• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Adelaide Della James

Trumpy71

proper brummie kid
My Grandmother Adelaide James was born around the Handsworth area in 1908, had four sons the first two Fred and Ron to an unknown man. Seeking Information if Any, she married Les White and had two more sons Les and Dennis, lived in Hockley until moving to Aston and eventually to Bendall Rd Kingstanding.

what sort of information are you searching for...there is a baptism for one born 12th august 1907 parents fred and lily james living on villa road..occupation of fred is pen maker

lyn

Last edited:
what sort of information are you searching for...there is a baptism for one born 12th august 1907 parents fred and lily james living on villa road..occupation of fred is pen maker

lyn
Hi Lyn, yes I know all about her family I have traced mine back to the 1400's on both sides. No information at all about her first Husband/partner and father to Ron and Fred. Nobody in the family knows anything

Hi Lyn, yes I know all about her family I have traced mine back to the 1400's on both sides. No information at all about her first Husband/partner and father to Ron and Fred. Nobody in the family knows anything
hi trumpy so its a mystery then but are you sure adelaide did not marry before marrying les white...without a fathers name for ron and fred its not going to be easy...even if you have their birth certs no doubt they could say father not known...obviously she named her son fred after her dad fred...even if fred and ron married their fathers name would also be blank unless of course adelaide told them the name of their dad its a long shot but do you have ron and freds birth certs or their marriage certs..if not it could be worth a punt ordering one or two of them

also i cant find a marriage at the min for adelaide james to a les white..do you know what year they married and also the years born for all of her 4 children..

lyn

Last edited:
If I have the correct records then the births of Ron(ald) and Fred (Alfred) seem to be registered as James with mmn James. However, if I have the right record (dob 12 Aug 1906 - a year out) on the 1939 reg she is down as Adelaide D Smith (widow) - crossed out and changed to White. She seems to be living with Leslie Whte. However, there is one blanked out entry but if Les and Dennis were born before then I would have expected more blanked entries.

Last edited:
Like you Lyn I have searched extensive records and can find no record of her marriage to anyone.
There is a tree on ancestry with no marriage dates but gives her birthdate and 12th Aug 1907
John Ronald James 1927
Frederick smith 1928 and their father Joseph Moses ?????

then spouse Leslie White but no dates given. her death in 1988 gives her name as White.

Alberta - I saw that tree but there is no evidence with it. Not sure if I have the right person on the 1939 reg as dob is a year out.
1677941761228.png

1930 eroll 19 Grasmere Road
1677942164517.png
1935 and 1939 erolls Bridge Street West which fits the reg record I found.
1677942241994.png

Like you Lyn I have searched extensive records and can find no record of her marriage to anyone.
There is a tree on ancestry with no marriage dates but gives her birthdate and 12th Aug 1907
John Ronald James 1927
Frederick smith 1928 and their father Joseph Moses ?????

then spouse Leslie White but no dates given. her death in 1988 gives her name as White.
thanks alberta....without concrete evidence then we cant be certain of anything really...thanks jan i also found her on the 39 at bridge st west living with leslie white but again i cant find any marriage records for adelaide...

lyn

By the 1945 eroll she is listed as Adelaide Della White although the house is listed as 7 back of 14 I think it is the same property. No sign of Leslie - did he enlist?

i have checked again for a marriage for adelaide and i just cant find any under the name of james or smith...by no means certain but it is looking as though adelaide never married...well not under those surnames and not in birmingham :rolleyes: will look again later..maybe cast the net a bit further

lyn

Thanks to you all for your efforts, Ron took the surname James as he was raised by his grand parents. Fred took the surname Smith and we assume this is his father's surname. Nothing on either birth certificate, my Gran was a character and may not have been married. Unfortunately all of her siblings are deceased and none of her sons ever showed much interest in their parentage.

What are the dob of Ron and Fred?
Interesting she called herself Smith on the 1939 register.
If you have their birth certs what address does Adelaide give,?
Sorry for all the questions but the more info the easier it is to help.

What are the dob of Ron and Fred?
Interesting she called herself Smith on the 1939 register.
If you have their birth certs what address does Adelaide give,?
Sorry for all the questions but the more info the easier it is to help.
Thanks I'll get the info, she was married to Les White in 39 as my father would have been 5 years old

Janice your post No. 8 is correct she was the daughter of Frederick James and Lily Pratt(married 1899) and they and Adelaide are living at Grasmere road, Handsworth in 1911

Janice your post No. 8 is correct she was the daughter of Frederick James and Lily Pratt(married 1899) and they and Adelaide are living at Grasmere road, Handsworth in 1911
Thanks Alberta. That means the online tree has definite errors.

Last edited:
hi trumpy so its a mystery then but are you sure adelaide did not marry before marrying les white...without a fathers name for ron and fred its not going to be easy...even if you have their birth certs no doubt they could say father not known...obviously she named her son fred after her dad fred...even if fred and ron married their fathers name would also be blank unless of course adelaide told them the name of their dad its a long shot but do you have ron and freds birth certs or their marriage certs..if not it could be worth a punt ordering one or two of them

also i cant find a marriage at the min for adelaide james to a les white..do you know what year they married and also the years born for all of her 4 children..

lyn
Hi Lyn, been off line for a while. Nobody knows if she was married before Les White, she was a bit of a character and and none of her children ever asked questions hence the mystery. The strory from my mom is that Della told her she married a gypsy and that's it unfortunately

Ian.

Just found baptism record of John Donald James obvious error as he was registered Ronald,
born 5th may 1927 baptised 25th May 1927, mother Adelaide Della James no father listed., address 19 Grasmere Drive , Handsworth.

Just found baptism record of John Donald James obvious error as he was registered Ronald,
born 5th may 1927 baptised 25th May 1927, mother Adelaide Della James no father listed., address 19 Grasmere Drive , Handsworth.
Thank You, his daughter is still alive and she has tried but any information may help solve the puzzle.

Adelaide called herself "Smith" on 1939 reg and this was later changed to White. Such a name change usually implies a marriage but I don't know who informed the powers that be of marriages or if they checked.
Leslie White's first wife was a May Smith. They married in 1921 and she is with him on several erolls. The address is where he is with Adelaide on 1939 reg.

Adelaide called herself "Smith" on 1939 reg and this was later changed to White. Such a name change usually implies a marriage but I don't know who informed the powers that be of marriages or if they checked.
Leslie White's first wife was a May Smith. They married in 1921 and she is with him on several erolls. The address is where he is with Adelaide on 1939 reg.
The mystery deepens

Back