• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Can anyone recommend a book about coin counterfeiting, fraud or forgery in the 18/19th century Birmingham?

Oaysis13

I'm an MA student at the University of Birmingham and was interested in basing my dissertation around this topic. I haven't found much secondary source material or books on this topic and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I've heard about figures like William Booth but I'm during blanks on any other counterfeiting activities in the area. Thanks! :)

Hi and welcome to Birmingham History Forum. It’s a super subject you have chosen and while I am not aware of any books on the subject, I do know counterfeiting, fraud or forgery was going on in Birmingham.

An opportunity maybe for some original research.

With the engraving, coin production and other fine skills in the area, its seems a no brainer. One of my ancestors was caught and imprisoned, then caught again and deported doing it.

Apparently, the forgers kept their trade to half-crowns and small numbers so as not to be come too obvious

The Barber Institute has a fine coin collection. They may know someone who could discuss the possibilities.
BMAG also has a coin collection, but I think there's no access until at least October.

William Booth is infamous. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Booth_(forger)
You probably know about him already. There was an archaeological study of Booth's Farm.

Ask your subject librarian to do a literature search for you.
Contact Dr Malcolm Dick for advice (he's now retired and an associate)
The Library of Birmingham or Birmingham and Midland Institute may have something useful.

Discuss your dissertation with your tutor, especially if you can't find much secondary material!

It is possible to find Victorian criminal records and historical / criminological studies. Forgery and passing off coins or notes were serious crimes. Is this something you would potentially study?

If you find any books, dissertations or articles then examine the bibliography and footnotes for relevant material.

A super subject as @Morturn says - but only a literature search and your tutor will say if this really is a suitable dissertation topic if you have little secondary material.

Good luck!

Thanks both, that's really helpful! It's just a tentative search for the time being, but I wanted to get ahead of the dissertation before term starts up again. I definitely think I'll pursue this further and will start having a look for some primary material (thanks Stokkie for pointing me in some helpful directions). I have a couple of back up ideas if I can't make this work, but will try and make this one stick! :)

Brilliant, thanks both, some really useful resources there. Done a bit more digging and have found some extra things, starting to look promising! Found some useful things here, as well as another interesting forgery figure - William Chaloner. I've also managed to find some reading material which should hopefully give me some extra leads. Thanks again for all the help!
Excellent! Be good to find evidence that Birmingham was notorious for coining before and after 1650 as in the Wikipedia account of William Chaloner. I didn't know about him. Newton's work at the mint has been getting attention. I'm guessing "Birmingham Groat" means a counterfeit one.

Popular article in History Today. https://www.historytoday.com/archive/birmingham-coiners-1770-1816

You will have access to lots of academic sources too. Being retired, I've lost my access to these. But looking good for a dissertation topic.

Back