• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Arthur Street, Small Heath

Shortie

master brummie
Does anyone have photos of the above street please, at any time when the old buildings were there? Doing the family history of my future son-in-law, who hardly knew his father, and this is where his father lived as a child.

Shortie

Brumgum, thank you. I should have googled it I guess, thanks for reminding me to activate my brain before I type, too!

Brumgum, thank you. I should have googled it I guess, thanks for reminding me to activate my brain before I type, too!
There is other stuff out there but can't place it at the moment, i remember a photo of a gathering of neighbours somewhere and also the tram depot.

Here are three more, though the last does not show much of the street

Arthur_Street_1951.jpg

back2520of2520542520arthur2520street.jpg

Arthur_St_1920s_with_war_memoria3B_on_wall.jpg

Hi shortie this is bordesley park road but that is Arthur st running across the top with the Prince Arthur pub top right. michaelbordesley park road 1.jpg

There is this one, though I'm not sure if its a pub or an outdoor / offsales. It has more the look of an offsales though. Anyway as far as I can see there was only one pub on Arthur St and that was the Prince Arthur, there were however three beer retailers so the odds are with outdoor.

Attachments

• Small Heath Arthur St.jpg
    Small Heath Arthur St.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 67
Hi Pam and Shortie sorry me and tony have been rattling our brains ( dont have much left these days LOL ) but cant think of any If we do I will post for you :)

The names of the Spragg family I thought might help - in 1966 the father (Albert) had died, leaving his wife and five children - Doreen may have married by then, but Albert was about 22 and became the head of the family. There was Lennie and Tony but the names of the others escape me. Mrs Spragg's name was Alice - she died in 2009 and was Carl Chinn's great aunt. Not to worry if you don't remember them.

Hi PamK - Just found the Spragg's marriage certificate - they lived much further up the road, at 5/100, so I don't expect you to have known them.

Pam1511, My husband, Steve Adderley knew a Hampton family that lived at 221 Arthur St. The eldest son was named John and thinks his father's name was Bill, a painter and decorator. John would be about 67-68 and was the oldest of about 6 children. My husband left Arthur St in 1970.

I was born in 120 Arthur St in 1960 next door to a small factory which I think was called Harris something. I lived there until I was seven or eight before moving to Yardley. I've struggled to find photographs of Arthur St too. I would love to see some if there are any out there.

Does anyone have photos of the above street please, at any time when the old buildings were there? Doing the family history of my future son-in-law, who hardly knew his father, and this is where his father lived as a child.

Shortie
my self and my family used to live in mount pleasant and the only thing i can remember is the pub the george arthur and the little road that went around the back which lead you to bordesley junction signal box but in my dvd collection there are 2 dvds of all old brum pubs i will have to have a look at them and see if there is anything there

Back