• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

68 Long Acre, Nechells Ann Pinson, midwife

Thank you, Mike. So it was considered worthy of comment that the finder was in liquor? Rather outside the case, I would have thought.

Ahhh - bless you for the info. Mike. Absolutely fascinating stuff!!!

I thought the 'liquor' details were fantastic!!! Laugh, laugh!!! Imagine speaking with such candour these days, eh? Laugh!!

All the best.

I've just found this thread - how fascinating!
One thing that occurs to me is that all 11 babies may not have been natural births, as 'midwives' sometimes also provided an abortion service. We forget that, in those hard times, another mouth to feed was not always welcome and abortions were carried out a lot more often than we'd like to think, some quite late in the day.

I've just found this thread - how fascinating!
One thing that occurs to me is that all 11 babies may not have been natural births, as 'midwives' sometimes also provided an abortion service. We forget that, in those hard times, another mouth to feed was not always welcome and abortions were carried out a lot more often than we'd like to think, some quite late in the day.

It does make you wonder how frequently this sort of thing went on..... abortion or peculiar burial rites surrounding (relatively) innocent still-birth, etc, for that matter. As for dates for the former, I saw a documentary mention on the following a brief while ago..... It makes grim reading matter: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10384460 (Hope the link will be excused by admin, but I'm not sure what links aren't allowed, etc?)

All the best,

Nick

ANN PINSON LONG ACRE 1878 002.JPGbit of a time line on this case folks...im doing a bit of research on long acre and nechells in general as my sister has lived in nechells park road and now long acre for over 30 years now and is interested in the history of it..anyhow if it was concealed buriels or abortions or maybe a bit of both this woman was performing reading one of these snippets the judge didnt think much of her..fascinating reading though and i would think quite typcical of the times...

lyn

dated 20th july 1878

Last edited:
I think this was not uncommon Lyn. There is a fascinating article in the November newsletter of The Friends Of Key Hill and Warstone Lane, about a lady undertaker a Mrs Knowles who had several babies bodies in the cellar of her house in Newtown Row.

totally agree wend once we study social history we do begin to understand a lot more of how life was..would love to read that article if you have it to scan and post...

thanks wend..

I find this quite sad - while I know as a midwife she should have promoted life and care, no-one knows what state the mothers of the babes concerned was in, to not want/be able to bring up her child must have been dreadful for her, so was Ann Pinson trying to help her state of mind by getting rid of her baby? It could have been an aborted baby, again, did she qualify her actions by acting to preserve the mothers sanity and life, it was a sin to become with child if the father was not round, yet "ladies of the night" were also common too, to get a little money for food etc,and found themselves pregnant.
I suppose the true reasons will never be known, but I like to think she was acting out of empathy for the mothers, maybe I am just too soft lol!
Sue

1878..no birth control..bad housing..single and married women getting pregnant year after year..ladies of the night getting pregant..never enough food to go around as familys became larger and larger by the year...by todays standards awful but thats how it was and when we come to think about it some 70 to 80 years later in the 1950s and 60s back street abortions were rife so what chance did they have in 1878....but as i always say thats history...

lyn

Last edited:
Oh, definitely echo Astoness re. the article about the bodies in the cellar of the house in Newtown Row!! Great to see interest in this thread has continued, by the way!

Regards,

Nick

The coroners report on the Newtown Row babies is in B´ham Archives.
I saw it when I was doing my final dissertation for my cert HE in Local History several years ago.

just happened across this thread, my ancestors also lived on that street, hence the interest, thanks for sharing im definatley going to look more into this.

Back