• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Balsall Heath.

Elizabeth,

The Emily was on the corner of Dymoke St and Emily St and not on Vaughton St. In the photo Vaughton St can be seen at the junction at the bottom of the hill. The Emily survived the building of St Martins Flats only to be demolished when the flats were and a new pub built over the road. It was never the same as the old pub.

Phil

HighgateEmilyStreetTheEmilyArms.jpg

Hello Phil sorry i do know i just got my Streets mixed up,i remember them building the new one.it was demolished and rebuilt a few years before the flats were demolished.

Elizabeth,

The Emily was on the corner of Dymoke St and Emily St and not on Vaughton St. In the photo Vaughton St can be seen at the junction at the bottom of the hill. The Emily survived the building of St Martins Flats only to be demolished when the flats were and a new pub built over the road. It was never the same as the old
Phil
Phil i have edited post 484 see what you think,thanks.

Hi Nurse Mantle was a name that was held in high esteem & she delivered a lot of our family members in Sparkbrook. Does anyone have a picture of her please.
Cheers
Dave

Bernard, forgive me if you already know this but a large new building stands near the top of Highgate St, and it is called The Wand Medical Centre

hi all well this brings back memories i lived in Hick street for years till they pulled down the homes and build those high rise flats

Here you are Peter, you will remember Fred's café on the corner of Hick St & Conybere St then.

Phil

HighgateConybereStHickStFredHudsonsCafe.jpg

Hi Peter.
My wifes family lived in Moseley Terrace in Hick St, by Mrs Owens shop, their name is Osborne, she left in 1966 and moved to Billesley.....

Hi Bernard is my uncle and I'm one of the 7 Arnolds living in 145 Sherborne Road. And yes we went to Mary Street School. One of my brothers is Richard and David is our cousin who lived in Longbridge Road.
I.m Pauline then there is Jennifer, Richard, Jayne, Pamela, Roger and Philip. My Mom was well known in the area as she only had one leg!! So my sister and I had real babies in our dolls prams instead of dolls!! Can't say the name Roberts rings any bells for me but if your husband knows Richard he must be nearer his age he's 61 this year. I thnk most of the back to backs were near the top of Sherborne road. Does he remember the corner shop on Seymour Rpad and Sherborne Road. There was a coal yard up top of road and we would take a pram up there and a huge lady shovelled the coal into it so we had to have the brakes on when we went back down the road! regards Pauline Arnold

Bernard, forgive me if you already know this but a large new building stands near the top of Highgate St, and it is called The Wand Medical Centre
Hi Stitch, people who complain about the NHS should remember what it like prewar,not quite as bad as America
where they leave in the street if you cant produce a credit card, but having to find threepence or sixpence to pay the
doctor was difficult, we should all be thankful for we have got now, and thank our lucky stars for living in this great
country of ours, take care now God Bless. Bernard

I'm a 'newbie' to this site, and doing my first exploration when I found this thread.

I was raised in Mary St, (right opposite Hallam St) and went to Mary Street School. Does anyone remember Miss Morgan, a teacher there, who broke five rulers across my knuckles in one attempt to discipline me? I wasn't born in Mary St though, as Mum was evacuated to Swadlincote to have me, in 1941.

Yes, the River Rea does go through Cannon Hill Park and Calthorpe Park, and if you climbed down the banks (I would be horrified if any of MY kids did it.) you were in a 20 foot deep gulley, and could walk from one park to the other. Of course, all the outlets from pipes into the river, created a slime base, and as the gulley base sloped downwards to the center, it was quite common to end up sliding into the Rea. This commonly used to be about four inches deep in dry weather, so there was no drownings. Just MESS.

There was also an air raid shelter in Calthorpe Park, and this faced onto Edward Road. Within the park, it was buried under a huge mound of earth, and left just a sloping concrete top exposed. Concrete that polished to a mirror finish by kids climbing up it. When you were little, you couldn't make the flat surface on top, but over time, you got further and further, until you attained a succesful conclusion, and became a senior member of the group of friends. It was while up there one day, that my girl friends Brother walking down Edward Rd, fired an air pistol at me, and hit me in the top lip and crushed it against my teeth.
Maybe some of you remember the conical roundabout in there? One day, one of the lads went to board it whilst it was turning (wasn't it always) and brought his knee up UNDER the seating platform.
It cleaved through his leg, right down to the bone. Not a pretty sight.
Our local kids cinema was the Imperial on Mosely Road. Saturday matinee sixpence downstairs, and ten pence upstairs, but right opposite, was the Mosely Rd swimming pool, and the library, and the seed and grain merchants where we used to buy a pound of pigeon peas for our peashooters. Our back garden one year, was covered with sweet peas, lying all over the floor, and growing up the private hedge. People trying to grow them, and us unable to stop them growing. The answer is clearly to carry sweet pea seeds in your mouth for awhile, before you plant them.

Right opposite our house, was a funny little Sunday School, run by an old couple and their Daughter. This is where we were sent every Sunday afternoon, as a matter of course. Perhaps an opportunity to increase the family size?) There was also the remains of an ancient garage, with two very old petrol pumps on it's concrete forecourt. This is also where the 'pig bins' stood, where people dumped left over / bad food, which was used to feed the pigs during and after the war. I can still smell them now!

Just up Mary St, was the Roman Catholic school, which backed onto the Church in George St. People often exited the church on Sundays, through the school grounds, and like as not, straight into the pubs in Mary St..... 'Snackers' and 'The Coach and Horses'(?) I saw one man one Sunday, exit 'Snackers' walk up the street a little, and then throw up, into a drain. Bad enough, but his false teeth went down the drain too. After a little consternation, up came the grid, and he grovelled around in the sludge until he found them. With a satisfied grin, he shook them off, and put them back in his mouth. 65 years, and the image lingers.

Isn't it amazing, that later years come and go in your memories, but your formative years linger forever?

Last edited by a moderator:
hi peter graham.i remember you ..you had 2 sisters called brenda and maureen .you lived opposite mrs timms shop i believe.......im sandra nee leake and lived just round the corner in conybere st ..

peter do you remember the old russian jew who lived next to you mr schneider .he always said call me mr clements....he always wore a black beret and an old mac.when we were kids we used to pinch his milk off the step.....

hi everyone does anyone know who the bloke is stood by freds cafe corner hick st and conybere st....?has anyone got a pic of freds cafe but extending to the right down conybere st .thats where my house was .love a better pic of it !!!!!!!!.the tall building next to it in conybere st was called hudsons bakery as i recall it wasnt a bakery when we moved in but i remember the two sons peter and i think richard hudson....can anyone elaborate ?

Hi Phil where did you get that picture if you look behind freds down Hick street the house with the little wall well the first two windows was our house .

Yes but how did you know they lived next door to me ?????? i remember the the lady died and he died on the same day she was funny she use to try to hit us with the broom haha

Hi, I live just of Mary Street and can confirm that The Eagle is now officially called Snackers, Coach and Horses is closed its is rumoured the the "Missus" stabbed the Host on Christmas day a couple of years ago, never head any more so I can only say Rumour. Nice area. I love it.
Danimac

harley ...i used to go to comleys coalyard with an old pram to fetch coal it was at the top of athole st.there used to be a small garage /repair shop on the left hand side . anyone got any fotos .???

The car repair place in Athole St is still there, different ownership now. I have used them a few decades ago, they rebuilt a Morris Minor Traveller for me.
Here's the street today, you can turn the view around with the mouse (the N symbol top left of the oicture)

well well Sandra Leak now i remember you and i had 8 sisters lol but not all at home thank god so what have you been up to i now live in Australia have done since 1974 maybe we could email it would be easier than tying up this thread ????

Back