• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1921 Census... City Hospital Perry Barr (Erdington)

AMW

master brummie
Hi

I have a relative who in 1921 lived at Upper Ryland Road, Edgbaston but was actually in the above hospital. Any ideas why this hospital in Perry Barr when surely Dudley Road hospital would have perhaps been nearer?

Best wishes
Alison

have to say i have never heard of a hospital in perry barr...which of course does not mean to say there was not one

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: AMW
alison what makes you think it was a hospital in perry barr...do you have a death cert that we could maybe take a look at..it may help

lyn

• Appreciate
The 1921 Kellys lists Perry Barr as separate from Birmingham , but there is no mention of a hospital there in the volume

• Appreciate

I don't think it's Jaffray, as it it appears to come under Aston district in 1921.

• Appreciate
It wouldn't be Dudley Road as that's only in fairly recent years that it's been known as the City Hospital.

• Appreciate
This is the Matron Agatha Ann Thompson. Is it a Sanitorium?

I think it may be Agatha Thornton, not that that helps.

I'm not sure how the 1921 census works but when looking at the image does it allow you to move to the next image? If so you can do this until you come to a record with an actual address which should narrow it down.

• Appreciate
Looking at the newspapers, it looks like all the hospitals in th ecity in the early 1900s were officially named City Hospital before the actualm site. But particularly note the following for City Hospital Witton

Birm post. 14.8.1914.jpg

One of my ancestors died in City Hospital, Perry Barr in 1914 - aged 2 years old - cause of death "Scarlet Fever" (Septic) Heart Failure.

His parents lived in Aston.

His death certificate states City Hospital, Perry Barr as do the burial records for St Peter & St Paul, Aston.

William.

One of my ancestors died in City Hospital, Perry Barr in 1914 - aged 2 years old - cause of death "Scarlet Fever" (Septic) Heart Failure.

His parents lived in Aston.

His death certificate states City Hospital, Perry Barr as do the burial records for St Peter & St Paul, Aston.

William.
how sad...my grandson 6 is just getting over scarlet fever...how far we have come with the use of antibiotics

lyn

Goodness footage sounds like a movie...Do you think it would have been an isolation hospital in 1921? Flora died in Q1 1922. So many of her young babies had died over several years that I thought it may have been some sort of mental hospital. I know she'd had a baby in Q1 1920 but he was alive on 1921 census.

By the way, thank you so much for all your replies. This truly is a great site.

Back