• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

aston made motorbikes and cycles

ADELE

master brummie
Hi
anyone know what makers were in the Aston area, my grandads family worked on cycles and motorbikes during the the 1890s and early 1900.
Thanks Adele

there was Phillips near Nortons who made cycle parts ,dynamoes lamps etc... Hercules as been mentioned, I worked there in the last year of the war in the packing dept for 12 months. Eric

My grandfather Walter Jennings was a cashier in a cycle factory in the 20,s and 30's I think it may have been Hercules. In the 40's he was an Air Raid Warden. I would love to confirm where he worked.:)

Sorry John, you're right, it was Millars not Phillips, getting mixed up with the name of the Street. Also I believe Hercules made aircraft parts during the war, am I right. I worked there in 1946 and they were back to producing cycles then. Eric

Last edited:
Many thanks to everyone who put in information for me, i know who in the family worked i think on bikes. Just need to find out what companies they worked for.
Adele

Back