• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alum Rock Road Shops

The small cinema at the bottom end of the Rock (before George Arthur Road) was called the 'Tote' during the1950s/60s.

WendyP

Going back to one of your earlier postings (10th March) when you responded to two photo's of the 'Rock', one you recognised as the Capital cinema but the other you said you were 'going mad trying to work it out' (where the photo was taken).

Having lived in George Arthur Road from 1939 to 1965 I think I may be able to help!

My initial gut-feeling tells me the location was approx. between Reginald and Ralph Road, looking diagonally up the 'Rock' (the view being on the cinema side of the road).

Further observations support this:-
1. If we look at the parked car in the middle of the photo, above it are three
archways. Above the centre archway is a drainpipe leading to the house roof
guttering, midway down the drainpipe and just to the right of it can be seen
something that looks like a date plaque.
This plaque is almost opposite Ralph Road, and is still there to this day.
2. Using the same drainpipe as a datum, to the right we can count five bedroom
windows and then a small gag between the houses (between two shop
canopies).
The exact window patterns and spacing plus the gap between the houses is
evident today.
3. To the left of the tram can be seen quite a large opening between buildings (end
of visible shop canopies).
This position is just about right to be Wright Road.
4. The far right hand side of the photo shows a side road.
This I believe to be Ralph Road.

Hope this may be of interest to you.

Saddlebag

Does anyone remember "Sinfield and Son" builders and decorators opposite McAuleys Bike shop. I worked for them in 1941, they fiddled on bomb damage work and went to prison. the firm closed down. I was 2 weeks in the Law Courts as a witness to the work done. Geff

Hi, I lived in the road opposite McGauleys (Reginbald Road) and dont remember Sinfield. the shop on the corner of my road was Clarkes and then round the corner in Alum Rock Road was Harris's greengrocers. So whereabouts exactly was Sinfields.

Here's one of the bottom of Alum Rock Road with it's junction with Washwood Heath Road. Barclays Bank on the junction and the Tilt Hammer on the right. Judging by the bollards and the cars, I guess it was taken mid-fifties.

Great Pic, brings back memories. My Grandfather William Palmer who lived at 9 Jackson Road opened a bank account for me at this branch of Barclays when I was a little lad.
Regards Chris B

Hallo Wendy, It is many moons ago, I can remember the bike shop and the cinema but to tell exactly where, is now beyond my memory. The Office of Sinfields faced the road with a side entrance leading to the workshop at the rear of the building, it is about 60 years since I was anywhere near that area. Memories do fade a little over time. Geff

Bobbygee
Thanks for posting the great picture of the Alum Rock taken from the 'Gate'.
Much to my amazement I feel sure the two gentlemen stood in the arched doorway of the bank are my father and uncle (Dad lived in George Arthur Road). I have independently asked both my wife and bother if they recognise anyone in the photo and they too have picked out them both. I will add this to my treasured collection of photo's of the old Alum Rock/Saltley.
One photo I would dearly love is of St. Saviour's C of E junior school (opposite George Arthur Rd) taken around the 1940's/50's when it was an old Victorian building, is there anyone out there who can oblige?

Thanks again Bobbygee

Does anyone remember the name of the Supermarket on the 'Rock'
Looking up from the gate it was on the right hand side somewhere near Oldacres(later Harlew)
I think it was the first supermarket I shopped in.
It had to be between 1961 and 1967.

Hi

There used to be a Tesco on the corner of George Arthur road, I wonder if thats what you mean. Its about the right time. Otherwise there were the Co-ops much further up the Rock near to Woolworths.
WendyP

Until Tesco in Alum Rock opened, I used to go with my mom to Coventry Road every Friday night. We would catch the number 8 bus and walk down Grange Road or Green Lane.

We would carry bags of shopping between us, don't know how we did it!

That was when mom used to spend £7 on the weekly shop!

Saddlbag - you mention St Savoius school.

I went to Adderley Infants school which was in St Savious Road opposite George Arthur. Is this the school you mean?

There was an entrance in St. Savious and another in Adderley Road.

I understood it was still there but now a nursery or creche. Maybe the old buildings have been demolished.

suemalings
St. Saviour's junior school was on the Alum Rock road, opposite George Arthur Road and next to the 'Rock' cinema.
Thanks for the response

Saddlebag

Wendy,it must have been Tesco because that is where it was.
Sue,Oh for the days of a weeks shopping costing £7.

Hi
Thats a lovely clear photo and brings back so many memories. I remember the bank being there. Thank you

It is a good photograph isn't it. What strikes me more than anything is that the area looks so quiet. It couldn't have been a Sunday because the delivery lorry in the foreground is obviously working. One of the shops on the right-hand side was a pork butcher. I think that it was the first one with the canopy. They kept their own pigs on a small holding and slaughtered them on-site. I remember one day when one of them made a bid for freedom and careered out of the shop onto the main road, causing absolute mayhem with traffic and people trying to escape. Poor pig.

Bobbygee
Thanks for posting the great picture of the Alum Rock taken from the 'Gate'.
Much to my amazement I feel sure the two gentlemen stood in the arched doorway of the bank are my father and uncle (Dad lived in George Arthur Road). I have independently asked both my wife and bother if they recognise anyone in the photo and they too have picked out them both. I will add this to my treasured collection of photo's of the old Alum Rock/Saltley.
One photo I would dearly love is of St. Saviour's C of E junior school (opposite George Arthur Rd) taken around the 1940's/50's when it was an old Victorian building, is there anyone out there who can oblige?

Thanks again Bobbygee

That's incredible that it happened to be your father and uncle. It was taken by my uncle Ron from the window of his bedroom. I went to St Saviours. I can clearly remember what it looked like. There was a seperate entrance for boys and girls. The toilets were on the front of the school. I can still smell the lifebuoy carbolic soap. Amazingly you can still buy it. I bet it doesn't kill as many bugs as it used to have to.

Help, I'm new to this forum. People keep commenting on photographs they've seen on here. Can someone tell how I can see these photo's thnxs

Another photo of Alum Rock Rd, this one is from the 1960's.

Phil

I remember the shop built on a bob so well, it always fascinated me as a child. Never thought I'd ever see it again. Thank you
icon7.gif

Roy,
Ted Haynes also had a large double-fronted shop on Alum Rock Road near to the Capitol Cinema. We had a shop almost opposite and, as a boy, I was always being sent across to Haynes' for some item of fruit or veg.
It used to amuse me that the staff had a way of referring to their fruit and veg by pronouncing them backwards - "A couple of sananab, sir?" or "Have you seen our fresh segnaro?"
I also remember that they had another branch at Kitts Green at the top of Mackadown Lane.

There was also a Ted Haynes on Washwood Heath Road, Ward End opposite Sladefield Road. I remember going there with my mom every Saturday morning and feeling embarrassed cos' the Saturday boys that served mom would wink and smile at me.

Only just found this thread. Thought I would mention that we lived at 93/5 Herrick Road. My Mom & Dad lived there until about 1976 when they moved to Aston Church Road. Interesting to see some of the photos posted here. I have a photo of the old playground at the back of Hutton Community Centre in Herrick Road if anyone's interested.

TonyC

Hi
Yes The shop that stands on a Bob was great, sold all sorts didnt it? Do you also remember Zissmans mens shop just up from May Mitchells wool shop before the Methodist Church.
I too used to go in Fowlers to buy my records but mainly to listen to them!
Did you go to Staffords to have your hair cut, or Mr. Lowe the barber by Reginald Road.
WendyP

My Dad, and his Dad before him owned Staffords Hairdressers at no 216 and my grandmother lived in the back. I remember the Shop that stands on a Bob - it really did, having had a shilling buried in its foundations. I bought records from Ludloe's, on the corner of Ludlow Road. I bought penny bottles of pop from Bloomer's. All our electrical goods came from Shaw's.

I missed the last week of the Grand Cinema because I was on holiday, but apparently they showed old newsreels made by Mr Cosens, the owner, in the 1920s, including one of my granpa's own football team, the Stafford boys, who tried out young lads for Aston Villa. If those films still exist somewhere, I'd love to see them.

Hi, I remember Jester's the Grocers, it was on the corner of Gowan Road. It was opposite the Rock Public House.
My Mom used to go to Jester's to buy broken biscuits from the tins - we could get lots for our money. My uncle used to say if they have run out, ask them to break somemore!

The Tropmans photo.... on the opposite side to the café on the corner of Clodeshall Road, there was Armstrong's tool shop with timber yard at the back and an extension builders yard across the road next to said café. They were a true family business; Bob Armstrong's missus ran the shop while he and his three sons did the donkey work in the builders' and timber yard.
I wanted to do some wood modelling when I was about ten and went into Armstrong's without any real idea of what I wanted to make, so I asked for "some wood". Mr Armstrong spent ages helping me plan the project and cutting wood for it. Try that in Homebase!

hi there
yes i also can remember the alum rock rd way back to 1953 4 and at the top or if you like the middle of it
to highfield rd there was the der tv shop on the corner and also the nuts family and there sewing machine selling shop
and how all the streets was tree lined just like belgrave rd was long before that
and we lived on lichfield rd by thompsons the butchersup cromwell terrace and the neibour the craddocks family moved up
to highfield rd from a small grtty but well kept people of a family whom worked hard there was only one son then
and i used to go up the rock then and it semed a different part of brum because it was posh then
and a well kept road especialy by the alum rock pub which the tv shop was acrosss the rd
sadly it heart breaking today to see the place

There used to be a Marks & Spencer Store on the right just before Bowyer Road when the maximum price was 4 shillings and 11 pence the building is still there, looking at "Google " street view, regards Reg, Roverman

Back