• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

AFFRON family Birmingham

• Thread starter Thread starter Maria1
  • Start date Start date
M

Maria1

I have recently started tracing my husbands family tree - does anyone know anything about any members of the AFFRON family or have any photographs, at the moment l only have limited information to a few generations and no photos unfortunately. Thank you. Maria

There are a few Affrons in the electoral roll - and first names and dates you want help with?

in 1911 there are three affron families in birmingham.

william 66, ann 65 and florence 20 all living 2 park ave. icknield port rd.

william 43, emily 40, rosina 16, ethel 13, emily 7 and charles 10 mths. at 6 railway terrace, icknield port rd.

thomas 31, florence 31, william 11, winnifred 9, florence 7, iris 4 and eadeth 3 at 62 norman st. bham

there are also 4 public member trees on ancestry for affrons in bham.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply's - l have checked the Cenus back to 1841 and checked ancestry.com - 1841 takes me to London, William AFFREN but unfortuanetyly that is not where William was from and it does not give his place/country of birth so l have drawn a blank. So l do not know what parish registers to check. What l would like to do is put some meat on the bones so to speak and hopefully there will be someone out there who will have married into the Affron family and maybe have photographs or details of burials etc. to help me on my way.

Thanks for your reply's - l have checked the Cenus back to 1841 and checked ancestry.com - 1841 takes me to London, William AFFREN but unfortuanetyly that is not where William was from and it does not give his place/country of birth so l have drawn a blank. So l do not know what parish registers to check. What l would like to do is put some meat on the bones so to speak and hopefully there will be someone out there who will have married into the Affron family and maybe have photographs or details of burials etc. to help me on my way.
Hi there,
Copying and pasting from Shera's post:
"thomas 31, florence 31, william 11, winnifred 9, florence 7, iris 4 and eadeth 3 at 62 norman st. bham"

The William in the above family served in WW1 with my granduncle, in the same regiment. They were both killed in France in 1918 (my granduncle in April, aged 34; William in October, aged 18). William's father Thomas also served, but survived, and died in 1927, aged 47. The reason I know this is because my granduncle - in 1914 when he joined up - made a Will in which he left everything to William's mother, Florence (nee Yapp). I have no idea what the connection was between the two of them; your guess is as good as mine. When he was killed in action his money was indeed paid out to her, although his actual pension was paid, for her lifetime, to his mother (my gt grandma), who was legally single and listed as his dependant.

I hope this is useful; it's certainly fascinating!

I can only find 2 Affron or Affren in Military records they are William R and his father Thomas Henry, William R is buried in France parents listed as Thomas and Florence 30 Peel street Winson Green.
William who was born in London 1844 died Birmingham in 1918 and was the father of Thomas Henry , and grandfather of William Reuben.

Could be wrong but I don't think Deborah's grand uncle was an Affron, just that he served with William Affron.

Alberta, yes indeed we are talking about the same family: those three whose military records you found were the same father and son pair that I mentioned, and the grandfather too. MWS, you are right as well - it is not my own family, but someone my granduncle was close to. I wish I knew what the connection was. Perhaps my granduncle was William's real father... or the father of Florence Affron's first child, who was born "too soon" after she married Thomas, but died as a toddler. But that assumes certain things about real people, who aren't alive to defend themselves, in a time when these things were regarded very seriously! Until a couple of weeks ago I didn't even know about the existence of my granduncle, so it was a huge revelation to find not only him but also his mysterious connection to this other family. I wish the original enquirer (Maria1) was still around, but her post was 11 years ago and I doubt if she's still reading this thread!

Thank you, I will: My granduncle was Alfred Tench, born in 1884 to Jane Tench, seamstress to the famous Mander family of Wolverhampton. I don't know who his father was. Jane had 5 illegitimate children, and only one of them (my grandmother, the youngest) had a known father (Frederick Price, agricultural labourer, sometimes known as Edward). The 1891 census shows Alfred living at the South East Shropshire District School at Quatt, near Bridgnorth, with his older (half?) brother William; it was a kind of pauper institution. For a while, and in the 1898 census, Alfred and most of his siblings and their Mum Jane went by the name of Price after they moved in with Frederick at 59 Pale Street, Upper Gornal; but Alfred had dropped that name and gone back to Tench by the time he joined the Army in 1914. That's when he made his Will, leaving everything to Florence Affron. (Just prior to joining up, he had been working at the nearby sandstone quarry.) He served in the same regiment as Florence's son William Reuben, and they both died in 1918, although Alfred died several months before William. When they died, Alfred was 30 and William 18.
That's all I know about Alfred Tench, and I know absolutely nothing about how he knew the Affrons!

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Can't find any family connection between the families, the further you go back the further apart (geographically) they seem to get.

Maybe Alfred came home with William on leave one time and, without intending to besmirch Frances, took a liking to her, An intriguing mystery as Alberta says.

Thank you so much for your input, guys! Yes it's a mystery, and quite frustrating that we've now lost touch with the visitor to this site who was making the enquiries initially. Maybe she could have thrown some light on this (or maybe not, of course...) But it's these mysteries that make family research so much fun, isn't it! When I started out, I just wanted to trace as far back as I could; but now I'm delving into the lives of my ancestors' wider families and enjoying seeing how the individual personal stories didn't exist in a vacuum but slotted into the bigger picture of local social history.
Thanks again x

Back