• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Angelina Street Highgate

fergie

master brummie
I was on a course yesterday and needed directions, when checking the A - Z I saw that the venue was around the corner from Angelina Street the address of my gggrand parents Samuel and Lydia Taylor in 1881. I decided to check it but I was so disappointed because the houses were relatively new. Does any one have any information/pictures I can't seem to find any?

:angel: I lived in Dymoke St in the 1940/50's and my Dad played the piano in the Prince of Wales Pub on the corner of Dymoke St and Angelina St. Angelina St had a hill, down which we would ride our trikes and Scooters. My end of Dymoke St no longer exists, only the top end going towards Highate Park.
Type Highgate or Dymoke in to the search at the top of this page and a fair bit of info' on the area will come up.
View attachment 7504

Hope this helps :cool:

Last edited:
Thank you best friend for sharing your memories of Angelina Street, what lovely ones they were too.

My Great Grandfather on my fathers side was George Harrison and from family info I beleive he ran a fruit and veg shop and lived in Angelina Street.

Does anyone recall the shop or the family??

paul i have just posted a pic of angelina st on the general pics thread..under the title of old evening mail pics have you seen it...

astoness

Hi Astoness
Have had a look through your pics, which one is actually Angelina Street????
I have never been there myself ;-)

Hi Astoness
I found the Angelina Street picture. Not sure if it is my great grandfathers shop as there is noone in the family that actually remembers it.

The only info I have is that his name was George Harrison and I know the shop sold fruit and veg.

He was also very fond of horse racing.

Paul
Don't know if this is any help. In the 1908 kellys george Harrison had a greengrocers at 36 Angelina st. A map i attached about 1910 showing no 36 on the north side in red.
mike

kellys_angelina_st_1908.jpg

map_c_1910_angelina_st.jpg

hi paul..i have posted the pic here for you..anglelina st is facing and has a street sign on the wall

mike another good map...

lyn

Lyn
Judging by the angle of the corner, the shop must be No1. The car just round the corner looks like postwar. In 1956 and 1964 Kellys this was occupied by fishing tackle manufacturers (Joseph Sanley and T. Barfield respectively), while in 1950 edition it was Osky super metal toys.
Mike

hi mike...thank you for that info..i am sure it will be of interest to paul...

lyn

ps i nearly left that pic out as i was not sure if angelina st was in birmingham and the kellys and old a to z are round my bros...must get them back....

Mike/Astoness
Many thanks for the info.

I have delved into some old family photographs in the loft last night and the shop was in fact a greengrocer so pretty sure it will be the one Mike has pointed out at Number 36.

Thanks for the picture of the corner shop Astoness.

These both give me somewhere to start on tracing my family and an idea of where they lived etc.

Hi Lynn and Mike, Rod posted that map for me a few days ago under the Dymoke St thread LOL.
I lived in both the houses that are right next to the factory in Dymoke St that goes right through to William Edward St.
Lynn I was going to answer your question about was Angelina St in Brum , but then I saw your posts on this thread and realised that your question had been answered by you reading Paul's request thread and post.

By the way folks if your woundering yes I did live in many areas of inner Brum, my family moved around a lot (Glad I'm not tracing my own where abouts for a family tree).
Allesly St Aston, Dymoke St Highgate, Gt Lister St Nechells, Hayes Grove Pype Hayes, Kellett Rd Nechells, St Andrews Rd Small Heath, Osler St Ladywood, and Saltly Rd Saltly and then it was off to London.

lol chris..your ancestors are like mine then... some of mine moved around so much i cant keep up with it...still looking forward to that pic you are going to post when you have time...

lyn

Hi Lynn, that wasn't my ancestors that lived in those places, but myself and my own family. They had also lived in at least four other houses and streets, before I was born in Allesley St, I know that Park Lane Aston and Wheeleys Road were two of them. You can also see from my post that we lived at two addresses in Dymoke St, 14 back of 46 and then 46 it's self. My Mom was always on the move even after we had all left home, I think the rest home may be one of the longest times she's been in one place. As a child her stepfther worked the fairgrounds and they lived all over the country, all five girls (she and her sisters) were all born in different cities pf the UK.

Sory you may have to wait for the pic' my son has not returned the 'old hard drive' yet.

lol chris..i think i must be having a major senior moment at the min.....yes i see what you mean now...your mention of aston lane has just reminded me that i am sure i recently came accross a pic that may not have been posted before...would you like me to try and find it and post it for you....

lyn

Thanks Astoness for the picture of Angelina, my husband lived at No 31 during the 40s 50s and 60s. the corner shop was a second hand business run by Sadie Fox during the later years and next one up was the fishing tackle shop where my husband bought his fishing gear from, Tommy Barfield used to make some fine fishing rods. Wendy.

Hi Malta
Would your husband happen to remember if there was a number 36 during the 40's, 50's or 60's??
My Great grandfather and great grandmother (George & Rose Harrison) used to run a fruit and veg shop at number 36 but it seems to dissapear off records????

Hi PaulHammond. Number 36 would have been on the other side of the road which was demolished and St Martins Flats were built on that site my husband thinks it was around 1938, my father worked as a plasterer on them before joining the RAF and going to War. His parents would have surely known your G.Grandfather but alas they are no longer with us to tell the tale. cheers Wendy.

Wendy
Thanks for the info. It is another little piece of the story that is helping me to piece together my family history. We did wonder what had happended to the shop so that has answered that one.....................on with the trail ;-)
Paul

A photo of Harrison's fruit and veg shop in Angelina Street. I think the lady in the doorway could be my great grandmother.

Lyn
Judging by the angle of the corner, the shop must be No1. The car just round the corner looks like postwar. In 1956 and 1964 Kellys this was occupied by fishing tackle manufacturers (Joseph Sanley and T. Barfield respectively), while in 1950 edition it was Osky super metal toys.
Mike

This photo was taken late 60s, the shop at that time belonged to Mrs Fox who lived in William Edward ST, the smaller building was a fishing tackle shop, and the gate in the middle was my friends yard they lived at number 2 William Edward St, the photo was taken not long before demolition, there is now a school on that site

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another one for Mikejee! I see in your earlier Kellys post, Mike, that Russell Square is listed, but where on a map does it appear please. In 1901 I have the ISON family at 1 Russell Square and in 1911 they are at 7 Russell Square.

Maurice

Maurice.
Bit of a mystery here. The 1900 and 1910 Kellys lists it as by 14 Angelina St. The 1890 Kellys lists an Angelina Terrace there. By the time of the c1950 map it has been replaced by St Martin's Flats. But the c1889 map also calls the terrace there Angelina Terrace. So at some time post 1889 it must have changed it's name. I am not sure if when it was called Russell Square it also included the Emily Terrace as this terrace on the c1889 map is not mentioned in Emily St in either the 1890 or 1910 Kellys . Have marked Angelina Terrace (presumably later Russell Sq) in red.
map c1889 showing Angelina terrace, later Russell Sq.jpg

Thank you , Mike, Russell Square being the abode of the ISON family, another rare surname, who previously hailed from Coventry. Looks like I have some more interesting stuff to research, though I doubt whether there is much in the way of photographs prior to the erection of St Martin's flats. Cheers.

Maurice

Thank you , Mike, Russell Square being the abode of the ISON family, another rare surname, who previously hailed from Coventry. Looks like I have some more interesting stuff to research, though I doubt whether there is much in the way of photographs prior to the erection of St Martin's flats. Cheers.

Maurice
Maurice I have just come across your post this morning whilst I was doing some family research. The family I am looking at were named Holt and according to the 1911 census were living at 1 back of 8, Russell Square, Angelina Street. Perhaps the two families knew each other :)

Back