• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1920 -1948/49 Gertrude Lomas/ Walter Rawlins

All I know is Gertrude Tomlinson (my grandmother) Married a Henry Lomas (not my grandfather).

She was buried as Gertrude Lomas in 1949 2 years after the death of Henry Lomas (husband) and late partner Walter Rawlins died 1947 (my grandfather)....

This is a (partial) timeline as I see it...

1869 - Henry Lomas born, son of Henry Lomas & Hannah Woodcock (reg Arthur Henry)

1874 - Gertrude Tomlinson born, daughter of Joseph Tomlinson & Susannah Fletcher

1875 - Walter Rawlins born, son of William Rawlins & Caroline Dufty

1898 - Walter Rawlins marries Mary Ann Flint

1901 - Gertrude Tomlinson marries Henry Lomas

1905 - Frances Lily Moore (Henry Lomas' future wife marries George Thomas Moore

1908 - William Lomas, Henry & Gertrude's youngest child born

1909 - Alice May Rawlins, Walter & Mary Ann's youngest child born

1911 - Henry & Gertrude (and family) living together in Small Heath

1911 - Walter & Mary Ann Rawlins (and family) living together in Balsall Heath

1914 - Mary Ann Rawlins (first wife of Walter) dies

1914 - 1916 Walter & Gertrude get together ?

1916 - Phyllis Edna Rawlins, Walter & Gertrude's eldest child born

1918 - Henry Lomas marries Frances Lily Moore

1919 - Lily Lomas, Henry & Frances' eldest child born

1926 - Frances Lily Lomas (Henry's wife) dies (reg Lily)

1935 - Walter & Gertrude living at Highgate Road

1939 - Henry Lomas living at Upper Trinity St with William (son) & Lily (daughter)

1947 - Walter Rawlins dies

1947 - Henry Lomas dies (reg Arthur Henry)

1949 - Gertrude Lomas (Rawlins) dies (reg Gertrude G)

Superb MWS, many thanks for your insight - great work !

I will pass this on to my Brother & Sister..........

Respect x

1950 eroll (info collected before Gertrude died) at 29, The Hays, Kent Moat which came under Stechford for voting.
1632991877398.png

At the moment I can't find Gertrude on 1939 reg.
Hilda Williams with Albert Rawlins and Norman Rawlins are listed at 13 Mole street as posted earlier but no sign of Gertrude.

Hi, I realise this thread is a couple of years old but I've just come across it.

I am the great-granddaughter of Hilda May Rawlins (later; Williams).

After seeing this I passed the information on to my Nan (Hilda's daughter) to see if she was able to provide any further information.

She says her uncle Walter Rawlins did have a partner but believed she went by the name Maud. She said she doesnt think they ever married. She can't remember having any cousins via Walter. Hilda and Walter were somewhat estranged for a number of years but my Nan does remember going to see Walter play piano after she had attended Sunday school quite often. She remembers that after Walter died in 1947, Maud (possibly Gertrude?) Moved in with them for a couple of weeks however this was in Bordesley Green not Kitts Green. My Nan is absolutely sure Walter was buried in Yardley Cemetery. I checked on the council website and there is only one Walter Rawlins buried in Yardley Cemetery and this was in 1947.

It all seems to add up except my Nan doesn't remember Walter having any children and it never seems to have been mentioned.

I wonder if anyone was able to find more information? I'd love to let my Nan know.

Thanks

All the info I posted in post #33 appears to be correct.

Apart from Phyllis, Walter and Gertrude had twin sons born in 1920 - Norman and Albert. On the 1921 census Walter and Phyllis are living at Highgate Road with Norman and Albert, and William (Walter's son with Mary).

All the info I posted in post #33 appears to be correct.

Apart from Phyllis, Walter and Gertrude had twin sons born in 1920 - Norman and Albert. On the 1921 census Walter and Phyllis are living at Highgate Road with Norman and Albert, and William (Walter's son with Mary).
Thanks for your reply.

Your timeline makes sense so I think I may have got the wrong Walter. The only thing I'm not sure about is Walters death. I spoke with my Nan again and she is absolutely sure her uncle Walter died in 1947 and was buried in Yardley Cemetery. She said she remembers attending the funeral and that she was 13 years old at the time which would add up time wise.

Even if I've got the wrong Walter, this thread has been very interesting and has given me the bug to look into my own family history.

Thanks for your reply.

Your timeline makes sense so I think I may have got the wrong Walter. The only thing I'm not sure about is Walters death. I spoke with my Nan again and she is absolutely sure her uncle Walter died in 1947 and was buried in Yardley Cemetery. She said she remembers attending the funeral and that she was 13 years old at the time which would add up time wise.

Even if I've got the wrong Walter, this thread has been very interesting and has given me the bug to look into my own family history.

I think you do have the wrong Walter and Hilda. I think your Hilda was the daughter of a Walter John Rawlins and an Emily Carter-Lockyer. They also had a son Walter Gilbert.

Walter Gilbert died in 1948 and on the 1939 Register he is living on Newland Road (14) , listed with a Maud Rawlins, though there appear to be a couple of errors with Walter's listing.

Walter and Maud (Hinks) married in 1938.

Walter's widowed mother and brother are also on Newland Road (65) in 1939.

Not sure if the helps or not but....
Death registered 1947 March qtr Birmingham for Walter Rawlins aged 68
Buried Yardley Feb 1947

Also Sep qtr 1948 in Birmingham for Walter G Rawlins aged 51

I think you do have the wrong Walter and Hilda. I think your Hilda was the daughter of a Walter John Rawlins and an Emily Carter-Lockyer. They also had a son Walter Gilbert.

Walter Gilbert died in 1948 and on the 1939 Register he is living on Newland Road (14) , listed with a Maud Rawlins, though there appear to be a couple of errors with Walter's listing.

Walter and Maud (Hinks) married in 1938.

Walter's widowed mother and brother are also on Newland Road (65) in 1939.
Thank you so much for this information and your time. Very much appreciated.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back