• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

52 Gas Street

Heartland

master brummie
There is a proposal for replacing the Pinafore Factory building in Gas Street with a new set of high rise apartments that will again change the skyline in this corner of the Worcester & Birmingham Canal.

GasStreetBirmingham_View01_Final-Image_Portrait-scaled-e1719061534854-768x462.jpg

They intend to retain a former toll house but aim to destroy the former canal stable block and replace it with steps down to Holliday Street.

GasSt-IM-240513-Staircase-section_tree-768x469.jpg

not sure which buildings are to go...is the one on the right painted white along with the smaller building to the left of it ?i

lyn

The image shows the new structures that replace 52-60 Gas Street
Those interested to comment the application at Birmingham Council is 2024/03468/PA

This arial view shows the buildings in bottom right847009.png

Last edited:
I have made my objections to the planning application.

Here are a few words of guidance if anyone nbeed them

I am writing to express my strong objection to the proposed planning permission to demolish the historic building located at 52-60 Gas Street. The building, has been a landmark in our community for generations, is a valuable part of our cultural heritage and should be preserved for future generations.

It is not only an architectural treasure but also a testament to the history and culture of our community. The building has played a significant role in shaping the character of our city and has been a source of pride for many residents.

Demolishing the building would not only result in the loss of a unique and irreplaceable piece of our cultural heritage but also have a negative impact on the surrounding neighbourhood. The building's destruction would likely lead to a loss of character and charm, replacing it with a modern development that would not be as aesthetically pleasing or historically significant. I would invite you to also consider that this example would be crucial to the promotion of good built and historic environment conservation policy and practice.

Furthermore, I believe that there are alternative options that could be explored to preserve the building and adapt it for reuse. The building could be restored and repurposed as a museum, art gallery, or community centre, or other commercial activity which would not only preserve its historical significance but also provide a valuable resource for the community.

Therefore, I respectfully request that you deny the planning permission to demolish the historic building at 52-60 Gas Street. Instead, I urge you to work with local preservation groups and stakeholders to explore alternative solutions that would allow us to preserve this valuable piece of our cultural heritage.

Thank you for considering my objections. I look forward to hearing your decision on this matter.

Well done Moturn

I have yet to establish the architect and it seems the factory building was enlarged, probably in the toy factory period
Yet it is the Stable building which has the most heritage. How many canal stables remain in Birmingham? There are railway stables at Hockley Port. the former Crowley & Co stables exist at Coseley and also at Horseleyfields in Wolverhampton and there are stables close to the level crossing at Langley Green perhaps others can add more examples.

The Stables became the Opposite Lock and then Bobby Browns, may be people have memories of these night clubs.

847054.jpg

And another part of the ariel view

stable.png

Having checked the Building plans with the help of archivist at Birmingham Library, It was plan 15634 for May 9th 1900 where Mulliners Ltd as George Kenrick & Son to prepare a plan for shopping beside the towpath of the Worcester & Birmingham Canal.

There were a ground floor, first and second floor and a top floor referred to as a flat. The plan include a house to the north and a boiler house to the south and lifts between floors.

Mulliners were then engaged in coach building, became Mulliner Wrigley and then Mulliner again. They were keen to develop all forms of vehicle making and engineering. They acquired a cycle tube factory in Coventry and enlarged the premises to make gun carriages. That works became the Coventry Ordnance Works.

But what of the Gas Street premises?
They made carriages at a works on the corner of Gas Street and Broad Street and then developed a business for building bodies for petrol chasis vehicles

The east side of Gas Street that was 52 Gas Street these premises seem to have been completed by 1902, but as to use the structure as built seems not to have had the house, as this evidently was the toll office at one time.

If used for motor cars or not, the layout of the building would suggest that this was an early vision of H H Mulliner, the proprietor and makes this building immensely important in early times of the motor car and the heritage value alone means that a careful study of the building needs to done before developers destroy it.

The pinafore factory transferred here in the summer of 1906 and they were advertising for staff in September 1906

Last edited:
Back