• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Anyone know of James Fermor, Lupin & Heneage Street?

Steve Fermor

proper brummie kid
I'm trying to find out something of the background of my Grandfather, James Fermor. He was born in 1862 in Hertfordshire, and in the 1901 census was listed as living at 110 Lupin Street, Duddeston, Aston. He was a very skilled cook and confectioner. By 1925 his first wife had either died or left, and so had his children, and he had moved to 120a Heneage Street and had married my Grandmother.
She was considerably younger by 36 years and was called Amy (nee Twyford), and he had two more children, Olive and James (my father).
This age difference might have been something of a talking point at the time.

Something else that would have been a talking point is that around 1933 he tried to commit suicide, by then in his early 70s. He was placed in Erdington Hall following the incident.

A bit of a long shot, but here's hoping if anyone knows anything?

i presume you have the 1881 census where james is an unmarried servant aged 19 living in canterbury edward gaywood and family.

edward gaywood was a confectioner and james was confectioners assistant.

Do you have the 1891 census where he was living with wife Ann and 2 sons,(John aged 4 and Henry aged 1) at 84 Oliver Street.His occupation was noted as Cook.
If you don't have this,I can post a copy for you.

I also found a registered death for an Ann M Fermor
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1860
Year of Registration:1917
Quarter of Registration:Jul-Aug-Sep
Age at Death:57
District:Aston (1837-1924)County:WarwickshireVolume:6dPage:366
This could be his first wife?

Fantastic! Thank you so much - I hadn't checked that far back. Having recently cleared my father's house as he has gone into care, I've unearthed a real treasure trove of photos, a number of which were all taken by the same photographer in... Canterbury. I probably have some of the Gaywood family among them.

Thank you Ladylinda, I'd love to see a copy of that. Almost certainly you have tracked down his first wife - Fermor is an unusual name - I suspect French in origin. All the dates and progression of events check out, so I'd say all this is very accurate.
I'm really heartened by this initial response, and I hope I can in turn provide some information that may help others.

And here's a possible marriage,James Fermor to Ann Marie Mitchell
Year of Registration:1886
Quarter of Registration:Jan-Feb-Mar
District:Aston (1837-1924)
County:Warwickshire
Volume:6d Page:321

Steve
May be of no interest, but, as you so rightly say, Fermor is an unusual name. It does not seem to appear in any of my Birmingham directories of that period except for the following:
1932 Fermor, Lily (Mrs) shopkeeper,505 Bordesley Green
mike

just to finish off your set

1851 and 1841 (forgot 1861, if you want it let me know)

Last edited:
it looks like the marriage was

1843 oct-dec hollingbourne kent 5 397

wife mary bexsell (another unusual name)

if you want to find their fathers names and occ you could send for this cert.

heres the 1861 census. it is quite interesting as john is a carpenter employing men but also ironmonger.

Shera,
Thanks so much for all this information, this is tremendous. I shall be quite busy compiling everything.
I really am very grateful.

Back