• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

alum rock

kay16

hello i used to live on gowan road in 1974 and i would love to see photos from that time onwards !! i was only 6 yrs old and remember trips to woolworths with my siblings & parents every sarurday ! there was a jesters foodstore on the top corner of gowan/alum rock road ? and there was a lovely corner shop at the bottom of my road & tarry road run by a very tall giant man called alan! we were in awe of him because of his height ! would love to see any photos if you guys have any !!! i rarely go to that area now its like going to another planet ! but alum rock was in its heydays when i was growing up there !! the co-op and the woolworths there were so many high street shops & it ws clean !!! looking forward to hearing from you guys soon !

Some houses seem to be fairly modern, post 2000 maybe but most appear to be early 1900s.

There are a couple of early photos that just about show the Alum Rock Road end of College Road here...

Last edited:
MWS, my grandparents used to live in College Rd from 1940's until probably 1990's i think. I checked street view it looks like fairly modern properties now. Grandad owned two shops opposite the Rock Cinema.

What were their names? If we know that we can check on eroll what number they lived at and then see if it is still there.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
MWS, my grandparents used to live in College Rd from 1940's until probably 1990's i think. I checked street view it looks like fairly modern properties now. Grandad owned two shops opposite the Rock Cinema.

All the buildings on the left (as you go from Alum Rock Road) look original.

On the right there are newer properties, 29ish onwards.

Last edited:
It looks as if a number of houses were demolished and new properties built in their place.
1945 map
1679925839495.png
Present day
1679925929938.png

Last edited:
Hubert & Ivy Oldacres 41, College Rd. Grandad owned HB Oldacres opposite The Rock & a shop on the Dudley road.

This must be a relative are yours then...

Which I now see you've seen before. Sorry.

Back