• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Airbus A380 to visit Elmdon/ BHX

Royston

knowlegable brummie
It now looks pretty definate that the AIRBUS A380 will visit to celebrate the official opening of the new extension at Birmingham International Airport.
Emirates who will be one of the main users of the new piers will use an A380 for their scheduled mid day service when the extended terminal officially opens ("officially" because its already in use to iron the bugs out)

Wednesday 9th September

Due approx 12.35 with a departure time of 15.05

Happy spotting R0Y

It now looks pretty definate that the AIRBUS A380 will visit to celebrate the official opening of the new extension at Birmingham International Airport.
Emirates who will be one of the main users of the new piers will use an A380 for their scheduled mid day service when the extended terminal officially opens ("officially" because its already in use to iron the bugs out)

Wednesday 9th September

Due approx 12.35 with a departure time of 15.05

Happy spotting R0Y

Thanks for the info Roy. I'll be looking out for that:)

You wait ages for an Airbus A380 then two come along !!!!

Yes another A380 due next Saturday 5th Sept around 15.40 hr (3.40 pm )

The manufacturer is sending the prototype c/n 001 reg F-WWOW on an aerial tour of Britain and on the return leg from Scotland will hopefully make a flypast and go-round
at Birmingham International Airport before returning to the factory in France.

Thanks to BHX Photoblog web site
A site with top quality pictures of interesting visiting aircraft to BHX and other Midland airports plus news and other snippets.
https://bhx.flightguide.blogspot.com

R0Y

Flippin Typical, I will be down south for that period ( but not as far south as Toulouse) on holiday. Oh well I will catch one another day.

My niehbour is a dedicated plane watcher, he said he will listen in to find out wich way the plane will come in. I said i will take him to the best vantage point, if its not to late i will post the direction on here for all the locals.

I was an aircraft valeter (posh name for cleaner) a couple of summers ago at Brum and its amazing the variety of aircraft that does come in. We had an Arab Prince's personal jet complete with gold leaf on the perimiter as well as the England Football team's plane that came in for positioning (ie being put where it was next going to be used). Sadly the flights from Iraq and Afghanistan with injured service personnel were all to frequent usually in the early hours of the morning

That will depend on the prevailing wind direction and strength on the day, that dicatates which runway is nominated for landings.

Be aware if the wind does change direction during the day of operations
the airport authority are also likely to adjust the landing pattern accordingly.

With the French demonstrator just doing a flypast rather than a landing
it could approach from either North or South depending on other traffic
in the locality.

cheers
Neville...

Hi there, I live in Derby where most of the areo engines are made and they
very often fly the new aircraft over the Rolls Royce factory for the workers
to see them in action, the Airbus has been over several times already,
bye Bernard :cool: ps. Strange that the RB211 nearly finished them off.

Hi there, I live in Derby where most of the areo engines are made and they
very often fly the new aircraft over the Rolls Royce factory for the workers
to see them in action, the Airbus has been over several times already,
bye Bernard :cool: ps. Strange that the RB211 nearly finished them off.

Hi all

Just a reminder to all interested that the A380 AirBus is due
to overfly Birmingham Airport this afternoon at 3.40PM.

Kind regards

Dave

Hi all

Just a reminder to all interested that the A380 AirBus is due
to overfly Birmingham Airport this afternoon at 3.40PM.

Kind regards

Dave
its doing a fly go which is an approched landing but not touching down. it will power up again and perform a fly go

At this time 1.00pm, the Runway in use is 33 (north facing) and wind direction is from 260 degrees, clouds levels are between 2400/3000ft. If these conditions continue, aircraft coming from the north usually fly to a point in the sky called 'CHASE' which is actually over Aldridge. From there they are usually asked to head 160 to 180 degrees over Brum and when south of BHX turn to 060 degrees to join the approach to RWY 33. If the wind direction alters more to come from the south, or if there is not much traffic coming from the south, the A380 could join the approach to RWY 15 (south facing) and come in over Sutton Park, Erdington etc.
Who's going to be first to post a photo?:D

Slight timing revision now 15.45, after performing the go around the aircraft will set course for Filton for landing.

hi

Parked up at Solihull Music School arrived around 3-55pm.
Amazing sight.
We were there on Tuesday night and saw the Military flight out to Afghanistan around 5-00pm. (RAF C-17 Globemaster)
It usually back around 1-2am.
Its a terrible sight but it saves hundreds of lives each day.
Strange how a C-17 is in somway similar to a A380 both
having those huge 4 Engines.

Mike Jenks

Hi, Mike,
Where's the photo then just to prove to us deprived people in the north that it did come !
oldmohawk:)

Came across Chelmsley just before 4pm and disappeared into the clouds as it banked towards the West. Quite a sight.

I missed it too, but thanks to youtube...(it's the second plane you see)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlvLahE9UVA"]YouTube - Airbus A380 doing a flyby at bhx[/ame]

Thanks Mike and Lloyd.
When I was still working we supplied aluminium plate for the spars for Airbus wings. They were made in Germany at our plant and shipped to GKN in Telford for machining before going on eventually to BAE in Chester where they assembled the wings. We were just quoting for the A380 parts when I left.:(

Came across Chelmsley just before 4pm and disappeared into the clouds as it banked towards the West. Quite a sight.

Hi Alberta

Had a great view of it as it was banking, from my allotment at Coleshill, but then lost in the cloud, - a majestic sight.
My wife was at home at Smith's Wood, and she said it flew over very low
and all detail was visible.
Can anyone clarify why the term BHX is used for Birmingham Airport, I know its medium frequency beacon signs BHX in morse, but is it just
an abbreviation otherwise?

Kind regards

Dave

Can anyone clarify why the term BHX is used for Birmingham Airport, I know its medium frequency beacon signs BHX in morse, but is it just
an abbreviation otherwise?

Kind regards
Dave

All airports are coded by three letters, https://www.world-airport-codes.com/ gives them all.
https://www.world-airport-codes.com/alphabetical/city-name/b.html or https://www.world-airport-codes.com/alphabetical/airport-code/b.html covers ours. As you will see;
BHM is Birmingham, Alabama, USA
BHX is Birmingham UK, etc, etc.

Hi

Yes Lloyd had a spot of bother with this one
as I'm more into Railway's than Planes.
Strange how BHM is the code for BH Alabama Airport
and Birmingham New Street Rail station is also BHM.
Wonder what odds the bookie might give for
that one.

Mike Jenks

Some airport codes are fairly obvious, eg LHR (London Heathrow) and others are pretty obscure, eg YYZ (Toronto).

The airline industry has codes for everything just take a look at an
airline timetable for example.

Had a chat with Ray our neighbour who kindly let me put all those old aircraft photo's on a while back and he told me to look out for the plane on Wednesday as if it takes this flight path it will be going right over our houses. He has one of those groud to air radios and I love to listen to it when he is on it. He is going to check first thing Wednesday morning and let me know when it is due to fly over. It all depends on the weather and cloud as to exactly which rout it will take. Sorry I only know that they take off fly and land [all being well]. Will try to get some photo's of it. Jean.

Back