• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Glass Works (circa 1810)

... Where is Swinney's New Birmingham Directory available? I am aware of the Bissetts picture of Swinneys, but that is all ...

Bordesley, Swinney's New Birmingham Directory (c 1774) is not freely available as an e-text, as far as I'm aware. Certainly Google Books and archive.org don't appear to have it. The only e-text I know of is the ECCO database copy .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Thylacine. I'll try lobbying my local library. The staff there have been defeated the last 2 times I have gone in with a query on publications & the last time I enquired about online access so no doubt they will be tested once more! Perhaps I could get back to you if access to ECCO is unavailable here.

... a survey of the site of the snow hill glassworks ...

Thanks, Mike, for the link to that very interesting "Birmingham Archaeology" report, which contains a nice summary of Oppenheim's glassworks:
Mayer Oppenheim's glassworks was established in 1757 at 94 Snow Hill (Conway 2001). Oppenheim had obtained a patent for the manufacture of red transparent glass in 1755. His glass-house and dwelling are mentioned in 1762, and the business is recorded in trade directories in 1767, 1770 and 1775, but not in 1777 at which date he was declared bankrupt. There is no indication of a glassworks on the site on Hanson’s map of 1778. The site is particularly important because it is the earliest known glassworks in Birmingham and precedes the city’s canal-based glass industry, which began at the end of the 18th century. Number 94 Snow Hill was located on the southwest side of Snow Hill, in the area now largely occupied by Snow Hill Station. The earth bank between the edge of the former Snow Hill and the present station could have retained archaeological deposits, pertinent to the glassworks.​
The Jewish Virtual Library recognises the Birmingham glass pioneer:
Another eminent Jewish glassmaker was Meyer Oppenheim, who came from Pressburg in Hungary. He invented a ruby flint glass which he produced in Birmingham from 1756 to 1775. A number of Jews were associated with the glass industry in Birmingham, where the lead glass used for artificial gems was known as "Jew's glass" in the middle of the 19th century.​
As does the Hebrew History Federation in a very interesting series of articles about the history of Jewish glassmaking:
Mayer Oppenheim was among these Jewish immigrants. Born in Pressburg (then a town in Hungary), Mayer appears importantly in the annals of English glassmaking as the inventor of red (ruby) glass, for which he was granted a patent by King George II in 1755. His name appears in the Birmingham directories phonetically transcribed from the Hebrew as "Opnaim".​

Last edited:
There is a lot of extra information on Mayer at https://www.jhse.org/book/export/article/18391, which is a copy of an article on Jewish Glassmakers by Zoe Josephs . The bit on Mayer starts about half way down. Unfortunately the text is crammed to the left of the page, and is tiring to read . Apparently , after debtors prison, he went to start up business in Rouen. The uses of red Jew’s glass in artificial gemstones and as a thin covering of scent bottles and problems encountered in its manufacture are described in an article in The Penny Mechanic (p.213 of https://www.archive.org/details/pennymechanicche01lond )
Mike

Mike, the article by Zoe Josephs is an excellent find: the "Rosetta Stone" of early Birmingham glassmaking! Sadly, as you observed, the transcription is appalling, so I've taken the liberty of presenting the section on Oppenheim until he left Birmingham (minus the footnotes — it's a bit long but quite fascinating). The article continues in great detail on Oppenheim's later ventures in and around Rouen.
Mayer Oppenheim was born at Pressburg (Bratislava), then in Hungary, probably about 1720. Nothing is known of his family or his early years, but he seems to have been a man of good education, and apparently also a Talmud scholar with excellent Jewish connections; his signature appears on a commentary on a tractate of the Babylonian Talmud by Arye Lob Ben Ascher of Minsk, a scholar of repute, which was published in Metz. This book was passed down by Oppenheim to the famous Tevele Schiff, Chief Rabbi of the Great Synagogue, London, from 1765 to 1792, who annotated the margins with his notes.

On 5 December 1755 "Mayer Oppenheim, the eldest, of the City of London Merchant", received a patent from King George II. Married, with a family and settled in this country, he had "with great labour, industry application and at considerable expense, invented and brought to perfection a method entirely new and not hitherto practised of making or manufacturing red transparent glass which would be of general utility". He was granted a licence of sole making and vending this invention for 14 years, provided he published its exact nature. (These specifications are important in glass history, because they state the component parts of flint glass or glass of lead. This formula formed the foundation of red glass at that time and consisted of two parts of lead, one part of sand, and one part saltpetre or borax.)

In 1770, the licence having expired, Mayer obtained a second; an unusual privilege, he claimed, and in spite of the opposition of his fellow-businessmen. He was now living in Birmingham, where he was later to acknowledge he had learnt his skills in English flint glass "by long study in the glasshouses". Coming as he did, however, from the great glass centres of Bohemia and Hungary, it seems probable he brought some expertise with him. He now claimed to have perfected a garnet glass, which, by varying the ingredients, could be made either opaque or transparent. Kunckel, the Potsdam chemist, who was director of the glasshouse of the Elector of Brandenburg, had made a beautiful ruby glass in 1679, using gold, and he had many imitators. Mayer also used gold with another substance he called "braunstein".

But glass was by no means Mayer's only interest. On 22 February 1762, the Birmingham Gazette announced that "Mayer Oppenheim of Snow Hill wished to purchase 1200 gross children's metal buckles at different prices". At the same time, however, "he is willing to leave the foreign hardware and inland glass manufactory at Snow Hill, Birmingham, any person that is disposed to carry on either of these above trades may by allowing him a reasonable premium (with a capital of £1000 be put in such a way as to clear £500 a year or with less sum in proportion). The above glass-house and the dwelling house part of the said building to be let for a time as can be agreed on. Enquire of the said Mayer Oppenheim, who has to sell a large parcel of Lynn sand and fine white arsenic. N B the red transparent glass is to be had at the above glass-house, either a light rose or a deep ruby colour."

It was Birmingham on the threshold of the Industrial Revolution on which Mayer had set his sights, a town of dozens of flourishing trades and particularly attractive to an ambitious Jew. Dissenters of all kinds were welcomed, no one interfered with their religious observances. "No trade guilds, no companies existed and every man was free to come and go, to found, follow or leave a trade just as he chose ... Birmingham was emphatically the town of Free Trade." Matthew Boulton was building his astounding prototype of the modern factory, but generally businesses were small, with a great deal of putting out of labour. Sketchley's Directory of 1770 lists Mayer as Merchant at 98 Snow Hill; his neighbours were button moulders, jewellers, gunsmiths, cabinet makers, a watchmaker, a japanner and a plater. Before the cutting of the canals brought cheap and reliable transport, Birmingham manufacturers were forced to concentrate on small light articles of relatively high value. Buckles, buttons, and "toys" — that is, desirable trinkets in polished steel and precious metals, tortoiseshell, and enamel, were of great importance, and many of these trifles were made in glass. The directories of the 1770s and 1780s list a number of glass pinchers who "prepared glasses for the common link buttons and are also makers of glass buttons". The pinchers used only small furnaces less than six feet in height and were often able to work in secret, avoiding Excise duty. Birmingham seems to have been the centre of this trade, selling parts of candlesticks, decanter stoppers, lustre drops for the fashionable girandoles at cut price to the glass-houses. Whether Oppenheim made any of these articles or only supplied the glass we do not know. However, in spite of crippling taxation, the demand for these luxury articles was rapidly growing and certainly at a later date he claimed to be able to make them.

Whatever Mayer's reasons for wishing to sell out in 1762, he apparently did not do so, for he was, as we have seen, still there by 1770 and the glass works were obviously prospering, in London as well as Birmingham. On New Year's Day 1770 he advertises again in the Gazette: "Wanted immediately hands, men and boys, glassmakers and tisseurs, either to work in Birmingham or at London in same business. Any persons being out of employment may apply to Mr Mayer Oppenheim at his glass-house in Snow Hill, Birmingham. N B good wages to good workmen."

The 1774 Directory continues to list Mayer as before. In 1775 his account books have been stolen, in which were foreign bills amounting to £50. A free pardon for their return and "no questions asked by me" is promised. "Payment of above bills are stopped, therefore they will be of no service to such person or persons having them in their possession."

This proved to be the first of a series of misfortunes. Mayer had by now a very large family; he had married twice and had had seven children by his first wife and at least five by his second. Some of the older boys were a problem, "wasting a great deal of his capital". In May 1777, the London Gazette announced: "Mayer Oppenheim, late Birmingham glass-maker bankrupt." From July 1778 to February 1780 he remained a prisoner for debt in the King's Bench Prison, London. A relative, Nathan Oppenheim, took over in Birmingham and not very long after Mayer's arrest in December 1778 advertised in the Birmingham Gazette: "Glasshouse. Any person wishing to be concerned in erecting a glasshouse for the purpose of carrying on this trade in the Cane and Wave way may be acquainted with particulars by me Mr Nathan Oppenheim who intends to join in carrying on the same."

Nothing more is heard of him or the Snow Hill Glass-house, though glass toymaking was carried on at Snow Hill until 1785.
It is rather endearing to read: "Mayer was still describing himself as 'de Birmingham' in the letters patent of 1784. Perhaps, since the condition of the Jewish businessman in France was so precarious at this time, the title gave him a certain prestige".

Thanks for clarifying, Aidan. I have amended my post to avoid confusion. I am today advised that copies of Charles Dickens Household Words are available at one of our local universty libraries, so of course I will also investegiate what else might be held.

British History Online Birmingham. Enter glass in the searchbox ...

There's an excellent summary of the early history of the Birmingham glass trade at that website, Borsesley. I'll just quote a small part (sans footnotes), as it relates to the Aston Glassworks we opened this fascinating thread with:
The scale of operations in the 'pinchers' trade was necessarily small (but the makers reached considerable size. The capital required was larger than in other manufactures and partnerships were common. Jones, Smart and Co of Aston had four partners, occupied a large three-story building, and were among the pioneers of gas-lighting. After 1810 the house operated as Brueton, Gibbons and Williams [sic] but disappeared before 1822.
Other early glassmakers mentioned include: Isaac Hawker (Spiceal Street by 1772); Park Glasshouse (Birmingham Heath c 1788; Islington Works (c 1800); Harris and Hawkes (Belmont Glassworks c 1810).

John Hawker operated Park Glass House at Birmingham Heath close to the Birmingham Canal in the early 19c. Ray Shill, in his well researched book Birmingham & the Black Country's Calanalside Industries, describes the glassworks as being beside the Springhill turnpike near the Birmingham Canal. Its not often we see a picture of a Birmingham turnpike road, so this picture has added merit.
https://www.find-book.co.uk/0752432621.htm

The Park glasshouse is shown on the 1810 Kempson map by the canal.by spring hill bridge. The area appears to be empty by the time of the 1889 OS map

m ike

1810_Kempson_map_showing_Park_glasshouse.jpg

Thank you, Mike. I had wanted to know the exact showing the location of Park Glasshouse but I had not realised it would actually be shown on a map, so its great to anchor the place.
I will be posting an early 1800s picture of another Birmingham glasshouse, but first I have to identify the address.

Shakespear & son of Soho Glassworks Birmingham Heath (Wrightsons 1833) were taken over by John Walsh Walsh, but apparently not for long as in 1841 Pigots John Walsh Walsh was listed at 31 Paradise St as a soda water & mustard manufacturer, importer & dealer of cigars. I do hope he kept those commodities separate.

Walsh & Harris were still at no 31 in 1855, though now soda water & mustard manufacturers & cigar importers. Below is a 1889 map showing where I am pretty sure no 31 was (in red). The no 31 was then occupied by the Anglo-Bavarian Brewery Co. the position of 31 would have been the same in 1855, if not the building

Attachments

• map c 1889 showing 31 oaradise st.jpg
    map c 1889 showing 31 oaradise st.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
As always, thank you for the map & directory clarification, Mike. Its certainly difficult to imagine that there was any kind of manufactury in Paradise St.
Now I am all out of pictures of Birmingham glass making establishments.

I'm not sure if the picture of Hawkers, Park Glass House mentioned in posts #51, #52 & #54 was like this one, but the plate below is of the glass house on Birmingham Heath c. 1800 and may be of interest. Must say I found this thread a thoroughly absorbing read. Viv.

John_Hawker2C_Park_Glass_House_1800.JPG

Looking at the map, the Park Glass House plate above and comparing it with the Jones, Smart & Co drawings
I see no trace of a cone! Would that make the Park Glass House an earlier glass house perhaps or just different? Park Glass House does seem to have a chimney, but nothing like a cone. Viv.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sylviasayers. I looked at those but thought they were on the other side of the canal. And I wasn't able to pinpoint them on the map i.e no sign of circular structures. Also they look like they're quite far away from the house. Maybe then, it's another case of artistic licence. Or maybe, Park Glass House never had cones. Viv.

Back