• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Allcock Street, Deritend

just wondered who you are because i lived at 20 allcock st next door to the weston pub untill about 1957 and whent to tilton rd school you must have lived up the top somewhere by ransfords shop
marjorie

Hello Marjorie, On thinking about it, I must have lived up the entry opposite you. Did you know the Smiths as Mrs Smith was kind to me? If you did live opposite me then would you have known Pat Reynolds who lived in the house at the front (54?) and does Charlie who used to sell seafood at the Wagonners mean something to you? Up our entry there was us to the left hand house and Mrs Clarke lived to the house on the right. We had an air raid shelter in the yard opposite the toilets. Ransfords would have been the shop at the top near Liverpool Street? Dad moved us to London, we were to move to Castle Bromwich I think, into a new house, but dad had got a job in Hackney so we moved there. Mum never liked London and always regretted the move. I would really like to know what you remember of things because although we had nothing, Allcock Street has a special place in my memory. The gasworks (the coke yard) in Adderley Street may not have been so good for me as it left me with asthma. I go back periodically and where I think you may have lived is a tool shop. Am I right? Thanks Chris

hi chris i dont know if im right but did your dad drive a bright yellow pickup truck or is that some one els ? i remember pat ravenscrofft who lived at the front one the left had side mary boil jimmy boil irean parks johnny gibb and of cause the warralls im marjorie smith and you are right a bout our house it is a tool hire shop i have been down there myself a couple of years ago.if you look at the pictures of allcock st i think the one is ours becaus in the earley 1900s our hous was a shop because there are adverts on the wall and i have looked up the recard in the libary in town if you go to the libary on the 6 floor there are all sorts of pictures you can look at all very intresting but i havent come across any on your side of the road by the way i cant remember any one named charlie who sold fish my dad was called charley but i remember quinney who came round selling perry wincles best wishes marjorie

Dear Marjorie,

I am so pleased that you replied. I have really good memories of your family. Your mum was a lovely woman to me. When I played with you all, she treated me as one of the family. Dished me up a bread and dripping - lovely!

I really liked Pat Ravenscroft who was a good mate to me. Her mum played a piano - do you remember?

Yes, my dad drove a yellow pick-up truck - he worked for Dowding and Mills, Camp Hill.

My mum and Charlie Reynolds were friends. He cut his arm but would not go to the doctors. It turned really bad on him. As I remember, he may have been Pat`s grandad. As I recall, he wore one of those shirts without a collar and had a big thick black belt to hold up his trousers.

Do you remember Tony the Italian ice cream man? He taught us naughty rhymes and they have stuck with me as follows:

Ladies and gentleman take my advice
Lift up your left leg and f*rt twice.

Ladies and gents while in the hall,
Wipe your a*se on paper not on the wall!

He would probably get locked up today, I suspect , but he was harmless enough.

I have posted a photo of my dad and his truck on Dowding & Mills thread.

Once again thanks for replying.

Sincerely

Chris

like to see picture of your dad and the truck were do i find also why not post one ofyour self . i remember getting on the back and your dad would take us to school sometimes to ada rd are dowding &mills still there my dad use to work at fishers in clide street but that has gon now

best wishes marjorie

Hi Marjorie, I started a thread today "Dowding & Mills" and posted dad`s picture there. Dowding and Mills is now called Sulzer Dowding and Mills at Camp Hill. I will put a photo of me on somewhere. I am feeling my way with this site currently. Best wishes, Chris.

Hello,

Harry Hayward of The Great Western , was my great uncle and I visited the pub as a child in the early 1960s. I have pictures of the pub and some of the regulars from 1948 and 1958.

John

Dear John,

Those pictures could be really promising. Marjorie`s mum worked in the Western and I am sure that she would be very interested too. Marjorie lived in the house next door and the Western was just across the road to me, when I came out of our entry.

Thank you for taking an interest.

Chris.

Great Western with Harry Hayward 1.jpg
This photo shows my great uncle, Harry Hayward and his son, also Harry but known as 'Young Harry' by the family. Outside The Great Western, Deritend in about 1938.

The 80th Birthday party for Harry Hayward, publican of The Great Western, 1962. (c) JR Such.

Harry is on the righthand side and I would be grateful if anyone could name the other two people in this photo.
Harry Hayward 80th Birthday 1962.jpg

Hi Marjorie,

Do you recognise any of the faces in the "Western" photo`s recently added by John "Winterbrun"? Chris

hello john and welcome...what a wonderful collection of photos you have of your gt uncle and of the great western pub i love the one taken on his birthday with the cake saying to the govenor also the inside shots of the customers playing cards dominos and darts...all pastimes of the past im afraid..you are so lucky to have them...i am taking it that the pub is no longer there but will check..

lyn

Hi Lyn and John,

It is great that these photo`s are now in the public domain and recorded for posterity - snap shot in time of life of life as it was in Brum, much of the entertainment focussed around the pub. The pub is no longer there: it is a tool-hire shop.

Chris

Hi, Eric Reynolds is my name and my mum and dad Nellie and Charles lived in 1 back, 54 Allcock St, Pats mother was my sister Iris. My dad use to sell mussels and seafood on a horse and cart. I am trying to get pictures of 54 Allcock street have you any or do you know where I can get them. I have settled in Australia, married 3 daughters and 9 grandchildren. Hope to hear from you soon. Eric.

Hi, Eric Reynolds is my name and my mum and dad Nellie and Charles lived in 1 back, 54 Allcock St, Pats mother was my sister Iris. My dad use to sell mussels and seafood on a horse and cart. I am trying to get pictures of 54 Allcock street have you any or do you know where I can get them. I have settled in Australia, married 3 daughters and 9 grandchildren. Hope to hear from you soon. Eric.

Hello Eric,

We too lived at 1/54 from 1946 to 1953. . We must know each other. Pat was my mate. Mum was a friend of Charlie. I remember him.

Please get back.

Great to hear from you.

Chris.

re: allcock street, Deritend
I Eric Reynolds and my family lived in 1 backa 54 from 1920s until around 1940s can anybody send photos of the said address

My name is Eric Reynolds and Charlie Reynolds was my dad and Pat was my sister Iris's daughter have you any memories or pictures of 54 Allcock street.

My memory has faded somewhat because I am now 82 and I just wanted to know what memories people have regarding my family or even any pictures that you or anyone would have. Thanks.
great to hear from you. Eric

Eric,

Your dad had problems when his arm became poisonous as I remember. Did my mum once say that when he was 14 he went into the army as a drummer boy?

Dear Eric,
It is such a coincidence you living in a house that I did and now it is demolished with no trace of it remaining. If you check it out on Google maps, there is a factory built there now and the pub over the road is a tool hire shop. You will remember of course that the stairs were very steep and I fell down them and it knocked the wind out of me. I slept in the little room (there were only two) to the right at the top of the stairs. Was all your cooking done on the range in the ground floor left hand room or had you a gas stove in the right hand scullery where there was also a cold tap and a sink. I was always told to keep away from the drain outside. Apart from scaring me to death (it looked as if it went down to the bowels of the earth) my mother always had a fear that we would catch diptheria. Did your dad Charlie use the wash house to cook up the mussels and did he not sell them at the Waggon and Horses in Adderley Street? The house had gas lighting and when the mantle broke, I was sent up the road to the shop, corner of Liverpool Street (still a bus garage) to buy a gas mantle for the lights for a penny as I remember. Does Pat remember us? I would be pleased to hear as much as you can remember about living in the house.
Chris

Hi Lyn,
Unfortunately, I dont think they were from my end 54 but it was great to see the photos thanks
Eric

Back