• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ansells Brewery

hi fay. thanks for that idea. i didnt realise that there may be a head office. will try and find out where it is and write to them. im not going to give up till i find a pic of the pub. its now become a bit of a mission lol. yes your ancestors certainly were into ansells. dont know if you are anything like me but i like to try and find photos of streets..roads... pubs etc that are relivant to my family history so if you are looking for any perticular photo let me know and i may have it.

cheers

wales:)

Wales, Ive trawled through literally thousands of photos of brum and all the relevant pub sites as you have done yourself , but that particular one seems really elusive! There must be someone out there who has a picture of that pub.

hi astonite. thanks for your help. elusive is not the word. as i have posted many times before if i didnt know better i would have to be thinking this pub was only in my dreams lol but of course it wasnt as i do have a photo taken inside the bar with the regulars on last orders before it closed and was demolished in 78. this is a newpaper cutting and i would assume taken by either the evening mail or the mercury. i have posted this pic but for the life of me i cant remember where. i must have pics of most of the pubs around the area but this one. think i will throw a huge party when i get hold of it.ha ha.

wales:):)ps i have been told that the evening mail and murcury have no archives.

If you know the approximate date, have you looked through the papers at the library, they have copies of all the Birmingham papers on film.

astonite. i had thought of that in the hopes thats maybe a pic was also taken of the outside of the pub. i surpose i could trawl though both papers for the year 1978 but i have this feeling that only the pic of the inside would have been printed. thats always assuming that it was in the paper in 78 as it could have been years later in one of the birmingham history topics. i will go and have another look and see if there is a date but i dont think there is.

wales.:)

astonite. the caption under the photo reads.LOCALS BID FAREWELL TO THE VINE INN IN 1978 BEFORE IT DEMOLISION. as this is in past tense it does suggest that it was put in the paper after 1978. but the question is when. i will not give up though. it must be out there somewhere.

wales:)

Fay just catching up on threads after a few days away. What were your parents names only my husband and brother worked at the Ansells Aston Cross and Pete only left a year ago when it was Carlsberg. I know people who worked at Tamebridge house also. Jean.

hi mike. i cant get me hopes up here but the info you have given must be looked into.

thanks mike will be in touch

lyn:)

Llyn there was a magazine out a few years ago on the history of Ansells. As usual we lent it to someone and didn't get it back. Try Carl Chinns office on 766 8181 they have back dated issues to order. Bye. Jean.

jean. thanks for that i know all about not getting books back. i have just emailed carl asking if can find a small corner in the brummagem to send out an sos lol. mike just looked at that site. its very interesting. i have taken all the details and will be phoning them up tomorrow. if they think they may have the vine then swindon here i come.

thank you all for your help

Lyn
I got the impression from the site that you have to look through the index cards yourself. You might succeed in (metaphorically) waving your eyelashes at them and get them to look, but, if that doesn't succeed, then, I'd be interested inseeing what they've got, and Swindon isn't all that far on the train from Reading , so let me know, and it'll be an added incentive for me to get off my behind and visit them
mike

mike. i reckon you do have to plough through the index cards yourself but if i talk nicely when i phone them tomorrow maybe they will have a look. if not and it sounds like they may have a pic i am quite prepared to go there and look myself. lets face it ive almost tried everything else. will let you know how i get on tomorrow.

thank you again

My father Alf Bramwell was a brewer from 1934 to 1944, during the war he used to bring home a syrup that was used to sweeten the beer and we used it in our tea ! people came to our house often to see if he could get a firkin of beer for a party, only workers were allowed to buy them as beer was in short supply.and he would to go to the party to tap the barrel , he was invited bring my mom & me to stay for the party . he also kept a bottle of Fining's at home & if the beer at the local pub was cloudy the landlord used ask him to come & fix it.

Pete found his badge while clearing out a drawer. It was made when the strike was over. Terrible time that. Pete was in hospital the day they voted to go on strike and he could see the writing was on the wall. He did get his job back hence the badge. Jean.

Jean,

My son is an Ansell. His great grandfather times 4 was the brother of Joseph Ansell, who started Ansell's Brewery. Not in his blood though, he never drinks.

Ann

I have an Admission Programme of Ansells Aston Darts League, my grandad, Thomas Pugh was on the committee, Chairman was T. Dingley, Treasurer was W. Cooper and Hon. Secretary was J. Arnold. Anyone out there related to these

Anselld Brewery produced a 78 record advertising Bruno beer which was sung by the Hedley Ward Trio.This record was given to all its staff.Does anyone have any further details of this record as I am researching into the life and times of Jack Mckechnie guitarist with the Trio?Did they produce any other promo records?
Any info/photos/reminiscences etc of Jack the Trio the records etc would be gratefully received.
Thanking you in anticipation for any help.
Ronald John Saunders
Just put a search in on I Tunes and Hedley Ward Trio has a version of Rock Around the Clock in there.
Steve

Does anyone recall the Drayman's strike in about 1958?
I remember when I was walking home from school at Upper Thomas St and passing the brewery, fountains of beer started gushing out of the drains and my shoes were full of it. As I got to the end of the brewery across from Catherine St, an old fellow ran down the hill with a big jug off one of the old wash stands and was filling it up. I said "oi you don't want to drink that it's been in the drains" he says, taking a huge gulp, "They're all washed out by now" and off he went.
There were one or two dogs staggering about too.
Catherine St was awash as the beer ran all the way to the bottom and flooded the factory yard out.
When I got home I chucked my socks in the washing basket. When Mum got home from work she questioned me, had I been drinking?
Apparently, the beer was past the sell by date and management ordered the brewers to dump it. As they were in sympathy with the Draymen, instead of loosing it one vat at a time, they did them all at once.
Steve

I have a photograph of the the first team football team from the 60s.
my brother in law was the manager.his name was John Ravenscroft.
had some good times at the Ansells club in Perry Barr.a Mrs Parker
used to run the club.her son Bobby wre great friends.
sorry but i don't know how to put the photo on the site.

I and My Father worked there and we had some happy times at Ansells in the boiler house ...I also remember being on strike for an indiscretion :rolleyes:by someone from the union there:D

I remember the strike very well i was on the front of b,mail.do you remember when the workers turned one of the tankers over in the yard.Ken Bradley and Jimmy Hill were the union stewards then.

When I first met Michael he worked for Distillers Co2 and delivered to Ansells. I often went with him on my day off (you could in those days). On one occasion the security decided to search his cab with me in it. I was scared to death untill I looked up and saw the men on the gantry laughing. Talk about a stitch up!!:D

Wendy_1972.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back