• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

    We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

  1. Lady Penelope

    OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

    Those photos are really good Pedro42, thank you. Just a little worried about the size of the sparrows! Penny
  2. Lady Penelope

    Birmingham Funded Lifeboats - James Pearce - Caister

    Confused?? I think it needs a phone call to my cousin and I'll do this just as soon as I get a chance. Meanwhile, thank you everybody for your contributions. They're all very interesting and merit a lot more attention.
  3. Lady Penelope

    Birmingham Funded Lifeboats - James Pearce - Caister

    Thank you all for your fantastic contributions. I shall be re-reading these again later but what a lot of information you've supplied. A round of applause I think! Penny
  4. Lady Penelope

    Birmingham Funded Lifeboats - James Pearce - Caister

    My cousin, who lives in Leicester and I regularly have a video chat and this time it was about a day trip to Gt Yarmouth he'd made. He paid a visit to the museum there and there was a picture of the lifeboat at Caister paid for by public subscription in Birmingham in 1857. Funds were also raised...
  5. Lady Penelope

    Its pjmburns (janice) Birthday

    Many Happy Returns Janice and thanks for all your help over the years. Penny
  6. Lady Penelope

    Water : Birmingham's water supply

    Not strictly on topic but this is a fact that I find amusing. Our postal address is Sutton Coldfield and halfway down the road used to be Erdington. After a re-jig the whole of the cul de sac is now in Sutton. It's only a very small road with 29 houses and our end is South Staffs Water so 'hard'...
  7. Lady Penelope

    Sutton Coldfield

    What a lot of information. Thank you all. I should think there was a Welsh connection somewhere with Jones and Gwynneth and what a strange name Guthlac is. English though apparently. I love the way that a question on this forum keeps bringing up more and more. Wonderful. Penny
  8. Lady Penelope

    Sutton Coldfield

    Bryn Teg is a village on Anglesey Janice, if I remember correctly. Penny
  9. Lady Penelope

    Sutton Coldfield

    Thank you Janice, whenever I see a property of that size I always wonder how they kept it tidy!! I expect they had servants, probably in that wing to the left of the main house. Not for me though.
  10. Lady Penelope

    Sutton Coldfield

    Thank you all for that information. As usual it exceeded any expectations. I was worried that it was a property which burned down some years ago but I don't think so as planning was applied for in 2020. I think it calls for a little trip out. Thanks again, Penny
  11. Lady Penelope

    Sutton Coldfield

    Hello Pedro and Janet, I was very impressed with all the information you discovered about The Leasowes and wondered if you could find anything for a house called Bryn Teg please? I know it is/was at 35 Bracebridge Road and I imagine it was another large property. It appears on the 1911 & 1921...
  12. Lady Penelope

    Locating Burials

    Thank you both. St Michael's is my church and it's possible that an error was made when the burial took place and complete details weren't entered. I'll keep looking! Thanks again,
  13. Lady Penelope

    Locating Burials

    Thanks Janice, yes, I think that is the case although someone found a burial for me through this site some time ago when I didn't know the church. The problem I have is that some children are buried in the churchyard and aren't on the stones and also a letter in the Archives states that one...
  14. Lady Penelope

    Locating Burials

    I'm wondering if anyone can help with this query please? I have been locating all the children from the local Orphanages who are buried at St Michael's, Boldmere. There are nearly 40 children buried in three separate graves and just one has still eluded me. Ronald Taylor was buried on 11 May...
  15. Lady Penelope

    MOSES IN BOLDMERE

    That's absolutely smashing, thank you Lyn. I really appreciate all the help I get from the Forum and this is just one example. Thanks again, Penny
  16. Lady Penelope

    MOSES IN BOLDMERE

    I'm looking for help with a newspaper article which appeared in 1975. It featured a baby found in a phone box in Boldmere and nicknamed 'Moses'. Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
  17. Lady Penelope

    Moseley Kings Heath Line

    Just after this line opened we were looking forward to using it. However, we encountered a problem for the return journey before we started. I was booking Passenger Assist to get to Kings Heath and all was fine on the outbound journey - into New Street, change and out again. But, later in the...
  18. Lady Penelope

    Metro- lack of progress

    I had a reply from the tram company but not very helpful I'm afraid because I couldn't supply the tram number (!!) or the exact time we travelled (!!). I knew that we must have been on the tram just in time to get the 3.36pm train to Chester Road but obviously not accurate enough. I had to...
  19. Lady Penelope

    Pype Manor Erdington

    Erdington Grammar was on the opposite side of Kingsbury Road to Wood End Hall which last time I looked was still there but knowing Birmingham is no longer. Erdington Hall Road was at the back of the school and the hall was demolished to make way for Tyburn Road during the beginning of the last...
  20. Lady Penelope

    Help With Map Please

    It was the churchyard that was extended for a second time not the church itself. The first time it was extended was in 1914 and the second time in 1937. When it was originally built it was a country church and as you can see from the maps it remained so for some time. The expansion of Birmingham...
Back
Top