• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Anyone recognise this building?

found a family roll of negatives, all buildings round town but cannot remember this building
My two pennerth is that the concrete building on the left is the stage door/goods inwards of the repertory theatre.
The two tower blocks are both on Cambridge st, the one on the left is Norton tower, the one on the right is Crescent tower.

Unfortunately I don't recognise the building but the inscription over the archway reads: "Public Lighting Depot". I wonder if the building was in Summer Lane, where there was an early power station which later became the Midlands Electricity Board Workshops? Maybe this building formed part of those workshops. I did my apprenticeship at Nechells B Power Station. Those apprentices in previous intakes to the CEGB Midlands Region used to do their basic workshop training at the MEB apprentice school in Summer Lane; those in my intake and later did theirs at Handworth Technical College, Goldshill Road. A 12-month, full time Pre-Apprentice Course was set up there by the CEGB for novice apprentices.
Don't know if any of this reminiscing will help but it may jog a few memories.

Cheers
datadave
thank you for your reply Yes it does say Public Lighting Dept, but I dont think it Summer Lane as post number 11 and 12 have identified it as Cambridge st. I hope you have jogged a fellow apprentice memory and renewed your friendship.

Back