• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

213 Bristol Road, Edgbaston 1830's to 1880's

ToraPhillips

proper brummie kid
Hi, I am new to this forum so please excuse any mistakes I may make.
I am researching the history of 213 Bristol Road, the house my mother spent the early years of her life in. From 1934 to 1952. She is now 90 and has many fond memories of the place. She is very keen to find out about it's history, which I have done a lot, but, census information for those early years is not detailed and I can't find the property. I know it was built by the Calthorpe Estate in around 1830/40. can anyone help me with how to find out details of planning, when it was built, and why it was built like it was?
I don't live very near to Birmingham so trips to the library are not really possible.
Thank you and I welcome your comments.

An aerial view of the Bristol Rd showing how the area looked in 1952. Part of cricket ground top left with Edgbaston Rd running to the Pershore Rd and then Priory Rd towards the Bristol Rd. Half of a house can be seen on the right which might be No 213. Unfortunately the edge of the view did not include the junction with Priory road.
BristolRd_1952.jpg

A near matching modern aerial view.

BristolRoadNow.jpg

Wider 1952 view of the area
WideView1952.jpg
old images source 'britainfromabove' ... modern from Google.

Wow, thankyou everyone for replying. And for the pictures.
Yes I had found that old advert for 213 for Sale in 1961.
I do know the place is still there and have some good pictures from Google of it.
It's the early stuff I'm really interested in.
Could anyone tell me how to get copies of the early maps of this area? especially the 1889 one where house names are on it? Earlier ones too if possible? I was sure it had a name before the number and if I have a name I may be able to find older census details.
Thank you so much, this all feels really positive

There's a mention of the death a Dr Edmund Robinson, late of 213 Bristol Road in 1917 (Bham Daily Post).

He is listed at 101 Bristol Road in 1881. So he may have moved but there could have been a number change.

In the 1890 Kellys Dr Robinson is listed at that address as the public vaccinator

Sorry, do you mean 101 or 213?

There's a newspaper report 1890, for Dr Robinson about the vaccination of a child, his address is given as 213.

Looking at the 1881 census it does seem possible that there was a number change at some point (between 1881 and 1890)

Edmund Robinson listed at 101 Bristol Road is schedule no. 710 and Fern Bank, Bristol Road (the only named house near) is schedule no. 712. And Fern Bank is only a few houses from Tennerian Villa.

Edmund Robinson died at the age of 82 in 1917 while at 213 Bristol Rd.
He became a member of the Royal College of surgeons in 1855.

In April 1917 the Estate of Dr. Edmund Robinson was auctioned. It included 12 excellent freehold ground rents by properties in Walsall.

Looking at the 1881 census it does seem possible that there was a number change at some point (between 1881 and 1890)

Edmund Robinson listed at 101 Bristol Road is schedule no. 710 and Fern Bank, Bristol Road (the only named house near) is schedule no. 712. And Fern Bank is only a few houses from Tennerian Villa.
Yes the numbering of Bristol Road changed from consecutive to odd one side, even the other between the 1882 and 1883 Kellys

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Sorry, do you mean 101 or 213?

There's a newspaper report 1890, for Dr Robinson about the vaccination of a child, his address is given as 213.
213. I have details about Dr Robinson, it's the earlier occupants I'm interested in, thanks

Yes the numbering of Bristol Road changed from consecutive to odd one side, even the other between the 1882 and 1883 Kellys
Do you think that maybe he was at what is now 213 when it says he was at 101 then? in 1881. That would make sense. I can't find Tennerian Villa on any earlier census. Bit strange.

I am trying to view a tithe map of the area from 1851. It seems I can only view it online by using The Geneologist website, and subscribing. Does anyone know about this? It may help me with who was living there at that time.

Do you think that maybe he was at what is now 213 when it says he was at 101 then? in 1881. That would make sense. I can't find Tennerian Villa on any earlier census. Bit strange.

Yes, the house appears to have been 101 until 1882ish. Then the road was re-numbered (as Mike says) and it became 213. And at some stage subsequently the houses around there acquired names.

As I mentioned on the 1881 census only Fern Bank was named and by the 1889 map they were all named along there.

On 1881 census Edmund Robinson is listed at 101, he is is not listed there in the directory of 1876.
1876 Mrs Blood is listed (no further info available)
1868 George Smithson esq
1645190141197.png
1855 Looks as if it is Mr Horatio Southell but may not be the same house as there seem to be 2 houses listed under Grey Place (numbers 101 and 102)
earlier directories don't list by road but by surname.

I am trying to view a tithe map of the area from 1851. It seems I can only view it online by using The Geneologist website, and subscribing. Does anyone know about this? It may help me with who was living there at that time.
Unfortunately that map does not quite cover the right area!!

On 1881 census Edmund Robinson is listed at 101, he is is not listed there in the directory of 1876.
1876 Mrs Blood is listed (no further info available)
1868 George Smithson esq
View attachment 167595
1855 Looks as if it is Mr Horatio Southell but may not be the same house as there seem to be 2 houses listed under Grey Place (numbers 101 and 102)
earlier directories don't list by road but by surname.
Thankyou for this help. I am floundering though. What directory are you looking at please?
It is very confusing as the house is 213 Bristol Rd, then before that possibly 101, and before that Tennerian Villa, of which I can't find anything!

Back