• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

‘Done Eat’ cafe in Brum 1900

Lozzie

proper brummie kid
My great grandmother Lizzie Ward lived in Coventry Street in the early 1900s and worked as a waitress at the Done Eat’ cafe.
Does anyone have any knowledge of this please ?

do you have a bit more info for us..such as was lizzies name elizabeth and what year was she born and are you researching lizzie ..the cafe or both..thanks

lyn

My grandmother was Nellie Ward (1899-1989) and born in Coventry Street Birmingham. I am attempting to establish details of her mother (she was illegitimate).
Her mother was I believe Martha Elizabeth Ward (or Elizabeth Martha) who was born in 1880 and eventually married when in her 30s and became Knowles.
On the 1901 census she is shown as Lizzie and a servant at what looks like the Done Eat cafe. I am trying to find any trace of this and its whereabouts.
I am researching my maternal history with the help of a distant cousin who has been very good. We have made much progress with more to go !
Lorraine

hi lozzie i am looking at the 1901 now and lizzie is living with her mother martha harris and step dad john harris..there is also a 1 year old grandaughter polly which i guess could be lizzies daughter..the writing is awful but i dont think it says done eat cafe but along side the word servant it looks like it says cook shop..maybe other members can help

lyn

Last edited:
hi lozzie i am looking at the 1901 now and lizzie is living with her mother martha harris and step dad john harris..there is also a 1 year old grandaughter polly which i guess could be lizzies daughter..the writing is awful but i dont think it says done eat cafe but along side the word servant it looks like it says cook shop..maybe other members can help

lyn
Hi Lyn,

Many thanks for your response. Yes I’ve looked at the 1901 census and also the 1891 too where they were living in Aston Union Workhouse. It seems like Martha Ward was widowed and ended up there with her father-in-law and her children. She then married John Harris and moved to Coventry Street. That is where my grandmother Nellie was born in 1899. She was baptised 10/1/1900 and her mother named as Elizabeth Ward (Lizzie) a spinster. Her father was shown just as Hickling.
I am trying to find Martha’s maiden name so that I am able to order a birth certificate for my grandmother.
With regard to the cafe I noted ‘cook shop’ but unsure of the other writing over the top.

The birth for James Harris is reg with mmn Ward but this may have been that she gave her former name.

Hi Lyn,

Many thanks for your response. Yes I’ve looked at the 1901 census and also the 1891 too where they were living in Aston Union Workhouse. It seems like Martha Ward was widowed and ended up there with her father-in-law and her children. She then married John Harris and moved to Coventry Street. That is where my grandmother Nellie was born in 1899. She was baptised 10/1/1900 and her mother named as Elizabeth Ward (Lizzie) a spinster. Her father was shown just as Hickling.
I am trying to find Martha’s maiden name so that I am able to order a birth certificate for my grandmother.
If your grandmother Nellie was baptised with mother Ward and a spinster then her mmn is Ward. Or is it Lizzie's birth cert you are trying to find?

Also on the 1891 census it has the word "widow" by Martha's name crossed out and "single" written.

Last edited:
I have searched for the birth records of the other "ward" children as per 1891 census but cannot find a set of birth with the same mmn. I am wondering if the elder Ward was her father and she was not married??

I can see a couple of registrations for Ward no mmn that match the children - Elizabeth, Beatrice & Alice maybe - can't see a marriage for Martha to John Harris.

Though there's a John Harris on Coventry St in 1891, married to a different woman.

Somewhat elusive, however I've found Martha's marriage to John Harris which would probably help to sort out her details. It was reg. Sep qtr 1914 Aston, somewhat after they were together.

In 1921 Martha is with John, still on Coventry St with son James, daughter Beatrice (Ward) and Nellie. I assumed they would be on Coventry St in 1911 as well but can't spot them.

i am having no luck either with the 1911..can only find the bapt for james harris b 1897..could be interesting to see what it says on martha and johns marr cert

lyn

Last edited:
In 1921 Martha is with John, still on Coventry St with son James, daughter Beatrice (Ward) and Nellie. I assumed they would be on Coventry St in 1911 as well but can't spot them.
Are you able to tell if it was in the same house?
If not they could be anywhere in 1911.

It appears to be 1 back 61 Coventry St in 1921. Not sure of the number in 1901, in 1891 John Harris (assuming he's the same one) is at 4 back 64 Coventry St.

in 1901 john and martha are at house 4 back of 59 coventry st

at 61 there is a hannah falkner head..john harris cousin age 11..william harris boarder wid

Hannah appears to have been a Harris, married John Faulkner in 1874. In 1891 John Harris is with wife and son, listed as Harry J, age corresponds with the John H Harris with Hannah in 1901.

Not at 1 back of 61 in 1911 that is a Lewis family.
I can't find 59 or any houses back of 59 - jumps from 58 to back of 61, No sign of Harris there.

Last edited:
We aren't sure that is what it says.
This is the entry - defintely says "cook shop" but no idea what is says over the word servant,
1689776745067.png

The first bit of that looks like 'Dom' to me as in Domestic perhaps, which does contradict cook shop though.

This is an addition by a person later transcribing the results fofr summerisinT. there is a line crossing the entry to show he has done it (similarly for other entries on the page) . The wording refers to where in the grouping of trades this person is to be placedNot sure about exact phrase, but eat to show it concerns working in an eating establishment. On the next page you can see that he has similarly made clear that a cask Hooper refers to a coopoer (barrel maker) and thast a horse keeper is a groom

ScreenHunter 6738.jpg

Not at 1 back of 61 in 1911 that is a Lewis family.
I can't find 59 or any houses back of 59 - jumps from 58 to back of 61, No sin of Harris there.

Looking at the 1890 map and the 1891 census, 61 to 65 appear to be a row of 5 houses each with a single house behind labelled as Twist's buildings.

58 is the Malt Shovel, there is 59 but no 60...

0 - Coventry St.jpg

It appears to be 1 back 61 Coventry St in 1921. Not sure of the number in 1901, in 1891 John Harris (assuming he's the same one) is at 4 back 64 Coventry St.
On 1920 eroll it is listed as
1689778741160.png
By 1925 only Martha is listed at that address.

In 1930 No sign of Martha but Beatrice and Mary (possibly the Mary Ann of the 1891 census) are there.

They seem to change the way the house is referred to. Can't find the Harris family but

1911 census has 2 back of 62 for a house listed as 2 back of 58 with the same family name on the 1920 eroll.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Thank you so much all of you for this information that is quite amazing ! I shall now carry on researching and let you know of my findings. Lorraine

Back