• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

    We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Brook Street/Chester Street

Number 12 and 13 Weston Avenue seem to disappear from the plans between the 1900s and the 1920s. Weston Avenue is still standing today as part of Aston Brook Green.
 
This image shows what is now 1 Aston Brook Green in the corner of Chester Street and Aston Brook Street (East) in Aston. The photograph was taken in 1979 before the housing was saved from demolition, renovated and named Aston Brook Green. We are interested to hear the history of these houses and who lived here before 1979. We believe the houses were originally built in 1893.View attachment 200507
We were the Green family lived at number 24 from roundabout 1970 to 1981. They used to be steps up into the front door now they’ve just another window for the conversion. I remember Frank Knight written above The Shop and the windows were pretty bad. They just had like pictures of a coal fire or something. I remember the Woodyard at the top of Chester in Hubert Street. I remember Parvin and Harvey confectionery factory. I remember the patch of waste land at the back where Aston Brook Street used to have Neighboured Hubert Street and the chick family lived on Hubert Street and the copes and the Fowlers and the Joneses and the frosts lived on Aston Brook Street. I didn’t know the street went all the way across to the motorway and over towards the curly whirly. There was a little grocery shop on Aston Brook Street and the owners used to have the old classic Morris Minor hatchback with Wood trim on it and a big Saint Bernard’s dog. I remember the houses that ran at the back where Weston Avenue is labelled but connected over to the wasteland towards the corner on the other end of Aston Brook Street where it used to be a scrapyard and then it became traveller site, which it still is today. I remember our neighbours it must’ve been at number 22 an old gentleman called Bill and an old lady called Lil they used to play the piano in the front room and give us 2p when we went round their house. They were very old then, so they must’ve seen a lot of of that street change. I remember the big red gates on ChesterStreet by the coal yard because we used to go over it and Nic a bag of coal and drag it up the street and leave the trail to our neighbours house and then lift it up and run into our house, which I know was wrong, but it was back in the day and it was very funny to look back on. I remember when the ramp appeared for the new motorway it had a kind of brailing on the paving so when we went down on our go-carts, made of planks of wood and pram wheels with washing lines to steering, it vibrated like crazy and of course we had no brakes when you got to the bottom .. we also used to use it in the winter to skid all the way down in the snow. I remember the Albion pub around the corner where my dad never really came out of it. And the outdoor when I used to get Wall sweets lol And the avenue pub further up. And then up to the clock in the middle cross over. I remember the shop on Holland Road we used to go to for sweets and I remember we used to be competitive about our bonfires and we used to always try and set fire to theirs early and they would do the same to us. We would use the wasteland next to the scrapyard. I remember the Donnelly family on Hubert Street we still know them, and the Halls and there was also a Hubert
Street. I remember going in there as a kid with my mum obviously for sweets. My dad was called Sandy and I was also called Sandy. My mum was Kathleen Connor. And my brothers and sisters were Cyril Bobby Sharon and Elizabeth. If anyone remembers us, let us know. Any pictures of that road the way it was with the steps up into your house would be brilliant.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top