• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Asbury Cottage Newton

Yes thanks Janice. Astoness told me about it. Great tool, but I couldn't get it to show up the detail of individual buildings. But thanks all the same. Viv.

BEF0BA6F-B60C-441E-B118-892F626D27CF.jpeg 2C1ADCE6-973D-4FA8-9A73-F0D8F6EFDB49.jpeg

There has been some discussion concerning the Church/ Chapel situated near the Asbury Cottage, and the site “Voices of Great Barr” has been quoted...

https://greatbarr.wordpress.com/amenities/churches/newton-united-reform-church/

The details given are a little confusing as they start with the heading of the Allen Memorial United Reformed Church. There is a picture of this Church and it is on the right hand corner of the junction of Hampstead Road and Newton Road as viewed from above the Malt Shovel on the opposite side of Newton Road.

The thumbnail describes the opening of the Church in 1932.

There is also a picture of what they call the original church being situated on the opposite corner of the junction, and seems to be viewed from where the Church is now situated and looking upwards along the Newton Road.

They say the Church was sold to the Congregationalists in 1823 and believed to have been rebuilt by the Wesleyan in the 1860s. The picture is more likely to be of the 1860 Wesleyan rebuild than the pre 1823 original. There is evidence in the Wolverhampton Chronicle of named preachers at the Independant Chapel, Newton, Great Barr in 1835 before it passed to the Wesleyans.

The second clip shoes the OS Map surveyed in 1885 and shows the Chapel as Wesleyan, and is most likely the one shown in the picture. Later around 1901 on the OS Map, the Chapel is marked as Institute, and seems to have been used by Congressionalists from 1917 according to “Voices,” then becoming too small a new Church is built in 1932.

These churches, the older now long gone one, is the one that I suggested, but incorrectly it seems, was the one close by the cottage we were attempting to identify in the other closely themed thread.
For the record there are many Allen Memorial churches around the world.

2470-0.jpg

Another church. This one is said to be the Asbury Memorial Church situated at the junction of Soho Road/Milestone Lane, Handsworth. The photo was believed taken in the 1960's. It connection is purely to Bishop Asbury and no other thread here.

The Allen Memorial United Reformed Church mentioned here is named after specific persons, as is the one in Wallsend. The Allens may be related, but I don’t think there is any connection with any American Allens.

Following a discussion about a cottage on a postcard labelled
"Great Bar", several ideas were explored on another thread to identify the location of the cottage in the image. Asbury Cottage on the Newton Road Great Barr was one possibility explored. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/great-barr-cottage.48449/page-5#post-608617

This thread covers some of the discussion from that thread which specifically looked at the cottage which was once the home of Bishop Asbury's family.

I believe at one time there were more cottages around Asbury Cottage, almost forming a hamlet. I wonder if anyone knows if there was once a cluster of cottages and a pub/inn near the Asbury Cottage/Newton on old maps ?

The current day view from Streetview is below. Viv.

Remembering the post and the sadly missed OldMohawk.

There is an extensive article in the Autumn 2023 BlackCountryman Magazine concerning Francis Asbury (1745-1816).

Back