• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Any old boys - Turves Green boys sec mod 1960 -1965

lofty

knowlegable brummie
Wondered if any old boys from the early 60's who attended Turves Green Boys School in West Heath. John Forth ( Lofty )

I attended Turves Green Boys during the period 1965 to 1970, so just missed you, but would love to hear from anyone who was there during 65 to 70. Boys names that come to mind are David Cridge, Kenny Orme, Colin Massey, Philip Green, Kenneth Underwood, Leslie Athersuch ?. My memory is not what it was but these are names I can clearly remember. I played for the school football teams throughout that period, as well as turning out for the years above teams in goal. I also attended the primary school. When you played for the schools team, you were automatically picked to represent the school at rugby, cricket, volleyball, basket ball and chess. Colin Massey and myself went on to work at W Cannings in Birmingham. Any photo's, especially football related, would be great. David Cridge and I were good friends but we sadly lost touch when I got married.
My name - Stephen Smith (known for some reason as 'Sid') I was the one that travelled everyday from Chelmsley Wood during the final school year.

Also interested to read another message that referred to 'Cow and Gate' a hot drink available from Northfield Baths. School transported us to the baths but we had to find our own way back and arrive before a lesson. After drying/dressing, we would go upstairs and have a cup of 'Cow and Gate' before making our way back. What was 'Cow and Gate'. No-one believes this actually existed as a drink, not even a worker I knew from the Cow and Gate factory.

Also interested to read another message that referred to 'Cow and Gate' a hot drink available from Northfield Baths. School transported us to the baths but we had to find our own way back and arrive before a lesson. After drying/dressing, we would go upstairs and have a cup of 'Cow and Gate' before making our way back. What was 'Cow and Gate'. No-one believes this actually existed as a drink, not even a worker I knew from the Cow and Gate factory.
Stephen, welcome to the Forum, enjoy! I used to go to Grove Lane and I think Woodcock St baths. They had Cow& Gate at both places. This would be in 53 to 58 timeframe. As I remember it was a chocolate type of drink, very warming on a cold day. It seemed that it was not avail all the time especially in the colder months.
Hope that helps!

Another old Turves Green boy, here, but I left in 1967.

Cow and Gate at Northfield baths was mandatory. :D It was, I believe, a malted chocolate drink. Very warming, after spending hours in my local swimming baths.

Steve.

I attended Turves Green Boys during the period 1965 to 1970, so just missed you, but would love to hear from anyone who was there during 65 to 70. Boys names that come to mind are David Cridge, Kenny Orme, Colin Massey, Philip Green, Kenneth Underwood, Leslie Athersuch ?. My memory is not what it was but these are names I can clearly remember. I played for the school football teams throughout that period, as well as turning out for the years above teams in goal. I also attended the primary school. When you played for the schools team, you were automatically picked to represent the school at rugby, cricket, volleyball, basket ball and chess. Colin Massey and myself went on to work at W Cannings in Birmingham. Any photo's, especially football related, would be great. David Cridge and I were good friends but we sadly lost touch when I got married.
My name - Stephen Smith (known for some reason as 'Sid') I was the one that travelled everyday from Chelmsley Wood during the final school year.
Hi Stephen I remember all of those names as they were in my final year class 4E. I played football for the school with Leslie but he was much better than me. I remember Colin as well. If only I could find my school photo from then. My favourite subject was TD with Mr Bell. Harvey was the Head then I think? I went on to work at GKN. Worked on oil rigs and super tankers in the 70's and then changed direction and worked as process engineer with several medical device companies for 30 years before being Engineering Manager at 2 of these. Retired now 68 but have many fond memories of school days. I used to live in the same street as Chris Mullen and Roy Lea in West Heath. Nice to see the old names. My name is Jeff Murphy.

Hi Jeff, I think I remember a Jeff Murphy. I used to live in West Heath, Houldey Road to be exact. My parents used to run the Star Record shop and photographers in the Fordrough Lane block of shops and later moved into the much larger very end shop. My mothers cousin, Dennis, managed the butchers shop next door. My mother worked nights in the 'Fordrough' pub. My dad was a tool maker at GKN Stirchley. I was a decent footballer and while at Turves Green, played for Birmingham Boys, Warwickshire Boys and represented the Midlands in a 6 aside competition in a team manged

My post 'sent' with out being finished.

and represented the Midlands in a 6 aside competition in a team managed by Ron Wylie, remember him. I noticed Jeff, that 'manutd' appears to be your handle. I follow Birmingham City for my sins, someone has to, and because of my footballing background, played for them for a while, but never got to sign professional terms.
Technical drawing and metal work were my favourite subjects at school and I remember the giant Mr Bell well, in the classroom at the top of the school. The metal work teacher was Welsh, but cant remember his name. I also remember a Mr Brookes, I think that was geography. It was my love of these subjects that led me to W Cannings as a draughtsman. My eldest son tried to to obtain some school football photographs from both the Primary and Senior Schools as a surprise for my 65 birthday but the primary school advised they had had a fire and flood and most of their photographs were lost. The senior school apparently were not helpful. I did have one photo I have now lost, of me in the Turves Green football team before the Triplex Cup final game at the Triplex ground. We lost 4-1. Did you play ?

Hi Jeff, I think I remember a Jeff Murphy. I used to live in West Heath,

and represented the Midlands in a 6 aside competition in a team managed by Ron Wylie, remember him. I noticed Jeff, that 'manutd' appears to be your handle. I follow Birmingham City for my sins, someone has to, and because of my footballing background, played for them for a while, but never got to sign professional terms.
Technical drawing and metal work were my favourite subjects at school and I remember the giant Mr Bell well, in the classroom at the top of the school. The metal work teacher was Welsh, but cant remember his name. I also remember a Mr Brookes, I think that was geography. It was my love of these subjects that led me to W Cannings as a draughtsman. My eldest son tried to to obtain some school football photographs from both the Primary and Senior Schools as a surprise for my 65 birthday but the primary school advised they had had a fire and flood and most of their photographs were lost. The senior school apparently were not helpful. I did have one photo I have now lost, of me in the Turves Green football team before the Triplex Cup final game at the Triplex ground. We lost 4-1. Did you play ?
"Technical drawing and metal work were my favourite subjects at school and I remember the giant Mr Bell well, in the classroom at the top of the school. The metal work teacher was Welsh, but cant remember his name.

AH! The Bell Tower. I remember it well. IIRC the metalwork teacher was Mr. Lea (Lee?) Really nice bloke. Hard as nails. He was in the TA. Rumour had it that it was Para or SAS. I remember on time during his class, two army guys turned up, spoke quietly to him, and off the three of them went. He returned to school a few days later.

to be exact. My parents used to run the Star Record shop and photographers in the Fordrough Lane block of shops and later moved into the much larger very end shop. My mothers cousin, Dennis, managed the butchers shop next door. My mother worked nights in the 'Fordrough' pub. My dad was a tool maker at GKN Stirchley. I was a decent footballer and while at Turves Green, played for Birmingham Boys, Warwickshire Boys and represented the Midlands in a 6 aside competition in a team manged

I'm sure that I had a part time job at Dennis' shop.He was our local butcher.
What was his surname, if you don't mind my asking?

Steve.

Unfortunately, I do not recall his surname, but Dewhurst was the butchers.
We have lived in Somerset for the past 35 years. It was sad to receive some photos a couple of years ago from my sister, showing that all the Fordrough Lane shops had been knocked down and the area flattened, ready for housing. A lot of happy memories from those blocks of shops (split into two blocks, separated by Houldey Road). The barbers, the outdoor on the corner, the laundrette, the newsagents next to the previously mentioned butchers. I worked in both my parents shops after school and weekends when not playing or watching football (had to work, not given any choice). I remember the Rocking Berries and Apple Jacks visiting the shop as well as other one or two hit wonders, on promotion tours.

I also recall an up market grocery store called Wrensons, just along from the Fordrough Pub and if you carried on further down the road, there was a chip shop at the crossroads.

Hi Jeff, I think I remember a Jeff Murphy. I used to live in West Heath, Houldey Road to be exact. My parents used to run the Star Record shop and photographers in the Fordrough Lane block of shops and later moved into the much larger very end shop. My mothers cousin, Dennis, managed the butchers shop next door. My mother worked nights in the 'Fordrough' pub. My dad was a tool maker at GKN Stirchley. I was a decent footballer and while at Turves Green, played for Birmingham Boys, Warwickshire Boys and represented the Midlands in a 6 aside competition in a team manged
I lived in Staple Lodge Road at bottom of the hill, West Heath road end. I remember the shops well and had many a bad haircut at the barbers there. I have very happy memories of those times.

Not sure if I played in the game you mention but I do remember playing there and thinking that the pitch was very flat and extremely big for my little legs. Shame about the photos.

Hi I was at this school 1957-1961 my name is Roy Manning but I was always called manhole even by the teachers. Is there anyone out there that can remember me would love to make contact. I now live in Australia but still a Blues supporter will never change.

Hi Stephen I remember all of those names as they were in my final year class 4E. I played football for the school with Leslie but he was much better than me. I remember Colin as well. If only I could find my school photo from then. My favourite subject was TD with Mr Bell. Harvey was the Head then I think? I went on to work at GKN. Worked on oil rigs and super tankers in the 70's and then changed direction and worked as process engineer with several medical device companies for 30 years before being Engineering Manager at 2 of these. Retired now 68 but have many fond memories of school days. I used to live in the same street as Chris Mullen and Roy Lea in West Heath. Nice to see the old names. My name is Jeff Murphy.

Attachments

• 1969-03.jpg
    1969-03.jpg
    1,009.6 KB · Views: 26
Here's a photo of us lot in 1969, form 4e. We are:
Top Row
David Cridge
Peter Bardell
Graham Hollier
Chris Haddon
Neil Spragg
Alan Shakespeare
Paul Stocks
Tony Coleman
Next Row
Chris Harrison
Steve Richards
Jeffrey Murphy
Andy Tait
Roy Lea
Cliff McDonald
Me
Michael Medhurst
Kenny Orme
Next row
Steve Smith
John Greensmith
John Carr
Mark Whitehead
Chris Mullan
Terry Keating
Keith Hopkins
Bottom row
Steve Jacombs
David Kilner
Les Athersuch
Colin Massey
Philip Jones
Clive Mars
Philip Hill
I'm sure Henry Green was one of us as well but he must have been in the loo :)

Hi Kenneth, OMG, that brings back memories. Thank you for attaching the photo. I do not have any photo's at all. My children were keen to get info' for a family tree. I knew there were sports teams photos (if you were picked for the football team, you were automatically picked for all the other teams, weather you wanted to play or not) but these have long gone. One of my sons actually visited Turves Green Primary School to get photos of the football teams but apparently they had a fire and then a flood and all was lost. My name is Steve Smith (Sid). The person I was closest to at school was Dave Cridge, but hung about with Kenny Orme, Phil Hill and Colin Massey. Kenny Orme and myself had Saturday jobs at Wakefields Army and Navy Stores in Birmingham and Colin and I both went onto to work at W. Cannings in Great Hampton Street. I believe Andy Tait also went there but we never came across him. Its a small world because 2 of my daughters children go to Turves Green Girls School (or something like King Edwards Turves Green School) but its in the same place. I was the one that travelled back and forward to Chelmsley Wood in the last year of school. I also preferred TD, in fact it was as a design draughtsman I joined W. Cannings. Like a lot of Turves Green boys. I started in West Heath Nursery, into Turves Green Infants, into Turves Green Junior and finally into Turves Green Boys Schools. In the beginning, up to leaving Primary School, I lived in Houldey Road West Heath before moving to Stirchley for the first few years at the Seniors before moving to Chelmsley Wood for final year. My parents ran the Star Record Shop in Fordrough Lane but we continually moved for Dads work ( thats what I was told anyway). Now live in Somerset, been here 35 years but Birmingham is still home and I'm still a keen Blue-Nose. Had several different careers after leaving W Canning's, Engineer, Plumber, Commercial Kitchen equipment installer, Salesman, Ran a Catering Equipment distributor for 10 years employing 60 people and into my current job, (retired, but still working 6 or 7 days a month) Commercial Kitchen Consultant, Designer and Projects Manager. I recognise most of the faces and names on the photo, but a few escape me. Love to see any other photo's or hear any other stories you have. Since leaving W Canning's, I have not come across any of the people in the photo. What happened to Dave Cridge, Colin Massey, Kenny Orme and the rest.

Hi Steve, l'm glad you enjoyed seeing the picture (I know why we called you Sid, by the way). It's been a long time. If you remember... We and several others on the photo went through school together, first day of the infants to last day of secondary. The last person l saw was Steve Jacombs a couple of years ago, we bumped into each other at the Coach and Horses, I saw Dave Cridge a couple of years earlier at a Rover convention on Cofton Common - l saw him but couldn't think who he was so didn't approach him, the penny dropped later. My best friends after leaving school were Steve J and Kenny Orme, I also got on well with Chris Ottley who l think lived near you. Sad to report that he's no longer with us. I could go on for ever about school stuff but l'll move on. I left school in 1970 as most of us did - (l think Keith Hopkins and Phil Hill went on to university) - and managed somehow to get an apprenticeship with GPO telephones, now BT. It was a good career in those days, so good that l stayed there for 32 years before taking voluntary redundancy when l was 48. After a couple of years off, l got a part time job in the control room at Redditch town hall, escaping into retirement about 5 years ago. I remember you moving to Chelmsley Wood, l was amazed that you managed to travel to Turves Green every day without collapsing. I live in Bromsgrove now, planning to move to Worcester if the housing market doesn't fall over first. Most of all, l'm enjoying my life and l hope you are too, and all the others on that ancient picture. Bye for now:)
Ps, another lad in 4e -Stephen Cleaver (Clanker) - must have been off sick that day!

Great to hear from you again Kenneth. Before you responded, along with Jeff Murphy, I was beginning to think all the others had unfortunately passed away. Good to hear there are still some about. Yes, I lived about 4 mins from Chris, I went to his house quite a few times. Big guy Chris, thought he would outlive us all., that's really sad. My big passion at school was football and to everyone surprise, including my own, I went on to represent Kings Norton District, Birmingham Boys and West Midlands Boys, while at school, Leslie Athersuch, played with me for Kings Norton. Having left school, I continued playing, had trials for Blues, Villa and Walsall but never made the grade, but I played semi-professional with Yardley, Alverchurch and Solihull Borough, with occasional outings for Blues reserves (when they were short). My Dad (fortunately) had a strict work code and I had to pursue a good 'proper' job at the same time. Its a good job I did. Talking about my dad, Leslie (Les) Smith, he also worked for the GPO as a toolmaker in Bordesley Green. He was there for some years and his brother worked there as well, Tommy Smith. Dad was also a member of the Post Office fishing club. His apprentice was Pete Smith, he was a couple of years older than us. Not sure if you knew them or came across them.
We I got married, we lived just outside Leicester but then moved to Beoley near Redditch until we moved to Somerset. As previously mentioned, still work part time but hope to retire fully next year. Something at the back of mind tells me that Kenny Orme had something to do with horses and hounds, but that could just be my imagination. I seem to have lost contact with virtually everyone from school, its so different today, all my kids seem to know whats happened to all their school friends and where they are and what they are doing. Social media I suppose.

Wondered if any old boys from the early 60's who attended Turves Green Boys School in West Heath. John Forth ( Lofty )
Hi, I was at T G boys from Sept 1958 til April 1962. Teachers I remember are Wilkes, Lewis, Goss, Morris, Squires, Bowen, Cator plus other faces with names I dont remember. Higget was the main gym teacher, couldn't stand him. I did enjoy cross country, good chance to get muddy! Some teachers were in the school band, Bell, Laurence & a couple of others.

I was there from 63-68......name Keith Reilly......I have been on Facebook and B4 that that Friends Revisited thing and not managed to find many names I knew.....Remember being assaulted by head Bridge on one occasion.

I used to buy punk records from that shop then get 2oz of midget gems from Mortons then go home and listen to the Sex Pistols hobbling on my sweets.

Back