• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Back-to-back Houses

My lovely nan Pemmy lived at 3/36 Franchise street and the houses backed onto a woodyard and her walls were constantly damp. Had an indoor downstairs coal room and outside loos at the top of the yard. A comunial wash house with the works. A dolly, rubbing board and a hand wringer. Plus loads of personal things that were stored in there without the fear of it being stolen. My aunt even kept her bike in there. Loved to stay with nan and go and visit her lovely neighbours. Jean.

Brummy-lad that photograph in #50 takes me back to when me & my brother used to have ours baths, always in front of the Parkray. She used to warm the water up with a saucepan of water off the cooker. Made you jump if you didn't move your feet in time! :)

My lovely nan Pemmy lived at 3/36 Franchise street and the houses backed onto a woodyard and her walls were constantly damp. Had an indoor downstairs coal room and outside loos at the top of the yard. A comunial wash house with the works. A dolly, rubbing board and a hand wringer. Plus loads of personal things that were stored in there without the fear of it being stolen. My aunt even kept her bike in there. Loved to stay with nan and go and visit her lovely neighbours. Jean.
Hi GG jean
looking at BHF i see that your nan lived in franchise st my mom lived at 77 over the road from the pub the Wellhead. her family name was Talbot and my dad lived at 61 his family was Howell. i spent a lot of time just after the war in the street playing with my cousin Fred Talbot. i still see some of the Townsend family who lived up the alliy over the road from newton coachs yard

Hi GG jean
looking at BHF i see that your nan lived in franchise st my mom lived at 77 over the road from the pub the Wellhead. her family name was Talbot and my dad lived at 61 his family was Howell. i spent a lot of time just after the war in the street playing with my cousin Fred Talbot. i still see some of the Townsend family who lived up the alliy over the road from newton coachs yard

DAVID & FRANCES GRIFFIN
Sorry Malcolm I'm not having much luck with this one I'm afraid, nothing on the 1939 register, on the 1964 Kelly's there is a David Griffin at 40 Beeches Ave. and on the 1967/8 at 226 Dalton Road Smethwick.
We have members that are experts in this field, hopefully they will see this and be able to help.

Brummy-lad that photograph in #50 takes me back to when me & my brother used to have ours baths, always in front of the Parkray. She used to warm the water up with a saucepan of water off the cooker. Made you jump if you didn't move your feet in time! :)
When we moved to our new council house in Sheldon in 1952/52 I still recall bathing in a tin bath in front of the coal fire (there is a photo somewhere) even though there was a brand new bathroom upstairs. The same when I stayed at my Nan's in Trittiford Rd., Billesley. Grandad used a pair of hand clippers to give my uncle and me (He was only about 5 years older than me) a "Basin cut" haircut and then the tin bath was brought out of the "shelter" and put in the back yard and we both get scrubbed by Nan. This was only in the summer, in winter we used the indoor bathroom. Happy memories :D

Sorry Malcolm I'm not having much luck with this one I'm afraid, nothing on the 1939 register, on the 1964 Kelly's there is a David Griffin at 40 Beeches Ave. and on the 1967/8 at 226 Dalton Road Smethwick.
We have members that are experts in this field, hopefully they will see this and be able to help.
IT WAS 2 BACK 115 ITS BEEN FOUND

Back