• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Map

The Baron

master brummie
Rod I have a Birmingham pocket atlas and guide  dated 1945 , I have scaned the ASTON area which I post with this Topic .I do not know if this is of any interest to any one. The guide covers the whole of BRUM.LET ME KNOW IF ANY ONE WOULD LIKE ME TO SCAN ANY OTHE PARTS.
ASTON

DO NOT RESIZE

Hi Aston,
Great post. If you served your apprenticeship at the GEC you will remember Aston Tech at the junction of Whitehead Road and Ettington road. As a matter of interest is there a map showing the Town Hall and south from there ie Severn Street and Bridge Street. A post would be appreciated if it is not too much trouble. This map still shows a lot of the older B.ham.
Regards.

Hi Rupert,yes I did go to ASTON TECH, I also did night school at ASTON COMMERCIAL over the road from the Tech.
His this City Center Map the one you want I can see the Town Hall & Severn St but not Bridige St? :eek:
hope its right.
Regards ASTON

This map shows Calthorpe Park where I played as a child and Longmore Street where I lived. Sent me all the way down memory lane it has! but thanks Aston - it's a good feeling. :)

Jill,
Have you tried opening up a second window and putting google earth on it. If you go to Birmingham England and zoom in on your old area you can flash between the two windows and compare the map with the current site. A lot of it is still the same and your old park is still there. It helps to rotate the Google picture to the same orientation as the map using the rotate buttons at the bottom of the screen. Varna Road seems to be Hay Park now. There is lot's of stuff that you can do with Googl E.
Regards.

Hi Aston,
Forgot to say thankyou and yes it's right on. Do you remember any of the teachers at Aston T. Do you remember a Mr. Grafton.
Regards Rupert.

Hi Rupert no I am sorry I can not recall any I spent a lot of my tine at the extention in BERNERS ST,as this was the Electical Lab at the time I was there.
For two year I did the wrong course & that ment I attended the main building in WHITEHEAD RD on a Mechanical eng; course, when I should have been on an Eletrical eng; this I tryed to tell education & training at Witton be they said Iwould have to complete the Mech; course first before changing to the Elec; Eng; it lost me two years thats why I had to cram 3 nights a week at asto commercial. It seemed I had never left School LOL

does the map show the south eastern side of brum .......... small heath and surrounds?

Aston,
You are me in reverse. My god those guys got a lot a...about face. They put me in the electrical stream after I told them that it was mechanical that I was interested in you just had to look at my school records to see that. I think however it cost me more than two years. I did manage to get into the mechanical stream eventually but that set back at that stage was important. I overcame eventually and have had an interesting an varied career in mechanical engineering. Did you ever meet a Brian Southhall at the GEC.
Regards.

Rupert,as I have said before on this Forum Faces YES Names NO,but I do seem to know that Name .
Were did he work at Witton,what Dept;do you now any of his or you work mates? GO GIVE US A CLUE? LOL
We should have this on the witton topic?

Thanks Aston thats great.

Postie can you advise Aston as to what else you might want?

Rupert said:
Jill,
Have you tried opening up a second window and putting google earth on it. If you go to Birmingham England and zoom in on your old area you can flash between the two windows and compare the map with the current site. A lot of it is still the same and your old park is still there. It helps to rotate the Google picture to the same orientation as the map using the rotate buttons at the bottom of the screen. Varna Road seems to be Hay Park now. There is lot's of stuff that you can do with Googl E.
Regards.

Thanks Rupert - I'll give it a go - sounds interesting.

Aston a few weeks ago i asked for informatin about Wind Mill Hill Di Poppit kindley put me on the right track, that i should be looking for Windmill st.I had a rough idea where it was, then looking at your map i found it.Thanks mate.Does your map have a street index? if so could you look for Buck st, i think it was around the Holiday at area. Regards Robert

go the second map down it's just above Duddeston row it's almost at the top right of map

On the second map down the right hand side seems to have been cut off. Can any one help please.

Aston Map Railway Plan

Hi Paul, I do not know how to send the map pages you asked for by PM, so have posted them on this topic,
hope these are what you require,
Please let me know if I can help further.
ASTON

aston,

On the 07-10-2006 you sent Rod a map. I wonder if you have to the left of it so it covers more of Farm Street, if so could you post please?

Ray

Hi Ray, sorry I did not reply sooner , had computer problems & then could not get back in to BHWR,all ok now though so here is both pages showing Farm St, hope it what you require
ALL THE BEST ASTON

Hi, Aston, thanks for the map and being so quick to reply. Being born in 1945 Clifford St (Burbery St end) there is lot of my life there.

Ray

Hi Aston,

I know this may be 'off topic', but could you beam me an old map from Sparkbrook, Stoney Lane, Ladypool Road area? I was brought up in Leamington Road but it's gone now, there's a school on the site and I would like to pin-point our old house for my research.

Graham.

Graham,

You should have asked me before if you needed a map of the location of Leamington Rd.

pmc1947 (Phil).

Last edited:
Leamington Rd

Aston & pmc,

Thanks for the maps. I didn't ask sooner as I was away all Summer and had forgotten that I was registered on BHWF, the joys of getting old! If all goes well I'll be on the forum again soon, but gora goo now as I have visitors.

Graham.

I have found the old maps facinating to look at and if its not to much trouble i would love to see maps of Erdington/Stockland Green from that era. Thanx Tony

My grand parents, on dad's side, were from Aston, I've forgotten the address, will have to look it up again.

Graham.

Back