• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Arnold E Williams & Sons Limited Falstaff House Silver-plated tableware

skellyele

proper brummie kid
Does any one remember or worked at Arnold E Williams & Sons Limited Falstaff House on the Lichfield Road they made Silver-plated tableware ? I would be very interested to hear any information / stories about them . My father was the director there for many. many years .

I worked at Arnold Williams for a short period of time in early 1972 on a temp secretarial assignment. I remember the company was across the road from the
King Edward pub on Lichfield Road. They gave me some silverware coasters when I left there. I enjoyed my time working there and the people were very friendly.
It looks as though the company started at Arnewill Works, 84 Vyse Street in the Jewellery Quarter going back to early 1900's
cbk
and made another move, not quite sure where to. The company was at Vyse Street in 1963. ending up in Lichfield Road. Falstaff House (Falstaff)https://www.silver-collector.com/topic3609.html.... was one of their brand names another was "Pendragon".... which was a modern building/factory. The warehouse was like Aladdin's Cave filled with all kinds of silverware items. The company took part in The 1929 and 1947 British Industries Fairs, 1947 Fair being held at Castle Bromwich............ https://www.silvercollection.it/electroplatesilveRWZdue.html

Here is a 1977 article from the "New Scientist" magazine about the company https://books.google.ca/books?id=DW...nold E Williams,Birmingham silverware&f=false

Do you remember my dad Sidney Ward one of the directors or a Mrs Ducker possibly a June or Joan Ducker worked in the offices ?

When we were small my dad used to take us their if he had to go to work on a Saturday would have been in the 1970`s used to let us play on the typewriters i thought we were so grown up . Felt so important sitting in dad`s swivel chair.I do know it was a very friendly place to work .

Sorry Skellyele, I don't remember any names or faces from Arnold E. Williams. I wasn't there for very long unfortunately. It was often fun to
visit your Dad's workplaces at times. My Father worked for the MEB and before he became mobile checking power levels in many substations around North Birmingham, his work place was a Power Station. Those places were rather scary to me back then.

I will tell him all about this he is 83 now Falstaff was sadly hit by economic hard times( that completely destroyed my dad) and is no longer in operation like so many Birmingham businesses. It has been good looking at the links you sent me , thank you .

Did you work for a Terry Mason ? my Dad says as much as he would have liked to have a secretary he never had one .

Did you work for a Terry Mason ? my Dad says as much as he would have liked to have a secretary he never had one .

I had the pleasure of working for Terry Mason as his P.A. for almost 3 years and left in 1972 to have my first baby. Life was never dull with Terry Mason and we got on enormously. We had many American and overseas visitors into the new silver showroom and T.M. seemed dwarfed by the 2 Williams brothers and the Overseas/American Rep. But he was alway in charge! I could go on ...

Hello Mo Chatting

Do you remember my father Mr Sidney Ward one of the directors at Arnold E Williams & Sons Limited ? he often mentions Terry Mason

Hello Mo Chatting

Do you remember my father Mr Sidney Ward one of the directors at Arnold E Williams & Sons Limited ? he often mentions Terry Mason

I do remember Sidney Ward, but he was a "hands on"
Director and I was mainly around the offices and the
new showroom and at that time it was all very plush,
I didn't venture out of the new building once it was furnished
and established. I'm not surprised your father often mentioned
Terry Mason, I can still smell his cigars.

Dad is 84 now and mum , his wife Pamela passed away in April of this year they were married for 60 years . Would you mind telling me your name ( i do understand if you wish not to ) its just Dad likes to talk about the old days before he joined Williams Brothers he had his father business Arnewill Works, 84 Vyse Street in the Jewellery Quarter which they then in the 60`s joined Williams Brothers to become Falstaff. Dad was broken hearted when Falstaff was sadly hit by economic hard times and was no more . I am so pleased you have taken the time to post on this thread thank you .

I noticed this thread while looking for my Dad's work history at Girling, Tyseley and became distracted! I realise it's over a year old though.

I worked at Arnold E Williams & Sons Ltd from 1972 - '75. Actually, I really conned my way into a job there. I applied as Assistant to Personnel Manager which was basically an audio typist plus some admin work (checking clock cards, initial interviews for new employees type of thing) and had to take a typing test at the interview. I was sent to the Receptionist (June, at the time) and borrowed her electric typewriter. I'd never used one before and my words went off the paper and right along the bare carriage. I still got the job though. I worked then for Harry Wardell (Production Director) and Mr Youngs (Personnel Manager and I can't for the life of me remember his first name and he wouldn't allow me to address him by it either) and shared an office with Chris Jones who worked for Harry and was great fun. There were always jokes about Sales versus Production as production of products was always behind, especially newly launched items.

After about a year I wanted to move into the more glamorous Sales department so applied for a vacancy of Customer Service Supervisor. I then worked with Joe Duggan (Sales Administrator), Robin Riley (Sales Director), and Terry Mason (MD) frequently came downstairs to gee us up. He was always so positive and enthusiastic. Occasionally the whole factory would be called to a large presentation room (around 130 of us!) and he would outline the aims and plans for the company or announce any new products...we were all kept in the picture and it was great that we felt important enough to be involved.

Occasionally, I would accompany Robin into the showroom when we had important visitors such as Macy's from the US or H.Samuel from the UK. It was a glorious room, especially for such a small company. Blue velvet lined wall cabinets housing the contrasting silver-plated items, you couldn't help but feel proud. Robin would do the selling and I just wrote down the orders!

I do remember Sid Ward but don't know his job title. Was he something like Technical Director? I know he was very much involved in the production side although I never worked with or for him.

There are plenty of stories I could tell but this forum isn't all about me so I won't go on! I left when I got married and had to move to Cardiff but my other jobs there were not as pleasurable.

I very much enjoyed working at Falstaff (as we called it for short) and thank goodness no-one can take away those memories - unfortunately the economic situation and competition killed the industry. :(

Well My Dad Sid Ward is 84 now often talks with fond memories of June Ducker and all the others mentioned above , good days .

i am am researching badge manufacturers in the 50s, 60s and 70s. There are many badges and key rings from that period for Jaguar, Man Utd, Liverpool, motorcycle companies etc which have the manufacturer's mark 'AEW BIRM' in a diamond on the back. I am assuming it is a different company to Arnold E Williams the silver tableware company - can anyone confirm that for me?

Many thanks

Richard

i am am researching badge manufacturers in the 50s, 60s and 70s. There are many badges and key rings from that period for Jaguar, Man Utd, Liverpool, motorcycle companies etc which have the manufacturer's mark 'AEW BIRM' in a diamond on the back. I am assuming it is a different company to Arnold E Williams the silver tableware company - can anyone confirm that for me?

Many thanks

Richard

This might be of interest. The company is very well known.

https://www.shawmunstergroup.co.uk/home.php?page=gomm_badges

Thank you for that.

REV Gomm's and its successor's products are well known and sought after by badge collectors in England and overseas - a terrific local company with a fine reputation. It would be good to find out more about AEW; clearly a smaller manufacturer but trusted by companies like Jaguar.

hello skellyele
i remember mr ward i worked as a polisher for arnold e williams also my father harry and brother ray worked there also ,i worked for a short time
at mr wards factory in carroline street. i also remember mr mason and the williams brothers

Hi macd only just seen your post yes my dad Mr Ward ( Sidney ) is 86 now he was one of the directors as a little girl often remember going there on a Saturday , good times .

Hi skellyele, my name is Barrie Teasdale, using my wife's log in. I remember your father Sid Ward with affection. Please pass my best wishes to him. I was Finance Director from 1974 to 1980, but was the external auditor for a few years before then. Williams was my first appointment in the commercial world and I greatly enjoyed my time there. Although I reported to John Williams, I did have a fair bit of contact with Sid, he explained the art of "spinning" to me. I remember Terry Mason, Robin Riley. I left when the company "merged" with another company, can't recall the name. I often pass the building and look at the chimney, still standing and the offices.

Hi Barry just been to visit dad was talking as you do about the old days and he gave me some names to mention to you Charles Young Arthur Holder Ted Nash Joan Roberts Harry Rowell Ray Dowel Malcolm Dowell Arthur Holder is now living in a housing complex in Bournvile dad was really touched that you are membered him but doesn't talk for too long about Falstaff as when they lost Falstaff it devastated dad , don't think he ever got over it.

I worked for Arnold E Williams (AKA Falstaff) from 1972 to 1975 as a Product Coordinator. I worked for Malcom McDowell and Harry Wardell and remember folk like Pat Roach - foreman of the Polishing Shop, David Taylor - Chief Inspector, Tony Coates, and Sid Ward, amongst others. It was a good place to work and fascinating to watch product start as a piece of sheet metal and end up as a Tankard, a Leaf dish or similar. I moved on to a different industry, but have very fond memories of my time there.

I worked for Arnold E Williams (AKA Falstaff) from 1972 to 1975 as a Product Coordinator. I worked for Malcom McDowell and Harry Wardell and remember folk like Pat Roach - foreman of the Polishing Shop, David Taylor - Chief Inspector, Tony Coates, and Sid Ward, amongst others. It was a good place to work and fascinating to watch product start as a piece of sheet metal and end up as a Tankard, a Leaf dish or similar. I moved on to a different industry, but have very fond memories of my time there.
Hi
i came across this page by accident and it brought back some very fond memories.... I’ll try and keep this short..I started at Williams as office junior when I left grammar school in 1969 (I was there for about 5 years I think) I went on to telephonist/receptionist, then assistant to the customer service manager (Joe Duggan) and then to Customer service supervisor, when Joe was promoted. I remember Sid Ward (lovely man). I remember quite a lot of people there...here’s a few of them: John Williams and Edward Williams (who were addressed as “Mr John” and Mr Edward). Terry Mason, Robin Riley, Alex Faulds, Ron Haynes. Tony Coates and Joan Roberts in the warehouse and many more. I left to go and work for one of Falstaffs rivals...Cavalier Tableware, as Export Shipping Supervisor. Happy Days.

Hi
i came across this page by accident and it brought back some very fond memories.... I’ll try and keep this short..I started at Williams as office junior when I left grammar school in 1969 (I was there for about 5 years I think) I went on to telephonist/receptionist, then assistant to the customer service manager (Joe Duggan) and then to Customer service supervisor, when Joe was promoted. I remember Sid Ward (lovely man). I remember quite a lot of people there...here’s a few of them: John Williams and Edward Williams (who were addressed as “Mr John” and Mr Edward). Terry Mason, Robin Riley, Alex Faulds, Ron Haynes. Tony Coates and Joan Roberts in the warehouse and many more. I left to go and work for one of Falstaffs rivals...Cavalier Tableware, as Export Shipping Supervisor. Happy Days.

Hi

Hi Sidney Wards daughter here dad is 90 now still in Hall Green it is so lovely to read all your memories they were happy days.

Does any one remember or worked at Arnold E Williams & Sons Limited Falstaff House on the Lichfield Road they made Silver-plated tableware ? I would be very interested to hear any information / stories about them . My father was the director there for many. many years .
I worked there from 1975 to 1980 in the sales office next to the garage. I was interviewed by a lovely lady called June who was reluctant to give me the job as she said I was over qualified but I insisted I wanted to work there and I'm so glad I changed her mind. I had some very happy years there and wonderful friends. Sadly I had to move on because my job was taken over by the dreaded computer and the work dried up. I still have some of the glassware and china birds I bought whilst working there. Some names from those days I can remember .. Pat and Betty on telephones. John Crump. Lynne and Jan Bolton, Kay in purchasing. The two Mikes sales managers and Trevor Welch.

Back