• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

advise needed please..

ok maurice.....once again thanks for all your help..i will start some ernest digging tomorrow....

cheers..

lyn:)

Lloyd...thank you so much....so he was in france...when you say this is the real medal card what was the other one you posted...am i to ignore that now.... and can you tell me did he receive
medals too...

thank you once again..this will mean a lot to our mom....

lyn...:):)

Lloyd...thank you so much....so he was in france...when you say this is the real medal card what was the other one you posted...am i to ignore that now.... and can you tell me did he receive
medals too...

thank you once again..this will mean a lot to our mom....

lyn...:):)

The other one was the only 'full' name (Albert Ernest Wood) card I could find listed, but his number links him to the one I posted second, one of several 'Albert E Wood' cards.
It shows he landed in France on 25th July 1915 (94 years ago today) and was awarded :
1914 - 1915 Star This star was issued to all (approximately 2,336,000) who saw service in any theatre of conflict against the central powers between 05 August 1914 and 31 December 1915 , except for those who were eligible for the 1914 Star.
British War Medal The British War Medal 1914 - 1920 was awarded to all forces of the British Empire and was issued to anyone who had served in uniform or who had been employed in an "authorised" service.
Victory Medal This is a yellow bronze medal, which is also known as the Allied Victory Medal. This is because the Allied nations decided to issue a standardised medal and ribbon, so as to avoid the mass exchange of medals.

Lloyd..what a coninsidence that you posted me all this info on the very dad that grandad landed in france...so it seems mom was correct with the story that he was involved with the horse drawn guns and survived two gas attacks in the trenches....as far as know there are no surviving papers or medals but i shall speak to my cousin who is the only one who may have something....its very doubtful though...i am now going to look further into ww1 and find out all i can..i did quickly read last night of the terrible conditions for both the men and the poor horses...it must have been horrendous...i wonder if thats where the saying...dont spare the horses comes from....mom is 80 now and up until now didnt really have any concrete info about her dad who died when mom was only 9...cant thank you and everyone else enough....

lyn:):):)

"Home, James, and don't spare the horses - the night has been ruined for me" was from a 1930s song, and may have been its title, but I don't know any more of it. Perhaps someone might remember it?

The conditions in the trenches was very bad, worse I think than any of us could imagine. Many of those who survived would never talk of what they had seen and endured, and the appaling treatment of humankind (by both sides-the French were the first to use gas, against the Germans) led to the signing of the Geneva Protocol (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Protocol) banning chemical warfare in 1925.

The British War Medal 1914 - 1920 was awarded to all forces of the British Empire and was issued to anyone who had served in uniform or who had been employed in an "authorised" service.

To be strictly accurate, they had to have left their native shore. If a man served only in UK, he did not qualify.

The Victory medal was only given to those who had entered a theatre of war.

In other words, if you went to France at any time, you got both. If you, for example, went to India, you got only the BWM.

Back