• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Union Infirmary Erdington 1911

E

elizabeth

Is this part of the Aston Workhouse setup ?

My grandfather died in there of TB in 1911.
Would like to know a bitmore about how it was used.

Elizabeth,it looks like it

try          users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/Aston

Modified  seem to be unable to post link  try cut and paste

Colin

I bought a book yesterday called "Highcroft; from workhouse to modern mental health service" wrote by Highcroft History Group, edited by Mike Hinson. It covers background to the history of Highcroft, Aston Union Workhouse 1836-1871, The New Workhouse at Gravelly Hill 1871-1912, Erdington House 1912-1942, Highcroft Hall 1942-1948. Looks to be a good read after just flicking through it. :) :)

Erdington workhouse 1920s - can anyone help me please?

Hi,
I have been researching my Great Grandmother, and have come to a complete halt. I have spent hours on the ancestry and other websites and am beginning to bore my family to death! My Great Grandmother, Madolin Olga Nelly Raymond nee James, was born in Walsall in 1896, and married a chap called Roger Raymond in West Bromwich in 1916. We beleieve that she suffered from post natal depression after the birth of my grandmother in 1920. My Grandmother was advised that Madolin died 6 weeks after she was born, and adopted. This was never spoken about again.

I have been advised that she may well have gone into the Jaffray, then the Erdington Workhouse, where she probably died. I can find no death record anywhere. No record of her remarrying. No buriel or cremation records. If anyone can help me I would be so grateful.

My Mother died in October 2007 of cancer to her pancreas. She became ill and died very quickly. I swore that I would try to find out what happened to Madolin as Mom had always wanted to find out the truth. I have promised to burn a candle and take some flowers to her place of death, burial site, or where she lived. I believe from my research, that she must have died a tragic death after a misserable "life".

I visited Highcroft last week as I have been dreaming about a large stone celtic cross. I hoped that it was in the grounds of highcroft so that I could light a candle there. I was unable to find the cross. I have to say it was one of the saddest moments in my life visiting the grounds. The water tower and old laundry hold an enormous sence of sadness. Despite the renovation and money thrown at turning them into "yuppie flats", the building "feels" so sad!

If anyone could help my search, I would be really, truely grateful. Any information would be greatfully recieved.

Thank you in anticipation.

Erdington workhouse

Sorry to put a bit of a dampener on this discussion. Erdington workhouse records are in the Archives Dept of Birmingham Reference Library but any within 100 years are closed to researchers,

Although records that fall within the 100 year closure period are not available generally, you can write to Solihull Health Authority to request special dispensation to view them.

The best thing to do is visit B'ham Central Library - Archives Dept when they re-open and speak to the staff there regarding the information you are looking for, they are very helpful and will assist you in filling in the necessary paperwork.

I had a death certificate for an ancestor of mine who died in Highcroft in the 1930's. I wanted to find out when she was admitted and the reasons behind this, etc etc.

The genealogist in the Archives Department was excellent. She actually filled out the paperwork form for me, making suggestions as to what records may hold information for my ancestor.

Solihull Health Authority wrote back to me giving me authorisation to view the Hospital Records and I arranged an appointment in the Archives Department to view these ledgers.

Fay

Fay I did the same my ancestor died at Hatton Asylum in 1909 I managed to get the information in 2004 through Warickshire Health Authority and wonderful help from Warwick Records Office.

I have searched the Death index from 1920 to 1931 and there is no trace of Madolin. I did find a death for Roger Raymond aged 26 September Quarter 1921 West Bromwich ref 6b 684. It would be interesting to see who applied for the death certificate.

thank you

I am so pleased that I have some new direction with my search. Thank you so much for this, I really do appreciate it. I really feel positive that we may well find the answers to this longstanding mystery.
Once again........thank you x

Aston Union Infirmary, Erdington.

I have written this before but for any new members, I think that I could be right in believing that people of low or no income were sent to Aston Union
Infirmary, Erdington.

I Stand Corrected.

ColinB. Its nice to know that I am caught out sometimes and the true facts really emerge, it does no good if something is not correct and is believe by many. Thank you Colin for putting things in order.

Hi,

I was given access to the records for the Aston Union Workhouse as it was known up until 1925, but as you rightly say you do have to get permission. The only records that I could find was the religious creed register which shows information like relatives and last address and date of discharge or death. It's worth a look. After 1925 the building changed its name to Erdington House and then later to Highcroft. The workhouse records finish at 1925 because of the change in use and name and then you will have to apply for more access.
The white cross that was mentioned in your dream may be the one in Witton Cemetary. This was the local burial place for the workhouse people. The burial records are up Birmingham Library and the ladies at witton are really helpful.
Good Luck

Is this part of the Aston Workhouse setup ?

My grandfather died in there of TB in 1911.

Would like to know a bitmore about how it was used.
yes it was part of the aston union workhouse, during ww2 it was used as an operating thatre for wounded soldiers

Reading these posts I have an Aunt who died in the Workhouse Infirmary in 1914.
I am wondering if I should ask Birmingham Archives if I could find further information to add to my research ?
Would the 100 year law prevent me doing this ?

i have read through these posts to see if there is any info that i am requiring so i apologise in advance if this has been posted before,
my gt gt grandfather died in aston union workhouse in 1895 but i cannot find a death record for his wife and i was wondering if he was in the workhouse would the rest of his family beeen there also any info .
phil

You have to remember that the workhouse was also treated as the old peoples home in its day the poor and elderly especially the sick elderly invariably died in the work house as there was no where else for them, although the extended family was was more apparrent in these times if you had no family or were so poor that there was not space for the elderly sick then it was the work houses that provided through the alms house and parish system of a sort of care to these elderly people.

Hi Every one
can some one please tell me i have a address for my great nan on her birth certificate as (1 Union Road Erdington Birmingham ) on puting that address into google it comes up with Workhouse ? the person who registerd my nan was William C Salmon he put a line through name of father on birth certificate who was alloud to register a birth in 1914
would my nan of been born in the workhouse or hospital ? looking i think i saw the hospital change to a place for the insane in 1912 my nan was born in 1914 i am very confused is ( 1 Union Road Erdington Birmingham ) A workhouse or hospital any help would be great many thanks & kind regards Stu

hi ahd a great uncle george bakewell robinson pass away at the erdington infirmary in the 1920's i live in australia, any suggestions on how can view or get a copy of his records as to why he died, my aunt beleived rhuematic fever n this cause eplileptic fits ans ? died of a seizure but it was a touchy subject, my grandmother apparently wanted to bring him out but was refused by ? granddad or great grandad, they immigrated in 1924 arriving in jan 1925 in australia. any help appreciated

one of my relatives died in erdington workhouse infirmary in 1918
was but her mother was living in tennent street was it used as a hospital for the poor as well as a workhouse
josie048643b0-e1a8-490d-b41a-40e9426e21a8[1].jpg

Back