• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bakeries

F

fourlambs

Hello,

I have heard that my great grand fathers may have ran a bakery in the West Bromwich area. Is it possible to get a list of businesses for the area during late 1880 or early 1900's, maybe via Kellys ?

And would these link owners names to businesses ?

The family name was WILSON. In 1901 residing at 273 King Edwards Rd, Edgebaston

Ta
Phil

Hawleys Bakery

Doe,s Any=body Recall Hawleys Bakery On Moseley Rd
Which Was Next Door To The Moseley Road Remand Home As It Was CalledIn The Early Years Of The Century
Then Eventualy I Think It Was In The Sixties They Moved To West Bromich
Which I Think Was Origionaly Wilsons Bakery Proir To Those Buying Up WilsonsEventualyThey Was Taken Over By R,H,B,Bakeries ,
So Hawleys Went Out Of Business
Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;; ,

RHB Bakeries ?

Can someone elaborate on this ?

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Both My Cousins Worked For A Bakers Called Wilson's (i Think) It Was In Little Bar Street, Perhaps A Forum Member Can Put Me Right On This. Ps Or Was It Rowland's,bakery?. The Old Grey Cells Are Going!!!!!!!!Must Be Over 45/50 Years Now
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Wilsons bakery

Coo Yes !!!! we used to have Wilsons bakers deliver to us in Selly Avenue c1950......light /dark blue vans from my recall.....happy days:)

Wilson's bakery

Wilson's bakery i new was in Montague /great Barr street
opp canning's,i used to as a kid help two bakers
one was our own baker Derek Taylor lived in shirestone rd
tile cross and a guy called David drove a morris commercial
i had to carry a basket with all in it mothers pride was the bread
the sliced was malt loaves cakes pineapple tarts mm mm.
Hawley's bread as you say was on Moseley road.
happy days regards dereklcg
ps spot the van in traffic.

King Edwards Rd

Hi Astonian,

did you have any luck with those old pictures of King Edwards Road ?

Regards

Phil;)

RHMcDougals, Took over Hardings, Holtoms, Scribbans if it was a bakery they took it over, they now call themselves Allied Bakeries and make so called "bread" for practically any body who sells it, their very big factory is off Garrets Green Lane. Len.

Many thanks Derek. Its Willsons with two L's but it could be the same one.

Regards
Phil

there was a bakery called w.e. wilson and son in Little barr st.They traded as Mothers Pride who were part ogf rhm bakeries. awaorked there as a van boy

Re: Hawleys Bakery

hawleys bakeries
my grand parents used to own hawleys bakeries , but i know nothing about it, does anyone have any info or pictures about them?, where abouts on mosely rd where they?

hawleys bakeries
my grand parents used to own hawleys bakeries , but i know nothing about it, does anyone have any info or pictures about them?, where abouts on mosely rd where they?

They were at the Camp Hill end almost opposite Leopald St and the Old Fire Station. Dek

hawleys bakeries

hi phil i worked at hawleys bakery from 1958 untill1965 i have a couple of photos , one of me sitting on top of the big gates on moseley road and another sitting on one of the big delivery vans .the bakery stood next to the quakers hall and at the moment there is a carpet outlet on the same site i used to know michael hawley very well . hope this info is usefull maggie tobin

Hello,

Philip And Hilda Hawley lived in Lordswood Rd. Harborne. Thet had a Dance Studio on City Road for many years. Phil Hawley trained both my ex and I
for our Associate exam which made us Professional Teachers of Dance.At one time I gave lessons to one of the Taft family { he was a young man }
but can't remember his Christian name.

They were a well respected couple in the Danceworld.Their daughter Vivienne was a competition dancer and married a champion dancer from London.

They used to get their bread straight from the bakery so it was always fresh. {even at Christmas }

Sorry it is not about the bakery but thought you may be interested in the other side of their life.

I remember Phil telling me about one day on his bread round it had been snowing and was very icy and going up the hill towards the West End his horse slipped and there was poor old Phil trying to get his horse back onto his feet so that he could do his bread round.

Regards, Betty.

thanks for that info,very interesting,i think vivienne went onto have her own dance club in mosely? if i recall
,my mom was called hilda hawley as well,so i presume philip was my uncle?
my parents house was in 239 hagley rd edgbaston
Hello,

Philip And Hilda Hawley lived in Lordswood Rd. Harborne. Thet had a Dance Studio on City Road for many years. Phil Hawley trained both my ex and I
for our Associate exam which made us Professional Teachers of Dance.At one time I gave lessons to one of the Taft family { he was a young man }
but can't remember his Christian name.

They were a well respected couple in the Danceworld.Their daughter Vivienne was a competition dancer and married a champion dancer from London.

They used to get their bread straight from the bakery so it was always fresh. {even at Christmas }

Sorry it is not about the bakery but thought you may be interested in the other side of their life.

I remember Phil telling me about one day on his bread round it had been snowing and was very icy and going up the hill towards the West End his horse slipped and there was poor old Phil trying to get his horse back onto his feet so that he could do his bread round.

Regards, Betty.

hawleys bakeries

Dear Sir, I would like to know who your parents were please,you say your grand parents owned Hawleys bakery. You see I am the nephew of the Hawleys ,Arthur and Dorothy were my Uncle and Aunt in fact Dorothy was my late mothers elder sister and I cannot place your name anywhere in the family line up. So I would appreciate you enlightening me please. Thank you. mobile692

Mobile 92
Phil Taft is no longer a member of the forum. However he mentions his parents lived at 239 Hagley road, and a Cyril & Hilda Taft did live there from at least 1945-1960 according to the electoral roll.

My Great Aunt Laura, known as Loll, married Harry Hawley in 1917. Family stories tell that Harry was the brother of the founder of Hawley's Bakeries and in 1918 Loll's twin sister Agnes and her family were living in Sun Street in a flat owned by Hawley's when Agnes died in 1918. Her widower and three children moved in with Loll and Harry until around 1939. Harry died 12 April 1960 and Loll 1 December 1960. Hope this is of interest to you.

hi mobile
hawleys bakery used to be on the mosely road next to the church and meeting house and the old mosely road remand home
which was a childrens home of detaining reble and trouble some kids for the city courts whom used to steal
it later became atherstone house run by so called social workers whom workrd there ran amoke with the kids ; and eventualy closed down
but getting back to old hawleys they closed down on mosely rd and moved to west bromwich ; more or less oppersite the albion foot ball ground just passing park lane west brom ;
and afew years down the line they was taken over by RHM ; AND IT WAS CALLED RHM BAKERES then for years
as some-one as just state which is true its owned by the allied bakeryies all cobined under there fag ship if you get the drift
on the subject of atherstone house ;its still stands empty today ;and i bet the walls of that home cann tell some stories of the brutal attacks by the one time staff that was there ; it was a detention centre for the young juneniles of the worst kind of yester years ;
but i would like to aske those in behind the power and i do beleive we have some members on this forum whomhave inside information of those yester years and
we do have influencial members on this forum ;as to why this building is still standing empty close on if not forty years down the line ;
best wishes astonian ;;;;;;;

Hawleys Bakery

Doe,s Any=body Recall Hawleys Bakery On Moseley Rd
Which Was Next Door To The Moseley Road Remand Home As It Was CalledIn The Early Years Of The Century
Then Eventualy I Think It Was In The Sixties They Moved To West Bromich
Which I Think Was Origionaly Wilsons Bakery Proir To Those Buying Up WilsonsEventualyThey Was Taken Over By R,H,B,Bakeries ,
So Hawleys Went Out Of Business
Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;; ,

Hi Master Brummie looking for photos of the old Scott Arms shopping area Wimbushes in particular was on the corner where Halfords came..There was Mason, Wrenson, Paynes, Municipal bank, before it became TSB Not sure i have right name but i think there was a barbers/grocers either called Inckes might not have been called that. It was just in front of where Nissan and then Aldi came..The Scott Arms pub-stables, loved to drink there with grandparents on a Saturday. Beacon picture house, gosh I think we spent most of our time there! The old 6 pence-a tanner for the matinee with two films A-B the B one always came first followed by the main showing. Then evening showing was 1 and 6 which would be roughly 7 and half pence ...Banks clothes shops where we got our school uniform.. Fed Evans fruit and veg near the lights not form the Municipal...Also Model shop and Haberdashery. Then much later you had fine Fare and my mom worked for a few years and I worked there in the 70's when I was about fourteen, on a saturday. Can anyone help me wit h the original shop history

Last edited:
Mobile 92
Phil Taft is no longer a member of the forum. However he mentions his parents lived at 239 Hagley road, and a Cyril & Hilda Taft did live there from at least 1945-1960 according to the electoral roll.
I am still here,my mom lived at 239 till about 2000

hi phil i worked at hawleys bakery from 1958 untill1965 i have a couple of photos , one of me sitting on top of the big gates on moseley road and another sitting on one of the big delivery vans .the bakery stood next to the quakers hall and at the moment there is a carpet outlet on the same site i used to know michael hawley very well . hope this info is usefull maggie tobin
Excellent can you send or show me these photos please

Back