• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alfred Davis where buried/gravetone

Here are the public cemeteries in the Birmingham area and the dates for which buriels are on microfilm at the Library. Hope this might help.

Brandwood End (1899 - 1975)
Handsworth (1909 - 1985)
Key Hill (1836 - 1982)
Lodge Hill (1895 - 1985)
Quinton (1936 - 1985)
Sutton Coldfield (1881 - 1984)
Warstone Lane (1848 - 1982)
Witton (1863 - 1984)
Yardley (1883 - 1984)

With a burial in 1907 you can discount Handsworth & Quinton. With my own relatives, mainly in Aston, they have been buried in Witton and Lodge Hill around that time.

Maurice

thanks maurice...not sure which ones keith has already tried but as said i have checked warstone lane and key hill with no luck there..

lyn

thanks maurice...not sure which ones keith has already tried but as said i have checked warstone lane and key hill with no luck there..

lyn

Hi Lyn/All, thank you. Most of tthose have been checked, except Quinton, Sutton and Yardley. Someone from the council is double checking all The Birmingham Cemetries for me. Im not 100% the others were checked as it was by someone else. So probably take a couple of days. I will keep you posted and if he is not there, I dont know. I have been amazed by the help and support on here and the way you all rally round and communicate. I did read cremations in Brum started in 1930? So he must be somewhere. Nearly as bad as my Gt Gt Grandfather, found his grave etc but not his place of birth. He gave four different places of birth on each census 1841, 51, 61 & 71. He did die in The Royal Oak in Evesham, son in attendance. Later discovered he was the land lord and Blacksmith. The pub is still doing well. Alfred the barber is still to be found. Thank you, Keith.

a little more info

1905 Kelly’s Birmingham lists Alfred Davis hairdressers at, 161 New Town Row, 216 Wheeler Street & 147 Great Lister Street, Saltley - and Alfred George Davis, hairdresser, (who I presume is your Alfred’s eldest son from his first marriage to Emma) at 90 Adderley Street.
1908 Kelly’s his son Alfred George Davis hairdresser’s address is still 90 Adderley Street, the same as 1911 census.

was there not a crem, or burial site over in a place called little bromwich i think the other side of brum in the early 1900.S
then they stopped it what about he church yard up on Adderly street its an acient church yard

a little more info

1905 Kelly’s Birmingham lists Alfred Davis hairdressers at, 161 New Town Row, 216 Wheeler Street & 147 Great Lister Street, Saltley - and Alfred George Davis, hairdresser, (who I presume is your Alfred’s eldest son from his first marriage to Emma) at 90 Adderley Street.
1908 Kelly’s his son Alfred George Davis hairdresser’s address is still 90 Adderley Street, the same as 1911 census.

hi bewdley i just need a map to confirm where no 161 newtown row was...if i am right i have a photo of it for keith...will get back asap

lyn

a little more info

Wow, what a find. Thank you Bewdley. I knew about the one at New Town Row. Had no idea at all about the others. Yes his son was Alfred George by Emma. Amazed, maybe he had some money, will/probate, no idea there. Never heard of Kellys, you guys are so helpful and so much info. Will have a look at Kellys, do you have to subscribe Bewdley? Brilliant, thank you so much, Keith.

Lyn

Didn't Mike already put a map showing No 147 Newtown Row on here the other day. 161 would be 6 premises further up the other side of Miller Street and opposite Theodore Street.

There is a baptism of an Alfred George son of Alfred and Emma at St Luke's - dob given as 3rd June 1869 and baptism as 27th June. At that time Alfred senior's occupation was "labourer". Address was Spring Street.

Janice

The 1905 entry which lists Alfred at 147 Great Lister Street as a hairdresser also lists Alfred as a tobacconists at the same address. Perhaps he did both.

Janice

Lyn

Didn't Mike already put a map showing No 147 Newtown Row on here the other day. 161 would be 6 premises further up the other side of Miller Street and opposite Theodore Street.

yes phil thats correct i was just checking that the numbering went up in twos not ones so that i could be sure i had a photo of alfreds shop at no 161 for keith which i do so i will post it shortly

hi keith here is a map showing where alfreds shop was at no 161 newtown row....i also have a photo of it will post it on the next post for you

lyn

Attachments

• map c 1950 showing 161 newtoiwn row.jpg
    map c 1950 showing 161 newtoiwn row.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
here you go keith...if you click on the map and image they will enlarge...the cafe on the corner is no 151 so if you count 5 shops down i think alfreds shop is the darker fronted one that looks like it has 2 white posts outside....dated around 1964 so long after he had gone...i must have walked past these shops hundreds of times and they were still standing into the 1980s we may not have found where he is buried yet but we are finding out about the shops he and his son had

Attachments

• Newtown row at miller st 3.jpg
    Newtown row at miller st 3.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hi All, sorry still new to this. I have only just found out how to say thanks! So much help and info in such a short time. Amazing theres a map and a pic of his shop. I knew he must have had a shop, now its there. My died passed away when I was 17, he never told me much. His dad died when he was 5 and my dads sister died 4 yrs ago. Never gave it a thought to ask about the past or any photos at that age. I started nearly 3 yrs ago with just a marriage cert, amazing. Well at least I can give you all a thank you now. I just wonder about wills and probate if he had businesses. Thanks so much for maps pic and all your help. My mom was lucky all her side Maddocks was totally researched and was put on Ancestry in the end! Alfreds brother William Edwin was land lord of royal oak at Evesham he left his wife over 500 pounds in late 1800s. Could track her down easy, Mary Collins Davis who moved to London but was buried back down at Evesham with her hubby. She left nearly a 1000, her old house is now worth nearly 2 million. Just over the moon with all your help. Alfreds somewhere lol. Thanks, Keith. P.S. my daughter calls them hairdressers lol.

Just Read your brilliant info Alan. Amazing knowledge and memory, thank you. So many posts and help, and I didnt know that I had to log in everytime and there were more replies. Also just found out how to say thanks. I was from Kingshurst originally and the next door neighbour who has now passed away had so much info on Summer Lane and around Brum. She used to be on The Les Ross show giving info and talks until I think they fell out. I have always wanted to do research. Only until ,an old school teacher when I was at Coleshill got in touch and got me going. You guys just blow me away, I thought I had learnt a fair bit. Nothing to all of you, and so helpful. I must say I did get some1 suggest I come on here from My Genealogist. What great advice and they did say I was going down the wrong route about 18 months ago. A birth cert dated 1842 proved where I was going in the end. Some people are so patient and kind. Thanks, Keith.

Occasionally Ancestry and Find my Past have special offers where they give free access to their records over a few days. Someone usually posts a message on this site............so keep an eye out - it's surprising what you can find in a weekend. Read the terms and conditions though!

It really is a small world – some of my maternal ancestors also hail from Evesham and my great grandmother, Fanny Hill, yeah that’s right, was born in Bewdley Street, Evesham in 1855.

In 1881 her brother Joseph Hill was living at 52 Bewdley Street with his wife Caroline, nee Grinnell and their family and your Alfred’s brother Wilson Davis was his neighbour living at 61 Bewdley Street with his wife and family.

Fanny married Alfred Green at St Lawrence’s, Evesham in 1873 and was living at 2 back of 36 Lawden Road, Birmingham by 1881 census and your Alfred wife Emma, Alfred George and William E at 53 Bishops Street South, Birmingham in 1881.

My mum says that the story she was told was that they and many others had walked into Birmingham (I presume my gt grandfather had a job to go to or would look for work) with their children in a pram and belongings on a handcart; personally I wished they’d stayed in Evesham.

Just a coincidence that I chose bewdley as my name on this site it has nothing to do with my ancestors having lived in Bewdley Street, Evesham. Bewdley is a place I lived and worked in for many years before my retirement – it must be in my blood this need to be out in the countryside and close to a river - I'm really not a happy bunny in a city!

Good luck with your research I hope you'll find him soon - I'll try and pop into Worcester library when I visit my daughter and will look for Alfred's burial in the Evesham records they hold there.

Hi Lyn it has been a while, have not forgot you all. Moved to Derbyshire after a stressful period. Did not know how to post this so contacted you. Went to to Yardley Cem today finally got there. Had already contacted them some while back. Was told what you had discovered. Alfred Davis my Grandfather and his first wife Emma were buried there. The gentleman searched whilst I was on the phone. Informed me that Emma was in a Common Grave and Alfred in a grave with headstone. Arrived today, an hours journey and went to reception. Was then informed that both were buried in common graves. Phew, was a bit down with nowhere to really pay respects. Was given a map, which I can send if you wish, just to say they were buried there. Just annoyed to be given 2 lots of info. Good job I had not traveled half the country to see nothing. Do they get things wrong like this much? Anyway at least with all your hard work I got to find where Alfred was laid to rest. Was surprised, as you know he had three shops. Would be grateful if you can post this or pass on to all those that helped. Hope you are keeping well? I might have a new mystery for you now. Knowing that my grandfather died in 1929 aged 29 on new years eve. He was knocked down by a lorry at Minworth. So he must be somewhere in Brum. Kindest regards, Keith.

Bewdley, hope you are well? Can you please contact me, not sure how to contact folk individually? Still cannot get my head round the fantastic history you provided with me. An amazing story, I have it printed out and show family and friends. I havnt been on for a while, have moved to South Derbyshire and still at present with our daughter. Hoping to move by the end of April, seem a friendly bunch over here, just getting used to being called me duck. I always assumed you where from Bewdley and the link wasnt with Bewdley St, Evesham. Maybe you can help or point me in the right direction. Is there anyone you know who has a good knowledge of Evesham around our ancestors time? I did find someone but I cannot afford her fees. Also what would have been the local newspaper around the 1870s?

Back