• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ash Road, Saltley

Fashionz

master brummie
I'm curious as to why my mother's family moved from Crawford St. to Ash Road. She says it seemed like a posh place compared to Crawford St. So. I'm wondering did something happen around 1940 to make this possible? and who lived at 44 Ash Road before them?

Hi Fashionz,

Had a quick look, 1912 to 1925 John Edward Hayward & Mary Ann Hayward. 1925 Sidney John Dickenson & William Roger Selby. 1930 to 1935 Sidney John Dickenson & Edith Helen Dickenson & Mary Ann Powell. 1939 John Clay & Rosa Clay.

Macca

There were some newer houses in Ash Rd maybe they moved into one of these. Crawford St was pretty bad the canal people off Saltly docks used the pubs down there and people tended to look down on them. Dek

hi there
going by what i can remember of crawford street way back in the forties and fifties ash rd was posh compared to crawford street beleive me
and the houses was bigger and better conditions and cleaner from the bottom of ash rd up to the churtch yard even thou the old church yard as always been over grown in the last donkeys years but from before the war years and up to the fifties it was always well kept until late early fifties then it fell in a bad state of unkempt and continued up to todays recining
i remember the blackburn family from crawford st and the sharps from lichfield rd moving up to ash rd ina very small and the only block of of masonettes in ash rd in the early fifties ash rd suffered by the water rats problerms it was not the boat people whom they wanted to escape from eventualy the birmingham council
eventual cleared crawford st once andfor all by the late fiftyies and the very early sixtys
best wishes astonion

Hey thanks for your info.
I've only just figured out how to find replies to my threads.
Hi Fashionz,

Had a quick look, 1912 to 1925 John Edward Hayward & Mary Ann Hayward. 1925 Sidney John Dickenson & William Roger Selby. 1930 to 1935 Sidney John Dickenson & Edith Helen Dickenson & Mary Ann Powell. 1939 John Clay & Rosa Clay.

Macca

When my mom lived in Crawford St, they had two bedrooms, I think. Maybe it was one room with a division. Anyway there was nine kids, so I guess they were glad of a bigger house. In Ash Rd, they lived in the older houses, at the back was the remains of Saltley Farm. Even when I was small the stables were still there. I used to play 'up the opening' which was right next to our house. Then there were small factories and work shops in the stables. I sometimes went exploring round the stables, and if I felt really bold I'd go to the ruins of the farm.
There were some newer houses in Ash Rd maybe they moved into one of these. Crawford St was pretty bad the canal people off Saltly docks used the pubs down there and people tended to look down on them. Dek

I used to go to Sunday School in Crawford St. And I had friends who lived in the back to backs, I never went in one. Before they demolished them they did them up, only to knock them down just a few years later. I remember the front gardens being long and narrow.
hi there
going by what i can remember of crawford street way back in the forties and fifties ash rd was posh compared to crawford street beleive me
and the houses was bigger and better conditions and cleaner from the bottom of ash rd up to the churtch yard even thou the old church yard as always been over grown in the last donkeys years but from before the war years and up to the fifties it was always well kept until late early fifties then it fell in a bad state of unkempt and continued up to todays recining
i remember the blackburn family from crawford st and the sharps from lichfield rd moving up to ash rd ina very small and the only block of of masonettes in ash rd in the early fifties ash rd suffered by the water rats problerms it was not the boat people whom they wanted to escape from eventualy the birmingham council
eventual cleared crawford st once andfor all by the late fiftyies and the very early sixtys
best wishes astonion

I can't speak for the reason why anybody would have moved from Crawford St in the 40's. Unless they were bombed out due to their proximity to the gasworks.

I do know that in 1905 the housing in Crawford street like a lot of others in slum areas were given a quick fix renovations as shown in there before and after photos of the rear of 1-16 Crawford St.

Phil

Saltley1-16CrawfordSt1905.jpg
Saltley1-16CrawfordStafterRepairs1905.jpg

Heh Dek, that's a bit strong condemning the good dock workers like that! My Great Great Great uncle William Clifton was a corn grinder in the late 1890's [an ugly beast with a full beard] and later my Great Uncle Alf his Grandson the Foreman there!
Alfs Cousin was the Chief Superintendent of the City Police until he retired in 1938. We lived in Duddeston Mill Road by the canal and you may just be thinking of the 'boaties' that were from time to time stuck there during repairs. We were told not to mix with them as they were invariably flea ridden as it was not rare for families of 10 lived in the tiny 6 x 6ft 6 cabins!
Crawford St area suffered some many bombings at least in 1941 Nov-Dec. See the map in Saltley search. Proud Pete and co!

just a reminder for those who may not know that dek sadley passed away a few weeks ago

lyn

This was posted by Tom Burke on the facebook forum just the other day.

Attachments

• 10409231_1569928669903834_6149052017565741031_n.jpg
    10409231_1569928669903834_6149052017565741031_n.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 18
This is Ash Road Post Office, opposite Adderley Park pub. Now all the earlier buildings in the photo have gone, but the houses beyond where the lady in white is standing at her garden gate remain. Obviously this is a staged photo, but a good record of a local post office.

Screenshot_20240722_202723_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240722_215235_Maps.jpg

Back