• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1 Springfield, Erdington, Aston

jpsmyth

master brummie
Hi, I'm trying to find an original map / picture of the address 1 Springfield, Erdington, Aston where one of my ancesters lived. Shes was called Kate Mary Vaughan. I believe she was born at 9 MAY 1886 • 55 Stewart Street, Birmingham, Warwickshire. Her death I can't find, I believe her husband was called Bernard Ely. Any help would be much appreciated.

Kate was with her parents in Springfield road in 1891 andin 1901 Ash road Saltley
She married Bernard Ely in 1908

1911 census Nelson road Handsworth
Bernard Ely age 27 Barman
Kate 24
Bernard Archibald 2 yrs 1 month

Bernard snr died in 1917 and Kate married James murphy in 1920

1939 Nelson road handsworth
(1)James murphy age 49
(2)Kate age 52
(4)Bernard A Ely 31

Entry column (3) is blacked out and i think it may be James murphy born 1921 Aston mother Vaughan.

Bernard A Ely died in 1947

A map from around 1889. There may be house numbers on the 1950s map if someone has a copy, unfortunately I don't have this map.

Attachments

• sprigfield-erdington-1889approx.jpg
    sprigfield-erdington-1889approx.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 18
The above photo is of Bernard Ely and his wife Kate Mary Ely (Maiden name Vaughan) They are infront of a shop apparently they ran - whether they owned it is not known.

Details I have so far.....
Kate is clearly holding a baby, they had 2 children. Bernard Archibald Ely - 1908/1947 and Daisy Alice Ely 1912-????. Working on the basis it is baby Bernard Jnr, that places the photo circa 1908 which fits with Bernard's birth date. Bernard's baptism record show the family were living at "73 Electric Avenue"

1681360190515.png

In 1905 and 1908 73 Electric Avenue is listed as Willis Frederick Balmer shopkeeper.
So I would assume the Ely family ran the shop - unless they moved in after the directory was compiled. Fits with "manager" on the baptismal record.
By 1913 it was listed as a beer retailer

Last edited:
Appropriate in Electric Avenue! The shop sign behind the lamp says"'Electric Stores" I think. Nice use of location and type of business, easy to remember. Viv

Back