• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham Anglers' Association

A friend of my father owned the Riverside Cafe and he used to go and help out there at the weekends. In the 60s it was amazing how many breakfasts that they provided especially on a Sunday. Several coaches would arrive at slightly different times so the cook get their sandwiches before the start of the contests. The fair would close after the season ended but the Cafe was opened for harden anglers !

Plenty of days at Bewdley. Postcard picture. Bewdley Bridge by J Wood 1823, and present view.

Caught a few nice trout one day trotting on worms, from behind where the pictures are taken. On the shallow section.

IMG_3464.jpeg

Present view.

IMG_3187.jpeg

Many years ago my husbands father was fishing a BAA contest on the Severn when he fell into the river, a young angler jumped in to help him.
The BAA awarded the young man life membership for his actions.

Many years ago my husbands father was fishing a BAA contest on the Severn when he fell into the river, a young angler jumped in to help him.
The BAA awarded the young man life membership for his actions.
The same thing happened when Pete was fishing a contest and further up two lads decided to swim across the river. On their way back one got into serious difficulty and I ended up going in for him. Good job I had been well trained at that time.

Plenty of days at Bewdley. Postcard picture. Bewdley Bridge by J Wood 1823, and present view.

Caught a few nice trout one day trotting on worms, from behind where the pictures are taken. On the shallow section.

View attachment 184379

Present view.

View attachment 184380
Time has served that area very very well! Have not thought about Bewdley in a very long time and used to go frequently. Thanks for sharing Pedro!

“Mr. H. Higgs, steward of the King's Norton ex-Service Men's Club, Cotteridge, examining an 11and 3/4lb. pike, caught by Mr. Roland Pugh, a club mem-ber. When later, this ish When landed, this fish was found with the smaller 2 and 3/4 lb. pike wedged in its mouth.”
(Evening Despatch, February 1950)

IMG_0613.jpeg

“Mr. H. Higgs, steward of the King's Norton ex-Service Men's Club, Cotteridge, examining an 11and 3/4lb. pike, caught by Mr. Roland Pugh, a club mem-ber. When later, this ish When landed, this fish was found with the smaller 2 and 3/4 lb. pike wedged in its mouth.”
(Evening Despatch, February 1950)

View attachment 192351
I have caught one pike in my life (a lot smaller than the picture), as soon as I realized what it was, I cut the line! If you don’t know what you are doing, they are very nasty!

The pub near the Hampton Loade Ferry is now called the River & Rail. Does anyone know if it was known by a different name in the 60s and 70s?

I think it was originally a cafe/tea room of some sort. The more traditional pub just to the south on that side of the river was called the Lion. I think that has long gone.

I do remember the Lion; the landlord was a most awkward and difficult individual. If you did not know your table number, he just would not serve you and apparently was always letting down tyres on car parked in his car park. It shut down over twenty years ago so no surprise there.

I don’t recall what the River & Rail was originally called, but it was a super place. Served great food, we would call in there on our canoe trips. The owner was a guy called Dave and there was a manager called Clive, both good guys.

Dave retired and Clive moved to a pub called The Three Horseshoes at Alverley. The people who bought the River & Rail also ran The Crooked House. They did not reopen the River & Rail for quite a few months and when they did, could not make up their minds what the opening times would be or what food or even a theme. Considering the River & Rail was thriving community pub that was always quiet busy with canoeists, walkers, fishermen, locals and casual callers, it seemed a no brainier.

Last time I looked a couple of weeks ago, it seemed to be shut down now.

I do remember the Lion; the landlord was a most awkward and difficult individual. If you did not know your table number, he just would not serve you and apparently was always letting down tyres on car parked in his car park. It shut down over twenty years ago so no surprise there.

I don’t recall what the River & Rail was originally called, but it was a super place. Served great food, we would call in there on our canoe trips. The owner was a guy called Dave and there was a manager called Clive, both good guys.

Dave retired and Clive moved to a pub called The Three Horseshoes at Alverley. The people who bought the River & Rail also ran The Crooked House. They did not reopen the River & Rail for quite a few months and when they did, could not make up their minds what the opening times would be or what food or even a theme. Considering the River & Rail was thriving community pub that was always quiet busy with canoeists, walkers, fishermen, locals and casual callers, it seemed a no brainier.

Last time I looked a couple of weeks ago, it seemed to be shut down now.
Sounds like not very much in the way of business sense.

Dad lived for fishing and he joined the BAA and also took me and my Brother with him - both pleasure and contests. Most of the time we went to B'ham / Worc canal around Hopwood, Barnt Green, Withybed and further down to Tardebigge and Oddingley. Also to the Severn and Avon.Sometimes for a change he loved to go to Lifford Resa and one time we went " somewhere out in the country" to a paid pool when Dad and Brother let me fish the prime peg and I have never ever seen as many fish in my life...all Tench and must have been well over 100lb - and thats not a fishermans tale !!
Pic are modern shots at "the concrete" on B'ham/Worc canal at Barnt Green - it overlooks Bittell Resa....us lads could get here from the 147 Midland Red bus stop at Roberts corner or sometimes on our bikes.

Attachments

• _MG_9346.jpg
    _MG_9346.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 8
  • _MG_9344.jpg
    _MG_9344.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 8
  • _MG_9343.jpg
    _MG_9343.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 8
Dad lived for fishing and he joined the BAA and also took me and my Brother with him - both pleasure and contests. Most of the time we went to B'ham / Worc canal around Hopwood, Barnt Green, Withybed and further down to Tardebigge and Oddingley. Also to the Severn and Avon.Sometimes for a change he loved to go to Lifford Resa and one time we went " somewhere out in the country" to a paid pool when Dad and Brother let me fish the prime peg and I have never ever seen as many fish in my life...all Tench and must have been well over 100lb - and thats not a fishermans tale !!
Pic are modern shots at "the concrete" on B'ham/Worc canal at Barnt Green - it overlooks Bittell Resa....us lads could get here from the 147 Midland Red bus stop at Roberts corner or sometimes on our bikes.
Keith, that's a great piece of family history & a little geography! Much more than a fishing story.

Sounds just like my own youth, including Lifford and the pool "somewhere out in the country" and yes, the netfull of tench. No brother though but we always took my schoolmate with us. I'll post your post on to him. Thanks for the memories. Bill

I wonder if that 'place in the country' was where our dad used to take us, we knew it as Fernhill Heath because that was where the Midland Red dropped us off but I later found it was actually Martin Hussingtree somewhere between Droitwich and Worcester.
I recall us walking what seemed like about three miles (a country mile) to Droitwich one night to catch the last bus home.

I never knew where the Place in the country was but will ask if my brother remembers anything next time i see him.

Back