• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Adam and Eve - Bradford Street Bordesley

• Thread starter www.midlandspubs.co.uk
  • Start date
W

www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Hooray! Here's a pub that is still going. However, I am guilty of not visiting for a pint myself for some time. By the time I have been in the street's Anchor and White Swan I have generally had enough to drink.

Adam and Eve - Bradford Street Bordesley [pic attached]

Though rebuilt early in the 20th century, there has been an Adam and Eve public house on the corner of Bradford Street and Warner Street for more than 200 years. The Adam and Eve was built in Over Meadow, a pocket of land on the Ravenhurst Estate owned by John Lowe. The earliest recorded licensee of The Adam and Eve is John Robbinson who was the landlord in 1797. He chose the sign of Adam and Eve. Today, this is a fairly rare pub name though it does have a relationship with drinking houses because the original sinners were incorporated into the coat-of-arms of the Worshipful Company of Fruiterers. Receiving its first Charter in 1605, the Company inspected all fruit and assessed any duty to be paid. Former clerk and machinist Edwin Arnett took over the licence of the Adam and Eve in 1871. He and his wife Caroline were the longest serving hosts. The Langley-based Showell's brewery acquired the lease in the late 19th century. They were taken over by Samuel Allsopp and Sons Ltd. who opted to modify and extend the Adam and Eve in 1921. Further alterations were carried out in 1928 and the image above captures the building shortly after completion. The pub was badly damaged during the war but was renovated. In 1990 Michael O'Neill of O'Neill's Alehouse in Curzon Street bought the freehold of the Adam and Eve and, along with his brother Peter, the fortunes of the pub soared and it developed a reputation as a live music venue.

Cheers
Kieron www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Attachments

• Camp Hill  Adam & Eve Bradford St .jpg
    Camp Hill Adam & Eve Bradford St .jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 6
Pubs in this area are starting to suffer from complaints from the locals. The area is beginning to be redeveloped and a lot of the old factories are now becoming residential apartments. As a result the pubs are starting to get complaints of noise! Hope they survive

Hello

My husband's mother and her family used to live next doo to the Adam and Eve in the1930's.

Not strictly to do with the pub but I thought I would share that piece if information with you anyway

Maureenx

Hi Maureen
Thanks for your post. I presume therefore that they kept the little shop that was right next door to the pub. Sweets, fags and newspapers and that sort of stuff.
Kind regards
Kieron

Good morning Kieron

I do not think it was the shop. I am sure there is a photograph somewhere of one of the family standing outside the house.

My husbands mother's sister Olga Brenni did an article some time ago for Carl Chinn. We had a copy of this article but seem to have lost it. I am sure the photograph was in that, but icould be having another senior moment.

Me thinks an investigation is called for

Maureenx

Hello again

Just had a word with Hubby and his grandparents lived at 199 Bradford Street.

Maureenx

I used to go to see King Pleasure and the Biscuit Boys there who were regulars. Also, Carole used to run The Works restaurant next door or next door but one to the Adam and Eve. Had some great evenings there too.

MJS
199 was the other side of george fields shop to the adam and eve(no 201), so you were one house out
mike

I had my 18th birthday party in the upstairs room of the Adam and Eve Pub in 1972 and in 1975 had the same room for our Wedding Reception. My cousin had his stag night there on the night of the Birmingham pub bombings and as the hen night was in town that night we all ended up back at the Adam and Eve and had a joint stag and hen night.

Jeannnette Parker - my mother -'Jan' was the licensee early 70's. Shamrock club used to use the club room on a Sat night and a good night was had by all! Also used as open house to Bradford St nick on the night of the bombings as their canteen facilities had closed down. Very traumatic time....young policemen saw sights that they would carry for the rest of their life. One of the nearby factories made coffins!
Michelle

hi
an old friend of mine used to own the adam and eve
along with the rose tavern, at the same time
he had managers running them for him
tommy used to run the rose tavern way back in the eighty,s
with is wife bridget
when toms celler man had a big win at bingo on the big link up
at the local bingo hall
he and tommy bought the emily ams , and after a while
bridgie went and bought another pub in stourbridge
tom sold the emily to the courtney family