• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

3RD CAR PARK TO BE DEMOLISHED

I am one who personally is all for people being encouraged to use public transport into the city, but to describe the monlithic boxes , probably "designed" in an off-moment on a scrap of paper as "Finally, the 46-storey development will be a hugely positive addition to the city's skyline. Birmingham is seeing more and more high-rise developments which will greatly add to the city's status as a modern and innovative city." stretches credability

another car park is to go....

They should provided underground or areas below living space for a set % of parking as a part of the construction permit! To Mikes point the use of public transport is very useful but cars are going to be with us regardless for a long time and tearing down parking will just exacerbate the traffic and surrounding area!

The council is determined to do everything that it possibly can to dissuade people from using their car to get into and out of the city. Constant long term road works over recent years, have already pretty much done the trick for me.

The council is determined to do everything that it possibly can to dissuade people from using their car to get into and out of the city. Constant long term road works over recent years, have already pretty much done the trick for me.
john i have to agree with you...i have been saying for a long time now how the council are slowly but surely forgetting the needs of the elderly and disabled people..now they seem to be demolishing a lot of car parks but will they replace them?...many people who cant walk far to bus stops or stand on train platforms for long periods of time and struggle with wheelchairs or walking frames have to use their cars and park in the nearest car park to their destination...the lack of car parks coupled with all the diversions due to building works is making them try to walk further than they can physically manage thus forcing them to avoid the city centre...not as bad as some people but i have mobility issues now and cant walk more than 5 mins without having to have a rest (2 arthritic knees :rolleyes: ) ..i have never driven but i am lucky as my bus stop is only a 3 min walk away and takes me straight to the high st but i do feel sorry for those who are worse off than i am... i only go into the city when i have to which is very rare nowadays as the city centre is now geared up for the young and fit..my advice to those who have to use the car parks is check before you set out that the car park is still standing...

lyn

Last edited:
john i have to agree with you...i have been saying for a long time now how the council are slowly but surely forgetting the needs of the elderly and disabled people..now they seem to be demolishing a lot of car parks but will they replace them?...many people who cant walk far to bus stops or stand on train platforms for long periods of time and struggle with wheelchairs or walking frames have to use their cars and park in the nearest car park to their destination...the lack of car parks coupled with all the diversions due to building works is making them try to walk further than they can physically manage thus forcing them to avoid the city centre...not as bad as some people but i have mobility issues now and cant walk more than 5 mins without having to have a rest (2 arthritic knees :rolleyes: ) ..i have never driven but i am lucky as my bus stop is only a 3 min walk away and takes me straight to the high st but i do feel sorry for those who are worse off than i am... i only go into the city when i have to which is very rare nowadays as the city centre is now geared up for the young and fit..my advice to those who have to use the car parks is check before you set out that the car park is still standing...

lyn
I used to walk a lot. I now have two artificial knees and one hip with severe arthritis in both feet and wear special shoes. I can drive but walking without stopping every two minutes is necessary. Understand not wanting drivers in the city but apartments without parking will make elderly residents targets.

lyn
Lyn I totally agree with you on this. I also have arthritis in my ankles and Knees, one is is a replacement. I cannot walk far either in the City centre. I usually park at my place of work when I come in to work, but appreciate others cannot do that. The nearest bus stop to me is 10 min walk (probably 5 mins for someone with good legs). The problem is I cannot stand travelling by bus, often they are overcrowded and no seats available it would be impossible for me to stand while it is in motion. Unfortunately these days not many folks would consider giving up their seat for you, even when you walk with a stick.

Lyn I totally agree with you on this. I also have arthritis in my ankles and Knees, one is is a replacement. I cannot walk far either in the City centre. I usually park at my place of work when I come in to work, but appreciate others cannot do that. The nearest bus stop to me is 10 min walk (probably 5 mins for someone with good legs). The problem is I cannot stand travelling by bus, often they are overcrowded and no seats available it would be impossible for me to stand while it is in motion. Unfortunately these days not many folks would consider giving up their seat for you, even when you walk with a stick.
To be fair to rail/bus passengers, I've been surprised how many people have offered me a seat, when I hobble on with my walking stick. However, you are right to say that there are a few that bury their head in their mobile phones or look the other way as you get on Janet. Fortunately they are in the minority, but it is very bad manners. When I was a lad my Nan told me to offer my seat to any adult, I did this and offered my seat to anyone older than me (much to the surprise of some fellow passengers), until I myself joined the ranks that merited being made such a kind offer, a few years ago.

We use to have regular trips to Birmingham. Old shopping habits die hard. But the city centre is now a disaster area as far as we are concerned, even trips to the jewellery quarter have now been stopped. For shopping areas to be successful they have to have quick free and convenient parking facilities. Otherwise they will gradually die.

Back