• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Assay Office Anchor

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
Ever wondered why the hallmark of the Birmingham Assay Office is an anchor? The story goes that when Matthew Boulton was in London lobbying Parliament, he stayed at the Crown & Anchor Tavern in the Strand, a popular haunt for politicians. Legend has it that with the toss of a coin, land-locked Birmingham won the anchor as its hallmarking symbol, whilst Sheffield took the crown (subsequently changed to the rose).

The story I heard was that the assay office was going to be in Bristol, with its shipping connection; an anchor.

Then there was a change of mind, Birmingham was chosen, but they kept the anchor.

It's interesting that assaying of precious metals has been a legal requirement since the 14th century, and that hall-marking itself dates from the late 15th century. There were many assay offices in the UK, but as Birmingham's was established only in 1776 or thereabouts it demonstrates how relatively unimportant Birmingham was until around that time, at least for the manufacture of items made from precious metals. However, tables are all turned now, as in 2013 there are only London, Sheffield, Birmingham and Edinburgh assay offices left operating. Thanks to my missus for this, as jewellery is her hobby and she knows a bit about precious metals.

G

As an avid viewer of Bargain Hunt and other antique based programmes it comes up fairly often as to why Birmingham has the Anchor assay mark,as earlier post states it was between Birmingham and Sheffield for the 2 hallmarks and so Brum ended upwith the Anchor

We held one of our 'meets' at the Birmingham Assay office not long ago, and we were told (I think ?) that Birmingham and Sheffield simply 'tossed up' for it and Birmingham got the Anchor. Perhaps some one else who was at the meet will confirm ?? Eric

Extract from the web
"The anchor of Birmingham is very common on English silver, but not so common on spoons, with the exception of small spoons such as caddy spoons. Considering that Birmingham is miles away from any sea it would seem inappropriate for the anchor to be its’ assay office symbol. There is however, a good reason for this; the group of men including Matthew Boulton, who were instrumental in setting up the assay offices in both Birmingham and Sheffield, in 1773, used to meet in The Crown and Anchor public house; Sheffield got the crown and the Brummies the anchor."
Hope this clears up the queston

Not all found on the web is valid as a study of Wikipedia could show. References need to be provided please.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

Back