• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

aston cross

• Thread starter Thread starter brum
  • Start date Start date
I remember Nellie Heath's China Shop, Brittons General Stores as well as a toy shop (cant remember its name). I went to school in the annexe behind the DER office/depot in Victoria Road, Dad worked at Enot's and Lewis's (on a Saturday) and Mum was a cleaner in Ansells canteen

Hello Dave,
The Trevellers was the pub I used the most,late 50s early 60s,well, it was Ansells. Used to play cards in the smoke room. I'm pretty sure it was Star Vaults,though. When did you go to St.Mary's,knew a few lads who went there. Regards, Ray.

Hi Ray,
I was there from infants to juniors 1949 - 1955. Then I went to Charlie Arthur Street.

Brian regards shops opposite Ansells Park road. One was a small printers and the Hardwicks owned it. They had an only daughter by the name of Marion. Jean.

ray you say that you used traverllers iand my family and friends used itmost nights ofthe week we only used the smoke room i and a my pals played football for afew years for the pub so we must have met at some time please let me know few names that we both might remember john harris

Johnny,
Names that spring to mind are,My cousin, Jim Smith,Barry Hands,"Acky",(can't remember his proper name)Johnny Kirwan,Colin Page,Harold Ward.Shall probably remember more later.Was only ever there weekends.
Ray.

ray the only names that ring a bell are johnny kirwin and colin page both passed away now sorry to say do you remember kieth perrow des flood in fact johnny kirwin was a very good boxer at that time good friend of johnny presctt both trained at the holte j.harris

Hello John,
Sad to hear of Colin Page and Johnny Kirwin,I remember John with fondness we met in the ring as schoolboy's twice, winning one each,years later we were having a drink in the Golden Cross,and thought about going for the decider out in the yard,of course, we didn't,we had another drink instead,that was just after he a bad motor bike accident.I have posted a boxing programe on the St.Marys school,thread,John and myself are on it,I'm shown as E.Barratt.Tha name Keith Perrow rings a bell.
regards,
Ernest Raymond Barrett lol

ray thanks for your reply that sounds about the rubber n the yard for the area of the time .idid see your programe and posted it on to colin kirwin johns brother some time ago he was on the same bill was it upper thomas st you went to school because i see afew people from the area jharris

John just looked at you photo no 30 and that brings back memories too. Even an empty shop in those days. Jean.

Hello John,
On that boxing bill is Colin Kirwan,his opponent was Alan Wright,met him a few years ago,he lives on the south coast.The J.smith was my cousin Jim,his opponent was P.fegan,I also know the name Furness.You notice our school U.T.S.was bigger, so St. Marys had to make the number up,with lads from other schools.It was all good fun.we all enjoyed it.
regards,
Ray.

Hello John,
On that boxing bill is Colin Kirwan,his opponent was Alan Wright,met him a few years ago,he lives on the south coast.The J.smith was my cousin Jim,his opponent was P.fegan,I also know the name Furness.You notice our school U.T.S.was bigger, so St. Marys had to make the number up,with lads from other schools.It was all good fun.we all enjoyed it.
regards,
Ray.

Hello again Ray,
Did you realiise that on your Boxing Bill that you posted it was UTS vs St Mary's RC and not C of E, Aston.

Dave,
After I posted that boxing bill on Rt. Marys,I realised my mistake,but didn't know how to delete it.
Ray.

Have just posted a really old postcard view of Aston Cross on the Birmingham Trams thread that might be of interest here.

Back