• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Longbridge Factory

My grandad, Bertie Fred Bolton of Halesowen worked at Longbridge for many years as a press tool maker, sadly dying as a result of a work accident in 1954. I've found some family photos, two were presumably taken at the Longbridge plant. The others are of two cars (one with my grandad in the passenger seat) - which I am assuming would have come off the production line at Austin? The other is if my grandad in a group of people which I think could be a works outing. If these last 3 are off topic I'm happy to remove, but I don't really know why they exist as they were in a box of photos we found in the loft. Posting as would like to share with anyone who is interested. Of course, if anyone can offer any information about any of the photos, these would be greatly received.View attachment 185328
View attachment 185329
View attachment 185330
View attachment 185331View attachment 185332
Super photos!

My grandad, Bertie Fred Bolton of Halesowen worked at Longbridge for many years as a press tool maker, sadly dying as a result of a work accident in 1954. I've found some family photos, two were presumably taken at the Longbridge plant. The others are of two cars (one with my grandad in the passenger seat) - which I am assuming would have come off the production line at Austin? The other is if my grandad in a group of people which I think could be a works outing. If these last 3 are off topic I'm happy to remove, but I don't really know why they exist as they were in a box of photos we found in the loft. Posting as would like to share with anyone who is interested. Of course, if anyone can offer any information about any of the photos, these would be greatly received.View attachment 185328
View attachment 185329
View attachment 185330
View attachment 185331View attachment 185332
nice photos...looks like he is wearing a chauffeurs uniform in one of the photos..do you know the location of the 2 car photos ? as your grandad sadly died due to an accident at work i would think it was reported in the newspapers..

lyn

nice photos...looks like he is wearing a chauffeurs uniform in one of the photos..do you know the location of the 2 car photos ? as your grandad sadly died due to an accident at work i would think it was reported in the newspapers..

lyn
Hi Lyn,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you. I don't know where the car photos are taken, unfortunately. My grandad always lived around the Shell Corner area of Halesowen, but I've not spotted anything that matches the houses in the photos around there (I don't live in the area so it is tricky to decipher locations); I'm not sure if they had travelled somewhere else to have these photos taken. I'm not sure if the man in the chauffer uniform is family - there's no one still living who can give me any context for the photo, so I don't know if the subject of the photo is the person or the car.

Have had a look through some newspaper archives to see if I can find a report. No luck yet but I know articles are getting uploaded to all the times. The only clipping I have is one that my dad's family kept (attached).

Attachments

• Bertie Bolton - funeral_death info.jpg
    Bertie Bolton - funeral_death info.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 6
What a wonderful photo. The expression "they don't make them like that anymore" couldn't be more appropriate. Though I joined a few years ago, I have more time and I'm working my way around the site and am interested in Longbridge as my dad (James who died in 2004) worked there in the foundry from the early 1960s until 1974. It was a phenomenal plant that made so much of the car in a way that would seem quaint and highly inefficient now. Having visited the shopping centre that is now there it's so sad that almost nothing remains. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there anywhere in Birmingham that celebrates the days when the city was renowned for its ability to produce cars for every budget (I appreciate that we still make Jags but suspect most who use this site can't afford one)?
I am interested in the Foundry where your father worked. Do you know if it was North or East Works at Longbridge?

The foundry was North Works, next to the North Works machine shop.
I'm interested to know if you worked there and the years. Also if you know for sure the Foundry at North Works was there until the end and never moved to East Works. It might settle a debate

I'm interested to know if you worked there and the years. Also if you know for sure the Foundry at North Works was there until the end and never moved to East Works. It might settle a debate
I worked in the North Works machine shop and was gone by 1979. I had friends and acquaintances all over the plant and I'm not aware of a foundry in the East Works in my time there. However the factory was running for 26 years after I left and I couldn't vouch for the years after I left.

I just feel it's unlikely that there would be two foundries even in a factory of those proportions.

I worked in the North Works machine shop and was gone by 1979. I had friends and acquaintances all over the plant and I'm not aware of a foundry in the East Works in my time there. However the factory was running for 26 years after I left and I couldn't vouch for the years after I left.

I just feel it's unlikely that there would be two foundries even in a factory of those proportions.
Very useful, thanks. My research interest is Wellingborough Foundry that cast Blocks and Heads for BMC/BL, many of which were sent to Longbridge, we think North Works and likely your Machine Works. They were marked with a W in a complete diamond. Others produced at Courthouse Green, Coventry were marked with an M in an incomplete diamond. And then there was Beans, their castings marked with a B in a circle.

Very useful, thanks. My research interest is Wellingborough Foundry that cast Blocks and Heads for BMC/BL, many of which were sent to Longbridge, we think North Works and likely your Machine Works. They were marked with a W in a complete diamond. Others produced at Courthouse Green, Coventry were marked with an M in an incomplete diamond. And then there was Beans, their castings marked with a B in a circle.
In my years in the North Works machine shop the castings we were working on were A series, B series and, from circa 1978, O series. I hope that helps.

In my years in the North Works machine shop the castings we were working on were A series, B series and, from circa 1978, O series. I hope that helps.
In addition to Wellingborough, Beans and Coventry (Morris Engines), cylinder blocks and heads were supplied by West Yorkshire foundry in Leeds. In the 1970's and 1980's, I worked for the company that supplied the different coloured block and head paints for all of these sites.

In addition to Wellingborough, Beans and Coventry (Morris Engines), cylinder blocks and heads were supplied by West Yorkshire foundry in Leeds. In the 1970's and 1980's, I worked for the company that supplied the different coloured block and head paints for all of these sites.
Yes WYF. You could be very useful to my research. There has been some debate regarding the Wellingborough Foundry Block and Head colours on leaving the Foundry. My contacts who worked there say eau de lnil green but I also have a photo of Wellingborough Blocks from 1981 (year of closure) in what I believe is red oxide. We could discuss by private message as this is off topic?

Do you know if there was also a Machine Shop at East Works and if so did it receive castings from other Foundries?

Sadly it's a mass housing estate now there were alot of tunnels under the former works the former flight shed roof ended up in a Saltley scrapyard.

Some urban explorers did a few visits 28days later was one site, cofton park was where all the union meetings were held and at the east works there was a prototype jet engine car a former pond was used to test something as there was shakles embedded into the towpath.

Quite sad that it's all but gone now

The k series casting was at the east works lps it was called during the miners strike they stored coke for the boilers on the east works carpark also bare morris ital bodyshells...on there to.

The east works was a shadow factory in the war all that remains is a few road names which seem pitaful considering it's history.

My family always called it ‘the Austin’. All day we could hear a big thumping sound, presumably from the foundry hammer.

When I first started school I used to catch the bus at the top of Longbridge Lane and see the mini shells being loaded by cranes onto waiting Lorries to then be taken up Lickey Road into the assembly plant. They built a bridge not long after and the doors opening onto the Bristol Road were no longer needed.

Last edited:
Do you know if there was also a Machine Shop at East Works and if so did it receive castings from other Foundries?
There was quite a large machine shop at east works, machining gears and crankshafts from rough castings. They were then used on the engine assembly tracks also in east works. Some engines were taken to Oxford for the Marina that was made there. I was a fork lift driver unloading the trucks that transported the castings from Sheffield and another company in Leeds as well as other companies.
l think the north works foundry only supplied a small amount of castings for the engines made in the east works.

Back