TRAFFIC IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD I THINK IT WAS A SIX ROAD JUNCTION THEN TRAFFIC WAS COMING ALL WAYS THEN ALSO CAN ANYBODY RECALL THE BIG PUB THAT WAS ALSO THERE ON THE CORNER IT WAS A BIG BROWN WOODEN BUILDING ?.
BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ,;;

Astonian that's the Barford road it was my mistake. Any chance of an old photo anyone. Jean. Phil I'm sure you will come up with one.

Jean

My library of photo's of Winson Green is very thin, and after a good search I have come to the conclusion that I do not have one of Barford Road.

Have you tried here

https://www.ted.rudge.btinternet.co.uk/

Follow the link and enter the site and if you go to the schools section there are many photo's and mentions of Barford Road and School.

Phil

I just remember hockley brook, and the copper. I think the pub was called "the benyon" i also remember a pub called "the bridge" next to h samuels

Thank you Mike for the map and thanks for those links and photo's.. My friend from that road is re joining the forum after her computer was hacked into and she lost everything.

I attended barford road school and left in 1960 it was then a secondary modern school

Back